Tom Cruise Won’t Go Solo For MAN FROM UNCLE!!
Tom Cruise, who made Paramount a mint by bringing TV’s espionage series “Mission: Impossible” to the big screen, won’t be doing the same for Warner Bros. after all.
According to Deadline, Cruise has decided not to play Napoleon Solo in Warner’s big-screen version of “The Man From UNCLE,” apparently so he can focus on Bad Robot’s third “Impossible” movie (the fifth in the franchise).
Armie Hammer (“The Social Network,” “The Lone Ranger”) is still expected to star as Solo’s Russian sidekick Illya Kuryakin.
“Sherlock Holmes” helmer Guy Ritchie remains attached to direct. Ritchie’s other credits include “Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels,” “Snatch,” “Swept Away,” “Revolver” and “RocknRolla.”
But who will fill Cruise’s shoes? Vince Vaughn? Channing Tatum? Ryan Reynolds? Should Ritchie reach out to Robert Downey Jr. or Jude Law? Should Johnny Depp reteam with Hammer?
Years ago the UNCLE project came very close to being made with George Clooney starring for Steven Soderbergh, before Clooney's bout with back and neck therapy made it difficult for him to undertake an action role.
The 1964-68 “UNCLE” TV show began life as “Ian Fleming’s Solo,” the brainchild of the 007 novelist who was at the time riding the huge crest of James Bond’s popularity following the release of “Dr. No” in 1962.
Find all of Deadline’s exclusive on the matter here.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 124 total posts 124 posts
- Learn What Happens Next On HBO’s GAME OF THRONES!! -- 130 total posts 54 posts
- All 13 Season-Six Episodes Of CLONE WARS Land On Netflix!! Joan Jett On LETTERMAN!! Kenan Thompson On MEYERS!! TRAIN YOUR DRAGON On FX DOWNLOAD!! New HANNIBAL, FIVE-0, GRIMM, BLOODS, LAST MAN, NEIGHBORS, ELISTED, HOPE, BANSHEE, TREEHOUSE, GOLD & SMACKDOWN!! Herc’s Friday TV Talkback!! -- 86 total posts 52 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 253 total posts 49 posts
- Fox Renews For Next Season THE MINDY PROJECT, THE FOLLOWING, BROOKLYN NINE-NINE And NEW GIRL!! -- 52 total posts 35 posts
- Quint eats up Jon Favreau's CHEF, opening night flick of SXSW 2014! -- 27 total posts 27 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Chats Up BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER / ED WOOD Icon (And Hollywood Royalty) Juliet Landau!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 25 total posts 25 posts
- Lena Dunham Hosts SNL!! Sagan COSMOS Marathon On NGC!! New UNIVERSE, OUTRAGEOUS ACTS OF SCIENCE & BLACK SAILS!! SWAMP PAWN, RAISING WHITLEY, SCORNED, COPS & CRAZY HEARTS Finales!! Hallmark’s A RING BY SPRING!! Lifetime’s A TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 23 total posts 23 posts
- Karen Gillan has Night Terrors in this First OCULUS Clip! -- 20 total posts 20 posts
- New Trailer for Jim Jarmusch's ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE! -- 19 total posts 19 posts