Sir Ridley Scott hires GREEN LANTERN writer Michael Green to rewrite BLADE RUNNER follow-up!!
Howdy do, everyone, it's Papa Vinyard here.
Sir Ridley Scott seems to be pushing forward with the sequel/follow-up to his '82 classic, BLADE RUNNER, despite a somewhat common belief that the original is sacred ground that probably shouldn't be touched, akin to that Ark in that movie that one time. Last year, he commissioned original writer Hampton Fancher (also responsible for lesser known flicks THE MIGHTY QUINN and THE MINUS MAN) to pen a draft for the sequel that, apparently, might not revolve around Harrison Ford's "is he? isn't he?" Deckard, and takes place "some years after the first film concluded." Today, The Wrap reports he's tapped screenwriter Michael Green to rewrite Fancher's blueprint.
Green has worked on a lot of TV over the years, including Heroes (some early eps), Smallville, and the original Cupid (yay!), as well as Sex and the City, Everwood, and the ill-fated shows Kings and The River (awww). His only feature credit is on that oft-heralded modern classic, GREEN LANTERN, but I don't think that should be held against him. There were a bunch of cooks in that kitchen, including three other credited screenwriters, so it's hard to attribute the entire hot mess of that production to him. For all we know, he may be the only one responsible for sending Jordan to Oa at all, giving the film its one 10-minute chunk of solid sci-fi comic book movie fun. Plus, he's got the gig writing the upcoming adaptation of THE FLASH, which probably wouldn't have happened if he was coming up the with the more embarassing elements of LANTERN.
What we do know is that he has experience with geeky properties, and knows firsthand the kind of backlash a lazy, hacky end product can create. Also, Sir Ridley seems to trust his vision, and he's been known to know a thing or two about a thing or two. He still has Cormac McCarthy's THE COUNSELOR on his plate; I'd imagine that after that comes out this fall, we'll get more word on the progress of this film and, most crucially, if it is, indeed, actually going to happen.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- A biker gang, Gipsy Danger, and now Charlie Hunnam will command the KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND RABLE as King Arthur! -- 138 total posts 86 posts
- Martin Scorsese May Make A Film About One Of America's Greatest Bands! Gabba Gabba Hey! -- 164 total posts 57 posts
- The first SAW returns to theaters this Halloween! -- 73 total posts 21 posts
- Warner Bros. is moving quickly on getting the Looney Tunes characters and ACME back on the big screen! -- 74 total posts 21 posts
- Two Clips From DOCTOR WHO S08E02: ‘Into the Dalek’!! -- 40 total posts 18 posts
- Superman & Lois Lane get wet together!!! BATMAN VS SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE!!! -- 354 total posts 18 posts
- Character posters for Liam Hemsworth, Natalie Dormer, and more of the resistance from HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY! -- 66 total posts 13 posts
- Capone examines how THE NOVEMBER MAN takes the weakest James Bond and makes him a killer spy!!! -- 249 total posts 12 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 280 total posts 12 posts
- Our first look at the main character from Pixar's INSIDE OUT! -- 65 total posts 12 posts