BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR takes Palm D'OR at Cannes!
Hey folks, Harry here... Seems that Steven Spielberg's helmed jury has come down in favor of a story of a young lady coming of age and discovering and exploring her sexual urges, which lead her to exploring that with an older woman. This modern French drama features explicit sex between the two leading ladies, both of whom were acknowledged by Spielberg's jury for their remarkable work in BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR, which took the Palm D'or! Adèle Exarchopoulos and Léa Seydoux are the two actresses that the jury underlined along with the film's director, Abdellatif Kechiche. You really should check out Kechiche's BLACK VENUS and SECRET OF THE GRAIN, both of which are also quite remarkable. Here's a pair of scenes from this new historic film:
Winning the Grand Prix was the Coen Brothers' upcoming INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS, a film that was leading the buzz at Cannes until BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR debuted. Having served on a few juries in my time, the top winner is sometimes not just an expression of quality, but what the jury came together to put their voice behind. INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS has distribution - and getting the Grand Prix will ensure it's international attention, but giving the Palm D'Or to BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR is going to be the exact tonic that a film featuring explicit sex between women, the boost it will need to do well in the Arthouse scene, but also this should grab the attention of the Gay Community which hopefully will come out in support of the film domestically.
Best Actress went to Bérénice Bejo for her work in Iranian Director, Asghar Farhadi's LE PASSE'. The film is about a French Woman, whose Iranian husband leaves her and their two children behind, so he can return to IRAN. Bérénice attempts to start a new relationship and get a divorce, but well... see the movie.
Bruce Dern pulled in the Best Actor award for his work in Alexander Payne's NEBRASKA, which has Payne revisiting the Road trip motif, to a different plot and story. I just love hearing that Bruce Dern picked up a Best Actor award at Cannes, that's outstanding!
Spielberg's Jury decided to give the Best Director award to Amat Escalante, the Mexican director of the violent HELI - This was a particular shock to the director who was absolutely not expecting this. However, setting a man's groin on fire can get you noticed. Giggle. Can't wait to see this film!
JURY PRIZE was awarded to Japanese director Hirokazu Kore-eda's LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON
Best Screenplay went to Jia Zhang-ke for A TOUCH OF SIN
And the Un Certain Regard award went to L’Image Manquante, a film from Cambodian director, Rithy Panh!
Great eclectic mix!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Cyborg is confirmed to appear in BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN, and we know who's going to play him! -- 245 total posts 8 posts
- UPDATED (17:15) with image of the cast in character! Meet Jon M. Chu's JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS!! -- 94 total posts 2 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 455 total posts 2 posts
- The Trailer For JESSABELLE! -- 24 total posts 2 posts
- Here's A Trailer For AS ABOVE SO BELOW!! Freaky Madness In The Catacombs Of Paris!! -- 29 total posts 1 post
- Clark Gregg navigates the world of Hollywood child actors with Sam Rockwell, Allison Janney, and William H. Macy in this TRUST ME trailer! -- 22 total posts 1 post
- SWEEPS DAY ONE!! Tammy 2 On The PARKS AND RECREATION Finale!! The Premieres Of BAD TEACHER And BLACK BOX!! New PORTLANDIA, ELEMENTARY, VIKINGS, BANG, HALF, MILLERS, CRAZY, KITCHEN, IDOL, JACK, GREY’S, VAMPIRE, REIGN, ANGER!! Sarah Hyland On LETTERMAN!! Gary Gulman On SETH!! SNL Digital Shorts!! Herc's Thursday TV Talkback!! -- 9 total posts 1 post
- THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN Is Now Called... -- 217 total posts 1 post
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 79 total posts 1 post
- Behold The Greatness Of IMAX's GODZILLA Poster!! -- 132 total posts 1 post