Tom Cruise Won’t Go Solo For MAN FROM UNCLE!!
Tom Cruise, who made Paramount a mint by bringing TV’s espionage series “Mission: Impossible” to the big screen, won’t be doing the same for Warner Bros. after all.
According to Deadline, Cruise has decided not to play Napoleon Solo in Warner’s big-screen version of “The Man From UNCLE,” apparently so he can focus on Bad Robot’s third “Impossible” movie (the fifth in the franchise).
Armie Hammer (“The Social Network,” “The Lone Ranger”) is still expected to star as Solo’s Russian sidekick Illya Kuryakin.
“Sherlock Holmes” helmer Guy Ritchie remains attached to direct. Ritchie’s other credits include “Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels,” “Snatch,” “Swept Away,” “Revolver” and “RocknRolla.”
But who will fill Cruise’s shoes? Vince Vaughn? Channing Tatum? Ryan Reynolds? Should Ritchie reach out to Robert Downey Jr. or Jude Law? Should Johnny Depp reteam with Hammer?
Years ago the UNCLE project came very close to being made with George Clooney starring for Steven Soderbergh, before Clooney's bout with back and neck therapy made it difficult for him to undertake an action role.
The 1964-68 “UNCLE” TV show began life as “Ian Fleming’s Solo,” the brainchild of the 007 novelist who was at the time riding the huge crest of James Bond’s popularity following the release of “Dr. No” in 1962.
Find all of Deadline’s exclusive on the matter here.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First Trailer for EDGE OF TOMORROW, Starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt! -- 394 total posts 138 posts
- BBCA Brings Forth New Images From 'The Time of the Doctor' - Matt Smith's Final Episode Of DOCTOR WHO!! -- 122 total posts 122 posts
- Peter Jackson Says Hobbitses Stalled His TINTIN Sequel - But... -- 103 total posts 103 posts
- First Images from Wally Pfister's TRANSCENDENCE! -- 88 total posts 88 posts
- Here's A Motion Comic Set Up For I, FRANKENSTEIN!! -- 76 total posts 76 posts
- Is Jason Clarke Our New John Connor? -- 265 total posts 72 posts
- Butters-centric SOUTH PARK Season Finale!! Final Wednesday SURVIVOR!! The Final CSI, MINDS, ARROW & TOMORROW PEOPLE Of 2013!! New MOB, MODERN, MIDDLE, NASHVILLE, SING OFF, BURNING LOVE, GIRL CODE, AHS, X, SOUP, PICKERS!! Whitford On KIMMEL!! Cumberbatch & Takei On CONAN!! Herc’s Wednesday TV Talkback!! -- 88 total posts 58 posts
- Samuel L. Jackson in Talks for David Yates' TARZAN! -- 149 total posts 54 posts
- I'd watch Simon Pegg and Monty Python in ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING! -- 98 total posts 52 posts
- THE PURGE 2 to be headed up by Frank Grillo! -- 70 total posts 42 posts