Johnny Depp Skips Out On Barry Levinson's Whitey Bulger Biopic!
Fuck you, pay me.
This is basically what you'll hear if you've the termerity to ask Johnny Depp to cut his standard $20 million quote nowadays. The Bargain Johnny days are over. He owns a fucking island. You want the Depp? Cut that check.
Barry Levinson's the latest filmmaker to learn the steep cost of doing business with one of the world's biggest movie stars. A while back, he got the actor attached to play infamous Boston mobster Whitey Bulger in a biopic titled BLACK MASS. With Depp onboard, he was able to attract Joel Edgerton to co-star as a disgraced FBI agent. But the Depp/Edgerton pairing (and perhaps the subject matter) proved underwhelming to potential buyers at this year's Cannes Film Festival, so the producers were forced to scale back the $60 million budget. Being that one-third of the budget was dedicated to Depp's salary, reducing costs meant asking Depp to take a 50% pay cut. Now Levinson needs a new Whitey Bulger.
If sales were soft at Cannes with Depp attached, I can't imagine this film getting made short of Leonardo DiCaprio or Brad Pitt coming on board. It's too bad. This is story well worth telling.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flag in THE STAND?!! -- 187 total posts 59 posts
- Take A ‘Deep Breath’ - The DOCTOR WHO S8 Weekend Docbacks Begin Now!! -- 133 total posts 24 posts
- ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Season Premiere Of DOCTOR WHO And Asks: Why Is It So Terrible?? -- 182 total posts 17 posts
- Get A Grip On Denzel Washington’s EQUALIZER!! -- 118 total posts 8 posts
- Quint sits down with Frank Miller to talk a little about Sin City: A Dame To Kill For! -- 165 total posts 6 posts
- Creepy Dolls and Satanic Cults! Full ANNABELLE Trailer is Here! -- 103 total posts 6 posts
- An Andrew Dominik-written, Justin Lin-directed SHAOLIN TEMPLE remake is in the works! -- 27 total posts 4 posts
- August Picks & Peeks 2014 Catch Up: DePalma, Jarmusch, Corman, Cuaron, Arau, Cosmotos, Brass, Huston + more! -- 390 total posts 4 posts
- Jeremy Receives His Marching Orders From Combat Carl Weathers For TOY STORY OF TERROR! -- 26 total posts 2 posts
- AICN Tabletop: Abstruse Reports On GenCon 2014! -- 14 total posts 2 posts