Auto-erotic asphyxiation, indeed! James McAvoy gets some FILTH on him in this red-band trailer!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
James McAvoy really lets his freak flag fly in the new movie from Jon S. Baird (GREEN STREET HOOLIGANS) based on a novel by Irvine Welsh (TRAINSPOTTING). And I'm not talking about the sort of cheekiness, woman chasing or obsession with the female anatomy we've seen from him in the past. I'm talking wanton drug use, trafficking, unjustified violence, child molestation, and, the old standby, auto-erotic asphyxiation. The kicker? He's a freakin' cozzer (policeman)!
The trailer is more focused on style and energy than it is on the story, which involves McAvoy's corrupt-as-hell cop crumbling under the weight of his own criminal habits and depravity, but man, it makes an impression. There's some raunchy stuff in this trailer, rivaling Welsh's TRAINSPOTTING in its unflinching attitude towards the nastiness on display. There would appear to be some cool parts for Jamie Bell, Jim Broadbent (seemingly channeling his BRAZIL character), Eddie Marsan, and Imogen Poots, but it's McAvoy's lead that seems to be having the most fun. After playing relatively straight arrows in films like LAST KING OF SCOTLAND, X-MEN: FIRST CLASS, and even TRANCE, it's cool to see him let loose and play someone so clearly defined by their amoral, evil ways. I like when the trailer goes full-surreal in the last minute, implying that the film will make a real effort to put us in this sicko's shoes, and not keep him at arm's length. Add to that a score by REQUIEM FOR A DREAM's Clint Mansell, and the ingredients for a British black comedy that sears itself into the memory are certainly there.
FILTH opens in the U.K. on September 27. No word on when it'll hit the U.S., probably via limited release and/or VOD; can't imagine a 3000 theater rollout for this one.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The LEFTOVERS Finale And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS, STAR TREK, SNL, NFL, HBO & Tivo News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 378 total posts 367 posts
- 2nd Sept 2014 PICKS & PEEKS Column: CAP 2, Pumpkinhead, Toho, Addams, Star Trek, Slashers, Comedy & Action+ -- 1515 total posts 343 posts
- ‘Listen’!! Reader Reaction To DOCTOR WHO S08E04 Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk Reviews The ‘Zygon Hunt’ Big Finish Audio, And More!! -- 410 total posts 122 posts
- Morgan Freeman Joins the Cast of BEN-HUR! -- 220 total posts 70 posts
- Kelvington Says Tonight’s DOCTOR WHO Is A Perfect Episode – Were It Not For The Episode’s Foreshadowing!! -- 117 total posts 63 posts
- Drone Videos Reveal Expanse Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII Set!! + More Falcon / X-Wing Shots!! -- 429 total posts 37 posts
‘Why Must It Always
Hercules Loves The Return Of Nelson Van Alden In Tonight’s BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! -- 22 total posts 22 posts
- Hercules Says Syfy’s New Zombie Series Z NATION Is Even Worse Than THE WALKING DEAD’s Farm Episodes!! -- 166 total posts 17 posts
- The Jurors Return To The BIG BROTHER House!! PBS’ ROOSEVELTS Premiere!! New STRAIN, MANHATTAN, SEX, NAKED & RAY!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 11 total posts 11 posts
- Capone talks finding comedy within tragedy with THE SKELETON TWINS' director/co-writer Craig Johnson!!! -- 7 total posts 6 posts