Auto-erotic asphyxiation, indeed! James McAvoy gets some FILTH on him in this red-band trailer!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
James McAvoy really lets his freak flag fly in the new movie from Jon S. Baird (GREEN STREET HOOLIGANS) based on a novel by Irvine Welsh (TRAINSPOTTING). And I'm not talking about the sort of cheekiness, woman chasing or obsession with the female anatomy we've seen from him in the past. I'm talking wanton drug use, trafficking, unjustified violence, child molestation, and, the old standby, auto-erotic asphyxiation. The kicker? He's a freakin' cozzer (policeman)!
The trailer is more focused on style and energy than it is on the story, which involves McAvoy's corrupt-as-hell cop crumbling under the weight of his own criminal habits and depravity, but man, it makes an impression. There's some raunchy stuff in this trailer, rivaling Welsh's TRAINSPOTTING in its unflinching attitude towards the nastiness on display. There would appear to be some cool parts for Jamie Bell, Jim Broadbent (seemingly channeling his BRAZIL character), Eddie Marsan, and Imogen Poots, but it's McAvoy's lead that seems to be having the most fun. After playing relatively straight arrows in films like LAST KING OF SCOTLAND, X-MEN: FIRST CLASS, and even TRANCE, it's cool to see him let loose and play someone so clearly defined by their amoral, evil ways. I like when the trailer goes full-surreal in the last minute, implying that the film will make a real effort to put us in this sicko's shoes, and not keep him at arm's length. Add to that a score by REQUIEM FOR A DREAM's Clint Mansell, and the ingredients for a British black comedy that sears itself into the memory are certainly there.
FILTH opens in the U.K. on September 27. No word on when it'll hit the U.S., probably via limited release and/or VOD; can't imagine a 3000 theater rollout for this one.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 130 total posts 130 posts
- Learn What Happens Next On HBO’s GAME OF THRONES!! -- 137 total posts 61 posts
- All 13 Season-Six Episodes Of CLONE WARS Land On Netflix!! Joan Jett On LETTERMAN!! Kenan Thompson On MEYERS!! TRAIN YOUR DRAGON On FX DOWNLOAD!! New HANNIBAL, FIVE-0, GRIMM, BLOODS, LAST MAN, NEIGHBORS, ELISTED, HOPE, BANSHEE, TREEHOUSE, GOLD & SMACKDOWN!! Herc’s Friday TV Talkback!! -- 89 total posts 55 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 253 total posts 49 posts
- Fox Renews For Next Season THE MINDY PROJECT, THE FOLLOWING, BROOKLYN NINE-NINE And NEW GIRL!! -- 53 total posts 36 posts
- Quint eats up Jon Favreau's CHEF, opening night flick of SXSW 2014! -- 29 total posts 29 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Chats Up BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER / ED WOOD Icon (And Hollywood Royalty) Juliet Landau!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 25 total posts 25 posts
- Lena Dunham Hosts SNL!! Sagan COSMOS Marathon On NGC!! New UNIVERSE, OUTRAGEOUS ACTS OF SCIENCE & BLACK SAILS!! SWAMP PAWN, RAISING WHITLEY, SCORNED, COPS & CRAZY HEARTS Finales!! Hallmark’s A RING BY SPRING!! Lifetime’s A TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 24 total posts 24 posts
- Karen Gillan has Night Terrors in this First OCULUS Clip! -- 21 total posts 21 posts
- New Trailer for Jim Jarmusch's ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE! -- 19 total posts 19 posts