Warner Bros. gives up rights to FRIDAY THE 13TH and SOUTH PARK to get in the INTERSTELLAR business with Paramount!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
We have news that Warner Brothers wants so badly to get into the INTERSTELLAR game with Paramount that they gave back some pretty weighty properties in exchange for co-financing rights to Christopher Nolan's upcoming sci-fi flick. In exchange for their 50/50 deal on INTERSTELLAR, WB rescinded their rights to FRIDAY THE 13th (which they inherited from New Line, and actually pulled down some decent loot from on the last installment) and any SOUTH PARK feature film that Matt and Trey pull together. Also, Paramount will get to co-finance a high-profile, yet-to-be-determined Warner Brothers property. A key note in this deal: all those rights go back to Warner Bros. after five years, putting a fire under Paramount's ass to get those projects going if they don't want Yakko, Wakko, and Dot cutting in on their profits. This is good news for fans of Jason Voorhees, whose franchise, it's been said, has been on ice because of the long list of names that get residuals on every new film; one less cook in the kitchen might get another hearty helping of hockey-face out there sooner than later.
The decision kinda makes sense, given that the Nolan business has been a-boomin' for WB. Aside from the heinously successful DARK KNIGHT trilogy, they made some good money off of INCEPTION, INSOMNIA, the international grosses from THE PRESTIGE, and what looks to be at least a few hundred mil' from his producing gig on MAN OF STEEL. And I'm sure it seemed like a safe bet to get in on a go project that's a potential blockbuster at the cost of a couple movies that may, very well, never get made, or at least maybe not in the next five years. But losing those properties has gotta sting at least a little bit, especially if one of those franchises, both of which are made on the cheap and usually prove quite profitable, make a splash at the box office before the rights revert back to them.
We'll see how much dinero Warner Brothers pulls down from this deal when INTERSTELLAR opens on November 7th, 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 357 total posts 278 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 103 total posts 103 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 88 total posts 88 posts
- Today's STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Status Report: Casting "Almost Complete", Second Unit Shooting Underway! -- 340 total posts 84 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 328 total posts 80 posts
- IT'S A SMALL WORLD: THE MOVIE directed by Jon Turteltaub is a real thing Disney wants to make! -- 93 total posts 73 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 422 total posts 65 posts
- ‘So Who Wants To Go First??’ Amy Acker Is The Cellist In Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ELSEWHERE & ER On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! New AWKWARD, SWAP, BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, TOSH, GLEE, FIRE, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL, FARGO, FISHER & VOICE!! CONTAINER Finale!! Don Rickles On KIMMEL!! Natalie Dormer On SETH!! Stephen Colbert On LETTERMAN!! Elizabeth Warren On THE DAILY SHOW!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 191 total posts 63 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 55 total posts 55 posts
- Director Colin Trevorrow Talks The Bigger Picture Of JURASSIC WORLD!! -- 55 total posts 55 posts