Brad Bird On THE INCREDIBLES 2: "I Have Been Thinking About It"! Also Reveals He Turned Down STAR WARS: EPISODE VII!
There's no question that there's a great series of films to be made out of THE INCREDIBLES, and it's a testament to Brad Bird's fierce commitment to high-quality entertainment that Pixar and Disney haven't coaxed at least one sequel out of him. Bird could cash in here. Big time. But if you've read any interviews with the man, you know he's incredibly particular and an extremely harsh critic of his own work. He's not going to diminish the greatness of THE INCREDIBLES by forcing out a sequel just because the market demands it.
But Bird is quite aware of the demand for THE INCREDIBLES 2, and he's in complete agreement with its fans when it comes to the untapped potential of that universe. In a recent interview with The Hollywood Reporter, he opened up about the possibility of a sequel to his 2004 classic (via Slashfilm):
I have been thinking about it. People think that I have not been, but I have. Because I love those characters and love that world. I am stroking my chin and scratching my head. I have many, many elements that I think would work really well in another [INCREDIBLES] film, and if I can get ‘em to click all together, I would probably wanna do that. I like the idea of moving a little more quickly in films. I’m looking for ways to accelerate the pace a little bit and figure out a way to keep creative control over these movies to a level where I’m comfortable with the end result but also speed them up a bit and make more of them. I have many different films I wanna make. It’s like a big airplane hangar and I have different projects on the floor; half-assembled in my brain. I’m interested in all of them. You kind of have to move on the ones people are willing to pay for and the ones you’re most excited about.
So don't give up hope just yet. If Bird can get the pieces to click together, THE INCREDIBLES 2 would absolutely qualify as one of the projects "people are willing to pay for".
In the same THR interview, Bird also revealed that Kathleen Kennedy and George Lucas approached him about directing STAR WARS: EPISODE VII, and that he turned them down because it would've pulled him off of TOMORROWLAND, which he believes is "really special and unique". While Bird directing a STAR WARS movie could've been amazing, I'd much prefer to see him make something original. Let's hope TOMORROWLAND lives up to its potential.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 230 total posts 205 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 185 total posts 141 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 205 total posts 62 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 559 total posts 36 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 114 total posts 24 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 180 total posts 23 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 10 total posts 10 posts
- Check Out Thomas Haden Church in this Trailer for WHITEWASH! -- 66 total posts 10 posts
- ‘There Is Only One Hell!!’ Stannis, Davos, Melissandre, Varys, Bran, Hodor, Reek And The Bastard Of Bolton Return For Tonight’s Big Second GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 356 total posts 9 posts
- In Many Ways We Need Each Other!! Graham & Lecter Reform Their Crimefighting Team On HANNIBAL!! New WHOSE, FIVE-0, BLOODS, UNFORGETTABLE, DIXIE, GUNS, LAST & SMACKDOWN!! Return Of THE WRITERS’ ROOM!! HANGER 1 Finale!! Shatner On CRAIG!! Herc’s Friday TV Talkback!! -- 29 total posts 9 posts