Warner Bros. gives up rights to FRIDAY THE 13TH and SOUTH PARK to get in the INTERSTELLAR business with Paramount!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
We have news that Warner Brothers wants so badly to get into the INTERSTELLAR game with Paramount that they gave back some pretty weighty properties in exchange for co-financing rights to Christopher Nolan's upcoming sci-fi flick. In exchange for their 50/50 deal on INTERSTELLAR, WB rescinded their rights to FRIDAY THE 13th (which they inherited from New Line, and actually pulled down some decent loot from on the last installment) and any SOUTH PARK feature film that Matt and Trey pull together. Also, Paramount will get to co-finance a high-profile, yet-to-be-determined Warner Brothers property. A key note in this deal: all those rights go back to Warner Bros. after five years, putting a fire under Paramount's ass to get those projects going if they don't want Yakko, Wakko, and Dot cutting in on their profits. This is good news for fans of Jason Voorhees, whose franchise, it's been said, has been on ice because of the long list of names that get residuals on every new film; one less cook in the kitchen might get another hearty helping of hockey-face out there sooner than later.
The decision kinda makes sense, given that the Nolan business has been a-boomin' for WB. Aside from the heinously successful DARK KNIGHT trilogy, they made some good money off of INCEPTION, INSOMNIA, the international grosses from THE PRESTIGE, and what looks to be at least a few hundred mil' from his producing gig on MAN OF STEEL. And I'm sure it seemed like a safe bet to get in on a go project that's a potential blockbuster at the cost of a couple movies that may, very well, never get made, or at least maybe not in the next five years. But losing those properties has gotta sting at least a little bit, especially if one of those franchises, both of which are made on the cheap and usually prove quite profitable, make a splash at the box office before the rights revert back to them.
We'll see how much dinero Warner Brothers pulls down from this deal when INTERSTELLAR opens on November 7th, 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Chats Up BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER / ED WOOD Icon (And Hollywood Royalty) Juliet Landau!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 356 total posts 329 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 156 total posts 27 posts
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 25 total posts 25 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Fox Renews For Next Season THE MINDY PROJECT, THE FOLLOWING, BROOKLYN NINE-NINE And NEW GIRL!! -- 65 total posts 11 posts
- Quint eats up Jon Favreau's CHEF, opening night flick of SXSW 2014! -- 38 total posts 10 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 7 total posts 7 posts
- Learn What Happens Next On HBO’s GAME OF THRONES!! -- 142 total posts 5 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 257 total posts 4 posts
- Michael Fassbender makes experimental music from behind a giant papier-mache head in this trailer for FRANK! -- 57 total posts 4 posts