Chris Columbus in talks to direct Happy Madison's adaptation of internet short, PIXELS!!
Howdy do, everyone, it's Papa Vinyard here.
We've known for over a year that Adam Sandler's Happy Madison Productions was going to be doing an adaptation of Patrick Jean's classic video game-loving short, PIXELS. Yesterday, The Hollywood Reporter put up the news that Chris Columbus, who last directed the first PERCY JACKSON AND THE OLYMPIANS movie, is in talks to helm the prospectively family-friendly action-comedy. While it's easy to hate on him for his less-than-respected efforts, such as JACKSON, STEPMOM, BICENTENNIAL MAN, RENT, I LOVE YOU, BETH COOPER, and even the first two (maybe weakest) HARRY POTTERs, he still is the guy who directed both HOME ALONEs and MRS. DOUBTFIRE (meaning he can rake in the big bucks), as well as ONLY THE LONELY (which means he has a legit soft spot) and ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING (which means he's probably a totally awesome guy). Plus, he'll always be the dude who wrote GREMLINS and THE GOONIES, so theoretically, this flick could be a fun, uncondescending kids flick that actually has some serious stakes as well as some iconic, classic video game-inspired visuals.
While Sandler is producing (alongside original short director Patrick Jean), and his buddy and oft-collaborator Tim Herlihy is co-writing the script, there hasn't been word, as of yet, as to whether he'll actually star in the movie himself. Seeing as they're snagging Columbus and will probably need a megastar that's in with the kiddies to lock down a sizable enough budget to do this thing justice, I'd say it's a serious possibility. Personally, I'm more concerned with the heavy presence of licensed characters that are featured in the short, and how that'll translate into the final film. While WRECK-IT RALPH had a ton of characters from old-school games, none of them really took center stage, and it's hard to believe that Namco, Nintendo, and the other companies who own these properties will allow them to be central plot elements without some sort of cut-in deal. But I didn't even think the cross-franchise stuff in WRECK-IT RALPH would ever happen, so we'll see what geek-fantasy imagery the powers-that-be can arrange.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Filed under "you're damn right it's 2014," Kevin Smith to direct Johnny Depp in YOGA HOSERS!! -- 244 total posts 54 posts
- Trailer for New Stephen King Thriller, A GOOD MARRIAGE! -- 36 total posts 28 posts
- Here’s Our First Official Image From The ANT-MAN Movie!! -- 290 total posts 18 posts
- August Picks & Peeks 2014 Catch Up: DePalma, Jarmusch, Corman, Cuaron, Arau, Cosmotos, Brass, Huston + more! -- 16 total posts 16 posts
- SHERLOCK’s Benedict Cumberbatch To Play Another Khan In Warner Bros’ JUNGLE BOOK Movie!! -- 102 total posts 13 posts
- The OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN sequel, LONDON HAS FALLEN gets a director and rumored synopsis! -- 178 total posts 10 posts
- Check Out the International Poster for HORNS! -- 35 total posts 9 posts
- Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg to Re-Team on New Film! -- 92 total posts 9 posts
- Drew McWeeny Drops By For The Latest Episode Of "Fire Talk With Me"! Blu-ray Contest Winner Announced! -- 25 total posts 8 posts
- A Tuesday MiniDocback Brings DOCTOR WHO S8 Promo Images, Moffat's MicroSynopses For S8 Eps, A Look At The New York & Mexican Premieres Of ‘Deep Breath’, And More!! -- 21 total posts 8 posts