WB Is Going To Remake THE WILD BUNCH Whether You Like It Or Not, And Now They've Got Will Smith Involved!
For $7.99 via Amazon Prime, you can purchase a perfectly watchable Blu-ray of Sam Peckinpah's classic THE WILD BUNCH. That's money well spent - though I imagine there'll be a spiffed-up re-release at some point if only because it's a popular library title for Warner Bros. In any event, my point is that Peckinpah's seminal revisionist western isn't going anywhere.
So let's keep that in mind as we deal with The Wrap's report that Will Smith is attached to star in WB's long-in-development remake of THE WILD BUNCH. It will be a modernized version in which a rogue DEA agent assembles a team to rip off a massively wealthy Mexican drug lord. David Ayer (TRAINING DAY, END OF WATCH) wrote a screenplay a while back, while Brian Helgeland (L.A. CONFIDENTIAL) got halfway through a draft for the late Tony Scott. There is no word as to whether these scripts will be incorporated into Smith's version, but I would caution people against making 1:1 comparisons to the original as they attempt to guess whether Smith will take the William Holden or Robert Ryan role. My understanding is that, structurally and character-wise, the remake is a different beast entirely.
At least is was. Smith has specific screenwriters he likes to work with (namely Akiva Goldsman), so I wouldn't be surprised if one of these guys is hired to do a page-one rewrite and tailor the project to Smith's unthreatening sensibility. Then again, it's possible that Smith regrets turning down the title role in Quentin Tarantino's DJANGO UNCHAINED (because his character didn't get to kill Leo DiCaprio's villain), and is finally ready to torch his good guy image. Tom Cruise has done it from time to time, and he's still one of the world's biggest movie stars. Smith needs to find his COLLATERAL, and resist the urge to dull the character's razor-sharp edges. Perhaps THE WILD BUNCH will be his first legitimate attempt at this.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 148 total posts 18 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 352 total posts 15 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 82 total posts 14 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 42 total posts 13 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 20 total posts 12 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 19 total posts 10 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 111 total posts 10 posts
- "Where do you stand on Michael Buble?" "His windpipe?" Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon have more celebrity impressions up their sleeves in THE TRIP TO ITALY trailer! -- 30 total posts 8 posts
- Director Colin Trevorrow Talks The Bigger Picture Of JURASSIC WORLD!! -- 71 total posts 7 posts
- Check Out the Trailer for EJECTA - From PONTYPOOL Scribe Tony Burgess! -- 13 total posts 6 posts