Kick-Ass news for AVENGERS 2!! Aaron Taylor-Johnson being eyed to play Quicksilver!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
A couple weeks back, we reported that Bryan Singer and Joss Whedon were both going to use Quicksilver in their films, X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and AVENGERS 2, respectively, and that Evan Peters was going to play the role in Singer's film. Now, we get word, via The Wrap that Kick-Ass himself, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, is in talks to join Whedon's crew as their incarnation of the superfast son of Magneto, Pietro Maximoff. Given that Taylor-Johnson is a much bigger name than the unknown Peters, and considering what we've been hearing in the press, Quicksilver's role will be much more prominent in AVENGERS 2 than in Singer's X-MEN flick, where he seems to just have a bit part. This should make the bitter pill of having two Quicksilvers within a year of each other a little easier to swallow; I don't remember hearing people complaining too loudly when Singer's original, and brief, incarnations of Kitty Pryde and Hank McCoy were recast in X-MEN: THE LAST STAND.
I'm not super-familiar with Quicksilver's role in the Marvel-verse, aside from his powers and his relationship to Magneto (which, you can bet, Whedon's script will tiptoe around), but Taylor-Johnson's casting here would be a welcome addition to the AVENGERS line-up. He's exhibited his talent in films like SAVAGES and NOWHERE BOY, not to mention obviously earning his geek mettle in the titular role of KICK-ASS. If they lock down Saoirse Ronan for Pietro's sister, Wanda a.k.a. Scarlet Witch, which has been rumored, then they'll have two of the more talented, upstart young actors around to clash with their older, more established mainstays. And wouldn't they be a cute brother-sister team?
On a side note, even though Joss maintains that he will not do AVENGERS 2 without Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man, Marvel has yet to strike a deal with the megastar. I don't think anyone they get to play the new-jack Avengers will erase the sting that will come with seeing someone else in the red suit, or, perhaps even worse, not seeing the character at all. We'll see how Marvel hashes out their in-house financial deals in the coming months.
AVENGERS 2 will be released on May 1st, 2015.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 340 total posts 340 posts
- Robin Williams May Return As Mrs. Doubtfire! -- 212 total posts 163 posts
- Nordling Reviews TRANSCENDENCE! -- 147 total posts 147 posts
- Who wants to see one of GODZILLA's opponents from the new film!?! (In toy form) -- 300 total posts 140 posts
- Set photos from the set of STAR WARS EPISODE VII in Abu Dhabi?! What's that big round disc they're rolling around?? -- 267 total posts 108 posts
- The first trailer for Clint Eastwood's JERSEY BOYS is here! -- 72 total posts 72 posts
- Denzel Washington Walks In The Middle Of The Street In THE EQUALIZER Teaser Poster! -- 93 total posts 63 posts
- There's some cross-promotion going on in the credits of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2, and it's not hinting at what you think! -- 102 total posts 57 posts
- Here’s A Poster And Trailer For THE ROVER - Guy Pearce In A Post Apocalyptic Hell Down Under!! -- 48 total posts 48 posts
- Re-Revised X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST Casting Re-Adds A Mutant!! -- 163 total posts 44 posts