Sir Ridley Scott hires GREEN LANTERN writer Michael Green to rewrite BLADE RUNNER follow-up!!
Howdy do, everyone, it's Papa Vinyard here.
Sir Ridley Scott seems to be pushing forward with the sequel/follow-up to his '82 classic, BLADE RUNNER, despite a somewhat common belief that the original is sacred ground that probably shouldn't be touched, akin to that Ark in that movie that one time. Last year, he commissioned original writer Hampton Fancher (also responsible for lesser known flicks THE MIGHTY QUINN and THE MINUS MAN) to pen a draft for the sequel that, apparently, might not revolve around Harrison Ford's "is he? isn't he?" Deckard, and takes place "some years after the first film concluded." Today, The Wrap reports he's tapped screenwriter Michael Green to rewrite Fancher's blueprint.
Green has worked on a lot of TV over the years, including Heroes (some early eps), Smallville, and the original Cupid (yay!), as well as Sex and the City, Everwood, and the ill-fated shows Kings and The River (awww). His only feature credit is on that oft-heralded modern classic, GREEN LANTERN, but I don't think that should be held against him. There were a bunch of cooks in that kitchen, including three other credited screenwriters, so it's hard to attribute the entire hot mess of that production to him. For all we know, he may be the only one responsible for sending Jordan to Oa at all, giving the film its one 10-minute chunk of solid sci-fi comic book movie fun. Plus, he's got the gig writing the upcoming adaptation of THE FLASH, which probably wouldn't have happened if he was coming up the with the more embarassing elements of LANTERN.
What we do know is that he has experience with geeky properties, and knows firsthand the kind of backlash a lazy, hacky end product can create. Also, Sir Ridley seems to trust his vision, and he's been known to know a thing or two about a thing or two. He still has Cormac McCarthy's THE COUNSELOR on his plate; I'd imagine that after that comes out this fall, we'll get more word on the progress of this film and, most crucially, if it is, indeed, actually going to happen.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Herc Is Underwhelmed By Cuaron’s Bad Robot Pilot BELIEVE!! -- 47 total posts 25 posts
- A New Poster Of Angelina Jolie As MALEFICENT!! -- 144 total posts 24 posts
- ‘You Are Of SHIELD??’ THOR’s Hot Pal Sif Joins AGENTS!! The Premiere Of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN!! Plus New NEW GIRL, BOY, BROOKLYN, BACHELOR, BAD GIRLS, MIND GAMES, TROPHY, TOSH, ORIGINALS, GOLDBERGS, GLEE, RIZZOLI, PERCEPTION, KROLL, LIARS, COUGAR, FISHER, FIRE, CONTAINER, TEEN MOM, CAPONES & VOICE!! KING Finale!! Syfy’s MY BIG FAT GEEK WEDDING!! Lauren Cohan & Jeff Goldblum on CRAIG!! Rachel Maddow On SETH!! Ronald D. Moore On LAST CALL!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 20 total posts 20 posts
- Jon Favreau Still Contemplating A Trip To The MAGIC KINGDOM! -- 41 total posts 15 posts
- ‘That Place Can Be Exhausting!!’ Herc Endorses Tonight’s JUSTIFIED 5.9!! -- 13 total posts 13 posts
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 332 total posts 13 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 305 total posts 11 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 96 total posts 9 posts
- Atom Egoyan's West Memphis Three Drama DEVIL'S KNOT Gets A Suitably Dramatic Trailer! -- 21 total posts 7 posts
-- 34 total posts 7 posts