Johnny Depp Skips Out On Barry Levinson's Whitey Bulger Biopic!
Fuck you, pay me.
This is basically what you'll hear if you've the termerity to ask Johnny Depp to cut his standard $20 million quote nowadays. The Bargain Johnny days are over. He owns a fucking island. You want the Depp? Cut that check.
Barry Levinson's the latest filmmaker to learn the steep cost of doing business with one of the world's biggest movie stars. A while back, he got the actor attached to play infamous Boston mobster Whitey Bulger in a biopic titled BLACK MASS. With Depp onboard, he was able to attract Joel Edgerton to co-star as a disgraced FBI agent. But the Depp/Edgerton pairing (and perhaps the subject matter) proved underwhelming to potential buyers at this year's Cannes Film Festival, so the producers were forced to scale back the $60 million budget. Being that one-third of the budget was dedicated to Depp's salary, reducing costs meant asking Depp to take a 50% pay cut. Now Levinson needs a new Whitey Bulger.
If sales were soft at Cannes with Depp attached, I can't imagine this film getting made short of Leonardo DiCaprio or Brad Pitt coming on board. It's too bad. This is story well worth telling.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- War Machine to join Iron Man and friends in THE AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON!?! -- 10 total posts 10 posts
- Sony has hired a writer for BAD BOYS 3, plus updates on the MEN IN BLACK and GHOSTBUSTERS franchises!! -- 309 total posts 5 posts
- Peter Jackson Says Hobbitses Stalled His TINTIN Sequel - But... -- 113 total posts 3 posts
- WORLD WAR Z 2 is a go and Paramount has found a director to helm the sequel. -- 186 total posts 2 posts
- BBCA Brings Forth New Images From 'The Time of the Doctor' - Matt Smith's Final Episode Of DOCTOR WHO!! -- 127 total posts 2 posts
- A Poster For The Badass Looking GODZILLA!! -- 182 total posts 2 posts
- Here's A Motion Comic Set Up For I, FRANKENSTEIN!! -- 93 total posts 1 post
- THE KNIGHTS OF BADASSDOM gets a release date! But which version will we see? -- 21 total posts 1 post
- First Trailer for EDGE OF TOMORROW, Starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt! -- 395 total posts 1 post