Steven Spielberg And Bradley Cooper Put AMERICAN SNIPER In The Crosshairs!
This is an interesting choice, and unexpected for Steven Spielberg. According to Hollywood Reporter, Spielberg has picked his next project, and it seems a long way away from the science fiction spectacle of ROBOPOCALYPSE. Instead, Spielberg will adapt Chris Kyle's autobiography AMERICAN SNIPER, with Bradley Cooper to star. The script is written by Jason Hall, who will also executive produce.
Kyle is considered to be the most effective Navy SEAL sniper in American history, with 160 confirmed kills in the Iraq conflict. Kyle served a total of four tours, was shot twice, and the insurgents referred to Kyle as the "Devil of Ramadi." After returning home to Texas, Kyle wrote his autobiography, which was released in 2012. This February, Kyle was killed at a shooting range in Texas, by a fellow Iraq veteran who apparently suffered from post traumatic stress disorder. Kyle was trying to help the man deal with his PTSD when he was shot.
Obviously, there's a cinematic story to be told here, and while I'm as liberal as they come, I really hope Steven Spielberg takes an impartial approach. Hopefully the Spielberg that took out the guns in the E.T. re-release isn't the Spielberg that directs this, and I have no reason to think that Spielberg won't treat this material with the utmost respect. This story is full of pitfalls and Spielberg will have to tread carefully. But if the director of MUNICH and SAVING PRIVATE RYAN shows up, I think he could do this story proud - not to shy away from the harsher realities of war, but to address the subject with sensitivity. The Iraq War has not been covered extensively by Hollywood, but Spielberg making a movie about that conflict could well open up other movies like THE HURT LOCKER.
It's a brave decision regardless for Spielberg to cover this material, considering the conversation about guns in the country right now. It won't be an easy film for Spielberg to make. I wish him and Bradley Cooper the best of luck in bringing this to the screen.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 147 total posts 17 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 40 total posts 11 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 19 total posts 11 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 78 total posts 10 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 111 total posts 10 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 17 total posts 8 posts
- Director Colin Trevorrow Talks The Bigger Picture Of JURASSIC WORLD!! -- 71 total posts 7 posts
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 398 total posts 6 posts
- "Where do you stand on Michael Buble?" "His windpipe?" Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon have more celebrity impressions up their sleeves in THE TRIP TO ITALY trailer! -- 28 total posts 6 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 343 total posts 6 posts