Warner Bros. gives up rights to FRIDAY THE 13TH and SOUTH PARK to get in the INTERSTELLAR business with Paramount!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
We have news that Warner Brothers wants so badly to get into the INTERSTELLAR game with Paramount that they gave back some pretty weighty properties in exchange for co-financing rights to Christopher Nolan's upcoming sci-fi flick. In exchange for their 50/50 deal on INTERSTELLAR, WB rescinded their rights to FRIDAY THE 13th (which they inherited from New Line, and actually pulled down some decent loot from on the last installment) and any SOUTH PARK feature film that Matt and Trey pull together. Also, Paramount will get to co-finance a high-profile, yet-to-be-determined Warner Brothers property. A key note in this deal: all those rights go back to Warner Bros. after five years, putting a fire under Paramount's ass to get those projects going if they don't want Yakko, Wakko, and Dot cutting in on their profits. This is good news for fans of Jason Voorhees, whose franchise, it's been said, has been on ice because of the long list of names that get residuals on every new film; one less cook in the kitchen might get another hearty helping of hockey-face out there sooner than later.
The decision kinda makes sense, given that the Nolan business has been a-boomin' for WB. Aside from the heinously successful DARK KNIGHT trilogy, they made some good money off of INCEPTION, INSOMNIA, the international grosses from THE PRESTIGE, and what looks to be at least a few hundred mil' from his producing gig on MAN OF STEEL. And I'm sure it seemed like a safe bet to get in on a go project that's a potential blockbuster at the cost of a couple movies that may, very well, never get made, or at least maybe not in the next five years. But losing those properties has gotta sting at least a little bit, especially if one of those franchises, both of which are made on the cheap and usually prove quite profitable, make a splash at the box office before the rights revert back to them.
We'll see how much dinero Warner Brothers pulls down from this deal when INTERSTELLAR opens on November 7th, 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 300 total posts 144 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 103 total posts 62 posts
- The Fellows Behind The Big-Screen JUMP STREET (And THE LEGO MOVIE And CLONE HIGH) Plan To Reboot Another Steven J. Cannell Series: THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO!! -- 53 total posts 16 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 101 total posts 15 posts
- Capone says AS ABOVE/SO BELOW uses a chilling location to terrifying effect!!! -- 39 total posts 13 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 11 total posts 11 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 276 total posts 6 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 287 total posts 5 posts
- Just How Conjoined Is Sarah Paulson In AHS FREAK SHOW?? See For Yourself!! -- 72 total posts 4 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 4 total posts 4 posts