MEDIEVAL TIMES: THE MOTION PICTURE!
A few years ago, a producer friend of mine told me that one of the studios was very seriously considering making a film based on the Jolly Green Giant. It was pure corporate thinking: several generations of people have grown up eating Green Giant frozen vegetables, and with that kind of crazy brand recognition, awareness would be through the roof! Of course, no one had any idea why people would want to pay money to see a movie about a frozen food pitchman; they just saw a well-known brand that could be profitably exploited in another medium.
So I'm actually not shocked that, according to Deadline, production companies Benderspink and Broken Road are looking to make a movie based on Medieval Times, the novelty restaurant where you eat with your hands, guzzle mead and watch knights joust on real horses. Is it the dumbest idea I've heard since the Jolly Green Giant movie that was thankfully never made? Absolutely. But it was only a matter of time before some brand-happy bastards moved forward on a ludicrous project like this. I'm sure the producers' defense will be "It's just a way to make a really cool, big-budget medieval adventure at a major studio." Fair enough. And I do recall expressing outrage when Disney started making movies out of amusement park rides a decade ago. Sooner or later, the shock will wear off, and most people will get used to movies based on chain restaurants (which I suppose makes MAC AND ME the most prescient film of the 1980s).
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Chats Up BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER / ED WOOD Icon (And Hollywood Royalty) Juliet Landau!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 285 total posts 258 posts
- Fox Renews For Next Season THE MINDY PROJECT, THE FOLLOWING, BROOKLYN NINE-NINE And NEW GIRL!! -- 59 total posts 5 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 257 total posts 4 posts
- Learn What Happens Next On HBO’s GAME OF THRONES!! -- 141 total posts 3 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 132 total posts 3 posts
- Quint eats up Jon Favreau's CHEF, opening night flick of SXSW 2014! -- 30 total posts 1 post
- Capone says SON OF GOD isn't even the greatest version of this story ever told!!! -- 348 total posts 1 post
- Lena Dunham Hosts SNL!! Sagan COSMOS Marathon On NGC!! New UNIVERSE, OUTRAGEOUS ACTS OF SCIENCE & BLACK SAILS!! SWAMP PAWN, RAISING WHITLEY, SCORNED, COPS & CRAZY HEARTS Finales!! Hallmark’s A RING BY SPRING!! Lifetime’s A TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 25 total posts 1 post
- Karen Gillan has Night Terrors in this First OCULUS Clip! -- 22 total posts 1 post