Auto-erotic asphyxiation, indeed! James McAvoy gets some FILTH on him in this red-band trailer!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
James McAvoy really lets his freak flag fly in the new movie from Jon S. Baird (GREEN STREET HOOLIGANS) based on a novel by Irvine Welsh (TRAINSPOTTING). And I'm not talking about the sort of cheekiness, woman chasing or obsession with the female anatomy we've seen from him in the past. I'm talking wanton drug use, trafficking, unjustified violence, child molestation, and, the old standby, auto-erotic asphyxiation. The kicker? He's a freakin' cozzer (policeman)!
The trailer is more focused on style and energy than it is on the story, which involves McAvoy's corrupt-as-hell cop crumbling under the weight of his own criminal habits and depravity, but man, it makes an impression. There's some raunchy stuff in this trailer, rivaling Welsh's TRAINSPOTTING in its unflinching attitude towards the nastiness on display. There would appear to be some cool parts for Jamie Bell, Jim Broadbent (seemingly channeling his BRAZIL character), Eddie Marsan, and Imogen Poots, but it's McAvoy's lead that seems to be having the most fun. After playing relatively straight arrows in films like LAST KING OF SCOTLAND, X-MEN: FIRST CLASS, and even TRANCE, it's cool to see him let loose and play someone so clearly defined by their amoral, evil ways. I like when the trailer goes full-surreal in the last minute, implying that the film will make a real effort to put us in this sicko's shoes, and not keep him at arm's length. Add to that a score by REQUIEM FOR A DREAM's Clint Mansell, and the ingredients for a British black comedy that sears itself into the memory are certainly there.
FILTH opens in the U.K. on September 27. No word on when it'll hit the U.S., probably via limited release and/or VOD; can't imagine a 3000 theater rollout for this one.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Sony has hired a writer for BAD BOYS 3, plus updates on the MEN IN BLACK and GHOSTBUSTERS franchises!! -- 123 total posts 43 posts
- Trailer for LEGENDS OF OZ: DOROTHY'S RETURN! -- 94 total posts 20 posts
- Ohmygod Ohmygod, you guys! The Godzilla trailer! -- 571 total posts 14 posts
- WORLD WAR Z 2 is a go and Paramount has found a director to helm the sequel. -- 82 total posts 11 posts
- Jason Momoa to potentially play Doomsday in the upcoming BATMAN/SUPERMAN film!?!? -- 545 total posts 11 posts
- ‘That Seat Is Taken!!’ The Return Of AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ANARCHY, MOONSHINERS & INCOME Finales!! Galactic Pioneers On FUTURESCAPE!! New TROPHY, AWKWARD, STORAGE, NCIS, LOSER, VOICE, FIRE, TOSH!! Tom Hanks On KIMMEL!! Michelle Dockery On FALLON!! Lizzy Caplan On CHELSEA!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 50 total posts 9 posts
- The Trailer For The Wachowskis' JUPITER ASCENDING! -- 318 total posts 8 posts
- A sequel to JACK REACHER is on the way! -- 199 total posts 6 posts
- Ben Whishaw to Play Freddie Mercury! Dexter Fletcher on Board to Direct! -- 93 total posts 5 posts
- Nordling Recaps BNAT 15! -- 194 total posts 5 posts