Auto-erotic asphyxiation, indeed! James McAvoy gets some FILTH on him in this red-band trailer!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
James McAvoy really lets his freak flag fly in the new movie from Jon S. Baird (GREEN STREET HOOLIGANS) based on a novel by Irvine Welsh (TRAINSPOTTING). And I'm not talking about the sort of cheekiness, woman chasing or obsession with the female anatomy we've seen from him in the past. I'm talking wanton drug use, trafficking, unjustified violence, child molestation, and, the old standby, auto-erotic asphyxiation. The kicker? He's a freakin' cozzer (policeman)!
The trailer is more focused on style and energy than it is on the story, which involves McAvoy's corrupt-as-hell cop crumbling under the weight of his own criminal habits and depravity, but man, it makes an impression. There's some raunchy stuff in this trailer, rivaling Welsh's TRAINSPOTTING in its unflinching attitude towards the nastiness on display. There would appear to be some cool parts for Jamie Bell, Jim Broadbent (seemingly channeling his BRAZIL character), Eddie Marsan, and Imogen Poots, but it's McAvoy's lead that seems to be having the most fun. After playing relatively straight arrows in films like LAST KING OF SCOTLAND, X-MEN: FIRST CLASS, and even TRANCE, it's cool to see him let loose and play someone so clearly defined by their amoral, evil ways. I like when the trailer goes full-surreal in the last minute, implying that the film will make a real effort to put us in this sicko's shoes, and not keep him at arm's length. Add to that a score by REQUIEM FOR A DREAM's Clint Mansell, and the ingredients for a British black comedy that sears itself into the memory are certainly there.
FILTH opens in the U.K. on September 27. No word on when it'll hit the U.S., probably via limited release and/or VOD; can't imagine a 3000 theater rollout for this one.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Sony Says Fuck It, Announces Release Dates For THE SINISTER SIX And THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3! -- 287 total posts 287 posts
- 4th Week of July 2014 PICKS & PEEKS: Werewolves, BLUE RUIN, Nordic Noir, ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE + more! -- 331 total posts 173 posts
- From The Wasteland Emerges A MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Teaser Poster! -- 160 total posts 160 posts
- Behold The Blazing New Poster For THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES!! -- 158 total posts 158 posts
- Could These International TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES Posters Win Over A Skeptical 7(ish) Year Old?? -- 138 total posts 138 posts
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay to bring you MANIMAL: THE MOVIE! -- 218 total posts 77 posts
- Idris Elba to play one of Guy Ritchie's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE! -- 397 total posts 71 posts
- Aye! The Next PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN Film Has An Official Release Date!! -- 70 total posts 70 posts
- Beginning of a flood of AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic Con Artwork?!?! -- 60 total posts 60 posts
- "I would never order an alcoholic beverage on the bridge..." Trailer for SPACE STATION 76 has its heart firmly in place and its tongue firmly in cheek! -- 107 total posts 58 posts