This Week's SATURDAY SHORTS: Genres Galore!
Hello ladies and gentlemen, your pal Muldoon here taking a break from the fun Oak Cliff Film Festival to bring you your very own film fest with this week's edition of SATURDAY SHORTS. Genres, genres everywhere - I hope you're in the mood for a mix match of great films, becuase that's exactly what I have for you today. Seriously, this week's picks are kind of all over the place, but they've all got something that made me think "The universe should check this flick out." "But Muldoon, can these shorts possibly be that good?" My dear friends, of course - now on with the show! Bam!
Go grab yourself some popcorn, lock your kids in a closet, kill the lights, relax and check out this little weekly film fest we've got ourselves here:
THE TEA PARTY
From director Cameron McCulloch we have this fun dip into the world of "WTF?" It's a synopses we can all relate to, being on a hot date when our stuffed animals start talking and screwing things up. "Princess has waited a long time to finally meet her Prince Charming, the only thing standing in their way is her foul mouthed pets and the lack of a condiment." If you dig what you see, you should go hit up the film's Facebook page or check out Cameron's new feature he's in the process of making.
Joshua David Mathews kills it with this slice of the old west. "Kentucky, 1864 -- A young carpenter decides to hang himself. The despair and heartache of living alone after his beautiful wife passes away, taking with her their unborn child, is far too great for him to bear any longer. The empty hours begin wearing down on him. His mind slowly grows insane, causing him to forget the face of his wife. However, before he has a chance to die, a woman, chased by a relentless bounty hunter, breaks into his farmhouse in search for shelter. Confusion sets in when the carpenter believes the dying woman to be his lost wife, and with it comes a new-found sense of duty. He now has something to live for. Something to fight for."
THE EARTH REJECTS HIM
Up next we have a film from Jared Skolnick. "A young boy discovers a corpse while biking in the woods, then faces unexpected and macabre consequences when he tries to bury it." Chek out the film's Facebook page.
This film makes me not want to drink. I kid... I have a problem, but hey there's no problem with this film. Danny Gonzalez mixes humor and horror in a slightly twisted sitcom-ish way. "Hangin' is about a hangover so bad that Stan wakes up feeling like he just died. His girlfriend is on her way over to take him out for a birthday meal and the girl he lying next to him won't leave. However it soon becomes apparent that guilt is not the only feeling his infidelity is causing."
FACES: WHY DO WE HATE THEM?
From the UCB gang and director Adam Catino, here's an educational video that will leave you scratching your head and laughing at the same time.
Bam! That's it for this week, folks. I'm literally running off to go back to the Oak Cliff Film Fest, so apologies for the lack of text in this week's edition. I'll see you guys and gals next week where I'm thinking horror or sci-fi. But hey, feel free to peruse the library of great shorts, by clicking any of the links below!
If you have a short and think it belongs here or are on the fence about whether to send it in, please do send it in - I'd love to see what you've put together. I've already seen hundreds of fresh new filmmakers' shorts and like any good addict, I need more!
Shoot me an email at "Mike@aintitcool.com"
In the subject line include:
“SHORTS” + “Your film’s name” + “The film’s genre”
Then, in the body of the email, please include a synopsis of the film and any contact information you might think I need or would want published. The more info you send my way, the more info there is to put with your short.
Please don’t feel the need to submit multiple times.
Remember, the filmmakers might still be in the audience, so feel free to share your thoughts in Talkbacks below. (JUST DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE). I picked them, so you know I think highly of all of these, but how about you fine folks? How'd you like 'em?
- Mike McCutchen
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 3rd Official X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST trailer hits - and it is a big one!!! -- 373 total posts 363 posts
- ‘A Gift From The Clairvoyant!!’ Patton Oswalt Joins Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! Seinfeld On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! The Returns Of NEW GIRL, AWKWARD & WIFE SWAP!! The Premiere Of FARGO!! Plus New BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, PERSON, TOSH, NCIS, GLEE, FIRE, CONTAINER, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL & VOICE!! TEEN MOM Finale Special!! DANCE MOMS 100!! HARDCORE PAWN Finale!! Nathan Fillion & Tatiana Maslany on CONAN!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 169 total posts 63 posts
- Matthew Vaughn to get SUPERIOR to stay in the Mark Millar business for Fox! -- 63 total posts 47 posts
- The Composer For That BATMAN / SUPERMAN Movie Is… -- 266 total posts 44 posts
- Everyone thinks Elizabeth Banks is a hooker in this red-band WALK OF SHAME trailer! -- 65 total posts 39 posts
- Jaden Smith will dress like a girl to avoid slavery in THE GOOD LORD BIRD! -- 87 total posts 35 posts
- THE SIGNAL and V/H/S co-director David Bruckner to direct the found footage FRIDAY THE 13TH reboot?! -- 87 total posts 28 posts
- Prestige Worldwide will reunite as Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, and Adam McKay will re-team on BORDER GUARDS! -- 42 total posts 20 posts
- 3rd week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: Welles,Wilder,Svankmajer, Mann,Jeong, Sirk,Trier & more!!! -- 120 total posts 17 posts
- Stallone Talks EXPENDABLES Casting Approach!! Nicholson!?!? -- 17 total posts 17 posts