Steven Spielberg And Bradley Cooper Put AMERICAN SNIPER In The Crosshairs!
This is an interesting choice, and unexpected for Steven Spielberg. According to Hollywood Reporter, Spielberg has picked his next project, and it seems a long way away from the science fiction spectacle of ROBOPOCALYPSE. Instead, Spielberg will adapt Chris Kyle's autobiography AMERICAN SNIPER, with Bradley Cooper to star. The script is written by Jason Hall, who will also executive produce.
Kyle is considered to be the most effective Navy SEAL sniper in American history, with 160 confirmed kills in the Iraq conflict. Kyle served a total of four tours, was shot twice, and the insurgents referred to Kyle as the "Devil of Ramadi." After returning home to Texas, Kyle wrote his autobiography, which was released in 2012. This February, Kyle was killed at a shooting range in Texas, by a fellow Iraq veteran who apparently suffered from post traumatic stress disorder. Kyle was trying to help the man deal with his PTSD when he was shot.
Obviously, there's a cinematic story to be told here, and while I'm as liberal as they come, I really hope Steven Spielberg takes an impartial approach. Hopefully the Spielberg that took out the guns in the E.T. re-release isn't the Spielberg that directs this, and I have no reason to think that Spielberg won't treat this material with the utmost respect. This story is full of pitfalls and Spielberg will have to tread carefully. But if the director of MUNICH and SAVING PRIVATE RYAN shows up, I think he could do this story proud - not to shy away from the harsher realities of war, but to address the subject with sensitivity. The Iraq War has not been covered extensively by Hollywood, but Spielberg making a movie about that conflict could well open up other movies like THE HURT LOCKER.
It's a brave decision regardless for Spielberg to cover this material, considering the conversation about guns in the country right now. It won't be an easy film for Spielberg to make. I wish him and Bradley Cooper the best of luck in bringing this to the screen.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 298 total posts 148 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 427 total posts 146 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 317 total posts 71 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 34 total posts 34 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 247 total posts 27 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 211 total posts 21 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 586 total posts 20 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 13 total posts 13 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 205 total posts 12 posts
- 3rd week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: Welles,Wilder,Svankmajer, Mann,Jeong, Sirk,Trier & more!!! -- 153 total posts 7 posts