An Archie Movie is Heading Your Way...Possibly With Zombies???
Hey Guys! Horrorella here...
So this is interesting.
While comic properties are being optioned left, right and center, Warner Brothers has just closed a deal to make a live-action film based on the Archie series. Archie was created by John L. Goldwater in 1941, but a movie has never been made about the fun-loving Riverdale characters.
The script is being written by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, and Deadline reports that it could be based on his upcoming addition to the Archie publications - Afterlife with Archie. In this comic (due out later this year), Archie and his friends must survive a zombie epidemic that breaks out in Riverdale.
That's right. Archie vs. Zombies.
I'm tempted to roll my eyes a bit - I love zombies as much as anybody, but I kind of feel that their latest run is starting to overstay its welcome. They seem to be the easy go-to for mainstream horror, and I honestly wouldn't mind it if they went back to sleep for a few years until we can figure out how to make them fresh again. But at the same time, I had to admit that I'm a little intrigued. I do enjoy genre subversions and clever cross-overs, and if this concept works, it sounds like it could be entertaining. Maybe not AWESOME, but entertaining. Especially if they really go balls-out and make it a hard-R film. And if we're being honest, I would probably be more interested in seeing an Archie movie WITH zombies than an Archie movie WITHOUT zombies.
Aguirre-Sacasa is no stranger to comics (having written Fantastic Four stories in multiple Marvel publications, as well as the comic adaptation of Stephen King's The Stand), or screenwork (he penned several episodes of BIG LOVE, and GLEE, as well as Kimberly Pierce's upcoming CARRIE remake). The film is being directed by Jason Moore (PITCH PERFECT).
What do you guys think? Can this work?
Follow me on Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 159 total posts 134 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 122 total posts 78 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 180 total posts 37 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 556 total posts 33 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 176 total posts 19 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 104 total posts 14 posts
- ‘There Is Only One Hell!!’ Stannis, Davos, Melissandre, Varys, Bran, Hodor, Reek And The Bastard Of Bolton Return For Tonight’s Big Second GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 355 total posts 8 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 191 total posts 7 posts
- Check Out Thomas Haden Church in this Trailer for WHITEWASH! -- 63 total posts 7 posts
- In Many Ways We Need Each Other!! Graham & Lecter Reform Their Crimefighting Team On HANNIBAL!! New WHOSE, FIVE-0, BLOODS, UNFORGETTABLE, DIXIE, GUNS, LAST & SMACKDOWN!! Return Of THE WRITERS’ ROOM!! HANGER 1 Finale!! Shatner On CRAIG!! Herc’s Friday TV Talkback!! -- 26 total posts 6 posts