Auto-erotic asphyxiation, indeed! James McAvoy gets some FILTH on him in this red-band trailer!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
James McAvoy really lets his freak flag fly in the new movie from Jon S. Baird (GREEN STREET HOOLIGANS) based on a novel by Irvine Welsh (TRAINSPOTTING). And I'm not talking about the sort of cheekiness, woman chasing or obsession with the female anatomy we've seen from him in the past. I'm talking wanton drug use, trafficking, unjustified violence, child molestation, and, the old standby, auto-erotic asphyxiation. The kicker? He's a freakin' cozzer (policeman)!
The trailer is more focused on style and energy than it is on the story, which involves McAvoy's corrupt-as-hell cop crumbling under the weight of his own criminal habits and depravity, but man, it makes an impression. There's some raunchy stuff in this trailer, rivaling Welsh's TRAINSPOTTING in its unflinching attitude towards the nastiness on display. There would appear to be some cool parts for Jamie Bell, Jim Broadbent (seemingly channeling his BRAZIL character), Eddie Marsan, and Imogen Poots, but it's McAvoy's lead that seems to be having the most fun. After playing relatively straight arrows in films like LAST KING OF SCOTLAND, X-MEN: FIRST CLASS, and even TRANCE, it's cool to see him let loose and play someone so clearly defined by their amoral, evil ways. I like when the trailer goes full-surreal in the last minute, implying that the film will make a real effort to put us in this sicko's shoes, and not keep him at arm's length. Add to that a score by REQUIEM FOR A DREAM's Clint Mansell, and the ingredients for a British black comedy that sears itself into the memory are certainly there.
FILTH opens in the U.K. on September 27. No word on when it'll hit the U.S., probably via limited release and/or VOD; can't imagine a 3000 theater rollout for this one.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 3rd Official X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST trailer hits - and it is a big one!!! -- 478 total posts 468 posts
- Stallone Talks EXPENDABLES Casting Approach!! Nicholson!?!? -- 238 total posts 238 posts
- Some Wicked Cool Stills For The Upcoming BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT Game!! -- 139 total posts 139 posts
- Re-Revised X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST Casting Re-Adds A Mutant!! -- 108 total posts 108 posts
- ‘A Gift From The Clairvoyant!!’ Patton Oswalt Joins Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! Seinfeld On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! The Returns Of NEW GIRL, AWKWARD & WIFE SWAP!! The Premiere Of FARGO!! Plus New BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, PERSON, TOSH, NCIS, GLEE, FIRE, CONTAINER, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL & VOICE!! TEEN MOM Finale Special!! DANCE MOMS 100!! HARDCORE PAWN Finale!! Nathan Fillion & Tatiana Maslany on CONAN!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 201 total posts 95 posts
- Who wants to see one of GODZILLA's opponents from the new film!?! (In toy form) -- 93 total posts 93 posts
- Set photos from the set of STAR WARS EPISODE VII in Abu Dhabi?! What's that big round disc they're rolling around?? -- 93 total posts 93 posts
- The Composer For That BATMAN / SUPERMAN Movie Is… -- 283 total posts 61 posts
- This nifty teaser for Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO hints at some freaky stuff going on in the Amazon! -- 60 total posts 60 posts
- Matthew Vaughn to get SUPERIOR to stay in the Mark Millar business for Fox! -- 69 total posts 53 posts