Sean Penn In Talks To Join Increasingly Awesome Cast Of Paul Thomas Anderson's INHERENT VICE!
Is it possible Paul Thomas Anderson's INHERENT VICE is getting too star-studded?
According to Cigarettes & Red Vines, Sean Penn is the latest A-lister to join the cast of Anderson's adaptation of Thomas Pynchon's stoner detective yarn. Already on board: Joaquin Phoenix, Benicio Del Toro, Reese Witherspoon, Owen Wilson, Martin Short, Jena Malone and Kevin O'Connor. There are apparently many more roles to be filled. Perhaps Anderson can find something for L.Q. Jones to do!
With most directors, I'd be worried that this is beginning to resemble the all-star fiascos of the '60s (e.g. CASINO ROYALE '67, and CANDY), but Anderson kinda happens to be one of the best filmmakers on the planet, so bring on the celebrities, I say! INHERENT VICE is expected to begin shooting this month.
Update: I just got a heads up from Cigarettes & Red Vines that CANDY may very well be an inspiration for INHERENT VICE. Here's an excerpt from a 2012 interview with costume designer Mark Bridges (who's worked on every PTA movie thus far):
Q: You guys have already done 3 different period pieces together so I'm really curious how you’re planning to interpret the late 60s...
A: We really haven’t had any meetings yet, I want to sit down with him. I think it’s an unusual piece. I think it’ll still be Paul Thomas Anderson and probably try to feel very real but I don’t think we’ve really settled on what this movie’s going to be yet. I really don’t. So it could go a couple of different ways at this point. But it’s funny, I’ve been researching and looking at a lot of films at the end of the 60s. There’s a film called “Candy” [a 1968 satire starring Marlon Brando, Richard Burton, Walter Matthau, John Huston, James Coburn, Ringo Starr and Charles Aznavour] -- as well as other films that I’ve been looking at -- that are satires but they’re broad and they have very iconic people in them. So I’m playing with that idea in my mind, whether that’s something that Paul’s going to want to latch onto, [I’m not sure].
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 263 total posts 127 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 255 total posts 40 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 99 total posts 21 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 54 total posts 16 posts
- 'We Mustn’t Disappoint Father!!' Check Out The Size Of Dany’s Dragons In The Latest Trailer For GAME OF THRONES Season Four!! -- 13 total posts 13 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 310 total posts 9 posts
- Lena Dunham Hosts SNL!! Sagan COSMOS Marathon On NGC!! New UNIVERSE, OUTRAGEOUS ACTS OF SCIENCE & BLACK SAILS!! SWAMP PAWN, RAISING WHITLEY, SCORNED, COPS & CRAZY HEARTS Finales!! Hallmark’s A RING BY SPRING!! Lifetime’s A TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 40 total posts 9 posts
- Spring Forward With Lauren Cohen & Sonequa Martin-Green On TALKING DEAD!! Data Brokers On 60 MINUTES!! The Premieres Of Fox’s COSMOS, Lohan’s LINDSAY & Carolla’s CATCH A CONTRATOR!! The Returns Of BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, ONCE & REVENGE!! New GIRLS, ISLAND, AMAZING, SHAMELESS, FIANCE, WIVES, AX!! KARDASHIANS & LOOKING Finales!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 10 total posts 7 posts
- Papa Vinyard's Oscar Sunday: MANHATTAN MELODRAMA (1934) -- 7 total posts 7 posts
- Harry's PICKS & PEEKS for March 4th, 2014 includes: AGONY & THE ECSTASY, HUNGER GAMES 2, SOMEWHERE IN TIME... -- 200 total posts 7 posts