WB Is Going To Remake THE WILD BUNCH Whether You Like It Or Not, And Now They've Got Will Smith Involved!
For $7.99 via Amazon Prime, you can purchase a perfectly watchable Blu-ray of Sam Peckinpah's classic THE WILD BUNCH. That's money well spent - though I imagine there'll be a spiffed-up re-release at some point if only because it's a popular library title for Warner Bros. In any event, my point is that Peckinpah's seminal revisionist western isn't going anywhere.
So let's keep that in mind as we deal with The Wrap's report that Will Smith is attached to star in WB's long-in-development remake of THE WILD BUNCH. It will be a modernized version in which a rogue DEA agent assembles a team to rip off a massively wealthy Mexican drug lord. David Ayer (TRAINING DAY, END OF WATCH) wrote a screenplay a while back, while Brian Helgeland (L.A. CONFIDENTIAL) got halfway through a draft for the late Tony Scott. There is no word as to whether these scripts will be incorporated into Smith's version, but I would caution people against making 1:1 comparisons to the original as they attempt to guess whether Smith will take the William Holden or Robert Ryan role. My understanding is that, structurally and character-wise, the remake is a different beast entirely.
At least is was. Smith has specific screenwriters he likes to work with (namely Akiva Goldsman), so I wouldn't be surprised if one of these guys is hired to do a page-one rewrite and tailor the project to Smith's unthreatening sensibility. Then again, it's possible that Smith regrets turning down the title role in Quentin Tarantino's DJANGO UNCHAINED (because his character didn't get to kill Leo DiCaprio's villain), and is finally ready to torch his good guy image. Tom Cruise has done it from time to time, and he's still one of the world's biggest movie stars. Smith needs to find his COLLATERAL, and resist the urge to dull the character's razor-sharp edges. Perhaps THE WILD BUNCH will be his first legitimate attempt at this.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- After writing Gareth Edwards' STAR WARS flick, Gary Whitta will move on to Mark Millar's STARLIGHT! -- 183 total posts 27 posts
- DOCTOR WHO S08E05 ‘Time Heist’ Reader Reaction Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk’s ‘Domain Of The Voord’ Big Finish Audio Review, Synopses For Upcoming S8 Eps, And More!! UPDATE RE: UPCOMING UK TIME CHANGE!! -- 163 total posts 26 posts
- CBS, The Only Network Without A Superhero Show, Just Ordered To Series Berlanti’s SUPERGIRL!! -- 67 total posts 21 posts
- Capone says Kevin Smith's wonderfully grotesque TUSK falters when it tries too hard to be funny!!! -- 61 total posts 20 posts
- The GODZILLA Sequel Has A Writer!! -- 212 total posts 19 posts
- Papa Vinyard talks with Rose McGowan about her first project as a director and the DAWN Film Festival she's curating this week in downtown Los Angeles! -- 30 total posts 19 posts
- The Additions of Sam Elliott and DEADWOOD’s Garret Dillahunt Suggest That The Final Season Of JUSTIFIED Will Own Us All!! -- 31 total posts 12 posts
- Harry @ Fantastic Fest 2014: TUSK, REALITI, CUB, TALE OF PRINCESS KAGUYA, HIVE, MAN FROM RENO & FREE FALL! -- 11 total posts 11 posts
- Capone's Art-House Round-Up with THE DISAPPEARANCE OF ELEANOR RIGBY: THEM and Terry Gilliam's THE ZERO THEOREM!!! -- 24 total posts 10 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Tomorrow's THE STRAIN, The Next HOMELAND, Fox’s GOTHAM, Showtime’s THE AFFAIR, ABC’s FOREVER, CBS’ SCORPION & MADAM SECRETARY, Scott Frank’s A WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES And The Latest MARVEL, DC & SNL News!! Plus The Return Of Horrorella!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 9 total posts 9 posts