This Week's SATURDAY SHORTS: A Comedy Goldmine of Greatness!
Hello ladies and gentlemen, Muldoon here with this week's dip into kickass shorts created and submitted by AICN readers. To celebrate the first day of June (because... why not?) let's get our funny on with a handful of comedic films. Some are dark, some are goofy, some might make you want to slap your mother in a hilarious giggle fit of uncontrollable laugher's rage (please don't), but one thing they all have in common is: they're quailty films that might make you chuckle and I think you should give them a shot. So whether you're about to head out, maybe hit the pool/park/arcade/outdoor strip club, be sure to check out the films below. I implore you to full screen each one, bump up to whatever the highest quality setting is (so no 240p here, c'mon) and crank up the volume to a reasonable level, then jut sit back and enjoy the show. (As always, feel free to share your thoughts in the TalkBack below - you never know when the filmmakers are in the audience).
Go grab yourself some popcorn, lock your kids in a closet, kill the lights, relax and check out this little weekly film fest we've got ourselves here:
Up first is a damn fun flick that'll surely get you in a fun mood. Like a super small sundae surprise, this thing is short, sweet, and gone before you know it (Contest: Create a punnier metaphor. Write in the TalkBacks). In all seriousness, we have before us three solid minutes of funny from Nicholas Santos, a tale of "murder, mystery, and ice cream."
From Josh Penn Boris of the UBC group Sneak Thief, we have a short that's right up my alley: a mashup between JURASSIC PARK and THE ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU. Bam!
THE SPELL BOOK
Up next we have a damn fun film from Robert James Haynes, which combines another two things I love: Demonic Ghosts and teddy bears. The three leads in this thing all seem to pop - great comedic timing and a bizarre situation to play off of. If you like what you see, tweet at the filmmaker (@robertjhaynes).
Gear shift time. Directors James Chappell & Patrick Irving have created something I don't quite know how to describe at all. It's bizarre as hell, slightly creepy (slightly), and I'm not even sure I understand it/want to. It's fun. It's weird as hell. I'm still... so confused. Be sure to hit up their site if you dig what you see!
We've all been there, on a date with a lovely hot thing without any clue what to say, so we have our pals standby, monitor the date, and transmit a feed of suggestions for every possible decision we make. Oh college... Director Eddie Lebron kicks butt in this up modern Cyrano De Bergerac funfest.
Boosh! That's all, folks. I hope you had at least half as much fun as I did with this week's selection. I'll see you all next week with another supply of shorts! But hey, feel free to hit up previous SATURDAY SHORTS:
If you have a short and think it belongs here or are on the fence about whether to send it in, please do send it in - I'd love to see what you've put together. I've already seen hundreds of fresh new filmmakers' shorts and like any good addict, I need more!
Shoot me an email at "Mike@aintitcool.com"
In the subject line include:
“SHORTS” + “Your film’s name” + “The film’s genre”
Then, in the body of the email, please include a synopsis of the film and any contact information you might think I need or would want published. The more info you send my way, the more info there is to put with your short.
Please don’t feel the need to submit multiple times.
Remember, the filmmakers might still be in the audience, so feel free to share your thoughts in Talkbacks below. (JUST DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE). I picked them, so you know I think highly of all of these, but how about you fine folks? How'd you like 'em?
- Mike McCutchen
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 313 total posts 234 posts
- Today's STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Status Report: Casting "Almost Complete", Second Unit Shooting Underway! -- 333 total posts 77 posts
- IT'S A SMALL WORLD: THE MOVIE directed by Jon Turteltaub is a real thing Disney wants to make! -- 86 total posts 66 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 311 total posts 63 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 416 total posts 59 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 48 total posts 48 posts
- ‘So Who Wants To Go First??’ Amy Acker Is The Cellist In Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ELSEWHERE & ER On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! New AWKWARD, SWAP, BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, TOSH, GLEE, FIRE, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL, FARGO, FISHER & VOICE!! CONTAINER Finale!! Don Rickles On KIMMEL!! Natalie Dormer On SETH!! Stephen Colbert On LETTERMAN!! Elizabeth Warren On THE DAILY SHOW!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 168 total posts 40 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 39 total posts 39 posts
Learn What’s Ahead
For GAME OF THRONES!! -- 60 total posts 38 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 28 total posts 28 posts