MEDIEVAL TIMES: THE MOTION PICTURE!
A few years ago, a producer friend of mine told me that one of the studios was very seriously considering making a film based on the Jolly Green Giant. It was pure corporate thinking: several generations of people have grown up eating Green Giant frozen vegetables, and with that kind of crazy brand recognition, awareness would be through the roof! Of course, no one had any idea why people would want to pay money to see a movie about a frozen food pitchman; they just saw a well-known brand that could be profitably exploited in another medium.
So I'm actually not shocked that, according to Deadline, production companies Benderspink and Broken Road are looking to make a movie based on Medieval Times, the novelty restaurant where you eat with your hands, guzzle mead and watch knights joust on real horses. Is it the dumbest idea I've heard since the Jolly Green Giant movie that was thankfully never made? Absolutely. But it was only a matter of time before some brand-happy bastards moved forward on a ludicrous project like this. I'm sure the producers' defense will be "It's just a way to make a really cool, big-budget medieval adventure at a major studio." Fair enough. And I do recall expressing outrage when Disney started making movies out of amusement park rides a decade ago. Sooner or later, the shock will wear off, and most people will get used to movies based on chain restaurants (which I suppose makes MAC AND ME the most prescient film of the 1980s).
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Quint sits down with Frank Miller to talk a little about Sin City: A Dame To Kill For! -- 137 total posts 94 posts
- Trailer for Gregg Araki's WHITE BIRD IN A BLIZZARD, Starring Shailene Woodley and Eva Green! -- 90 total posts 84 posts
- Shane Black to bring Remo Williams back to the big screen in THE DESTROYER! -- 209 total posts 76 posts
- Is Tarantino about to make Jennifer Lawrence one of THE HATEFUL EIGHT!?! -- 153 total posts 75 posts
- Take A ‘Deep Breath’ - The DOCTOR WHO S8 Weekend Docbacks Begin Now!! -- 66 total posts 66 posts
- Trailer for NIGHTCRAWLER! "If it bleeds, it leads!" -- 83 total posts 39 posts
- Get A Grip On Denzel Washington’s EQUALIZER!! -- 36 total posts 36 posts
- ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Season Premiere Of DOCTOR WHO And Asks: Why Is It So Terrible?? -- 30 total posts 30 posts
- Harry Potter spinoff FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM to be directed by someone...who's directed Harry Potter movies! -- 118 total posts 30 posts
- August Picks & Peeks 2014 Catch Up: DePalma, Jarmusch, Corman, Cuaron, Arau, Cosmotos, Brass, Huston + more! -- 363 total posts 30 posts