Sam Mendes In Talks To Direct BOND 24!
This morning, someone leaked a rather eclectic list of potential directors for the twenty-fourth James Bond movie. Folks like Nicolas Winding Refn, Ang Lee, Shane Black and David Yates were evidently in the running. While I wouldn't be surprised if producers Michael Wilson and Barbara Broccoli reached out to all of these filmmakers (because I've been hearing rumors for months about other directors not mentioned here), it looks like they knew who they wanted all along. It was just a question of whether they'd wait for his schedule to clear up.
According to Deadline, Wilson and Broccoli will indeed wait for Sam Mendes to fulfill his theatrical obligations (a musical version of CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY and a production of KING LEAR) so that he can direct the as-yet-untitled follow-up to SKYFALL - which, not for nothing, is the top grossing Bond film of all time. Now that the franchise has basically been reset (with M, Q and Moneypenny in place), I've no problem with Mendes having another go. While it's fun to consider what a guy like Refn would do with a Bond movie, it's important to remember that the producers will want him to paint within the lines, something that might not be much fun for him.
So it's not the splashiest announcement, but I dug SKYFALL. What do you guys think?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 102 total posts 25 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 19 total posts 19 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 507 total posts 10 posts
- This Week's Saturday Shorts: Parkour, Compliments, and Getting Pooped on! -- 13 total posts 7 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 263 total posts 7 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 219 total posts 5 posts
- Papa Vinyard Saw THE HATEFUL EIGHT Script Reading Last Night And Here's His Review! -- 26 total posts 3 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 21 total posts 3 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 332 total posts 3 posts
- AICN HORROR looks at PROXY! THE LASHMAN! 13 SINS! CAMP DREAD! ROULETTE! POSEIDON REX! CONFINE! DEATH DO US PART! PSYCHOPHONY: AN EXPERIMENT IN EVIL! MONSTERS TV Series! HOWLS! & WOLF CREEK 2! -- 10 total posts 2 posts