Jon Stewart casts Gael Garcia Bernal for his directorial debut, ROSEWATER!!
Howdy do, everyone, it's Papa Vinyard here.
Jon Stewart has recently made it plainly clear that he's taking a four-month hiatus this summer from his main gig as the host of "The Daily Show" to write and direct his first movie, entitled ROSEWATER, and it looks like he's found his lead in Mexican-born actor, Gael Garcia Bernal (Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN, THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES, BABEL). He will be playing Iranian journalist Maziar Bahari, who spent 118 days in a Tehran prison on dubious counts of espionage.
While I find it pretty cool that Stewart, who is Jewish, is doing a film with a Persian protagonist while tensions between Israel and Iran seem to be steadily increasing, it's a little distressing that the only suitable actor he could find was Hispanic. Plus, while it's based on a true story, I can't imagine a film with this premise doing any favors for Iran's PR, which was definitely winged last year with the release of ARGO, where Affleck pretty much depicted Iran citizens as furiously aggressive nationalists.
So yeah, I don't think this'll be MUNICH or anything, but I am excited to see the consistently funny and intelligent Stewart behind the camera. It's certainly an interesting and provocative story, and Stewart doesn't seem like the kinda guy to sensationalize things too much, so I'm definitely curious to see how this comes together.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 102 total posts 25 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 19 total posts 19 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 507 total posts 10 posts
- This Week's Saturday Shorts: Parkour, Compliments, and Getting Pooped on! -- 13 total posts 7 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 263 total posts 7 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 219 total posts 5 posts
- Papa Vinyard Saw THE HATEFUL EIGHT Script Reading Last Night And Here's His Review! -- 26 total posts 3 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 21 total posts 3 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 332 total posts 3 posts
- AICN HORROR looks at PROXY! THE LASHMAN! 13 SINS! CAMP DREAD! ROULETTE! POSEIDON REX! CONFINE! DEATH DO US PART! PSYCHOPHONY: AN EXPERIMENT IN EVIL! MONSTERS TV Series! HOWLS! & WOLF CREEK 2! -- 10 total posts 2 posts