UPDATE!! John Ary's Video Review Of The STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION Season 3 Blu-ray!!
UPDATE: 6:18 PM CST USA 29 APRIL 2013
After rewatching my review a few times and trading tweets from folks, I think I unfairly buried the extras. I neglected to mention the Inside the Writer's Room roundtable discussion with Seth McFarlane, the tribute to Michael Piller, and a three-part overview of Season 3. Along with these, the new commentaries and old archival docs from the original DVD release, it's got a lot going for it. Sometimes when you stand in front of a green screen by yourself and babble for 15 minutes, you miss a few things like an idiot.
John Ary here with a look back at one of the most important sci-fi franchises of all time...
Star Trek: The Next Generation had a rocky start in seasons one and two. Of course there were some great episodes, but you had to wade through some rough science fiction with The Naked Now, Homeward, Code of Honor, and that one with Joe Piscopo. By the middle of the third season, the show hit its stride under the creative guidance of Michael Pillar. He helped bring new layers of depth to the core characters along with mentoring a fresh crop of young writers. Tomorrow we're getting season 3 on Blu-ray, which gave me the excuse to blabber on about some of the reasons I absolutely love this show. Here's an overview on the rise of Piller and my personal top 5 episodes from this pivotal season:
Not only will the Star Trek: The Next Generation Season Three Blu-ray go on sale Tuesday, but we'll also get The Best of Both Worlds in a special Blu-ray set as well. If you would like to win your own copy of the greatest two-part Trek story of all time, you are in luck. All you have to do is follow me on Twitter (john_ary) and tweet me the name of the special guest star of the Worf-specific episode that I talk about in the video with the hashtag #TNGSeason3. I'll pick one winner at random on Wednesday at Noon CST.
On an almost totally unrelated note, I also feel the need to talk briefly talk about a new mobile game releasing on Thursday. Trek video games for the most part have sucked major Targ tit in the last 25 years. Star Command looks to reverse the trend, by promising a fun ship-to-ship combat simulator. Will it be better than the big budget Star Trek movie console game that released last week? I think the probability is high. I haven't played it yet and I missed out on chipping in on its Kickstarter campaign in 2011, but I'm very ready to give these guys my money.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flag in THE STAND?!! -- 178 total posts 50 posts
- Take A ‘Deep Breath’ - The DOCTOR WHO S8 Weekend Docbacks Begin Now!! -- 127 total posts 18 posts
- ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Season Premiere Of DOCTOR WHO And Asks: Why Is It So Terrible?? -- 175 total posts 10 posts
- Get A Grip On Denzel Washington’s EQUALIZER!! -- 118 total posts 8 posts
- Quint sits down with Frank Miller to talk a little about Sin City: A Dame To Kill For! -- 163 total posts 4 posts
- An Andrew Dominik-written, Justin Lin-directed SHAOLIN TEMPLE remake is in the works! -- 26 total posts 3 posts
- AICN Tabletop: Abstruse Reports On GenCon 2014! -- 14 total posts 2 posts
- Creepy Dolls and Satanic Cults! Full ANNABELLE Trailer is Here! -- 99 total posts 2 posts
- BIG BROTHER Eviction Nine!! RECTIFY & ROOKIE BLUE Finales!! New GARFUNKLE, JESUS, NAKED, QUEST, WORST, MARRIED, MYTHBUSTERS, RUSH, RECTIFY, DOOMSDAY, DEFIANCE, SWEDEN, SATISFACTION, ENGELS, GAME, BOO BOO, BAD, BIBLE!! Bunnymen On LETTERMAN!! Rehearsals On CONAN!! Herc’s Thursday TV Talkback!! -- 18 total posts 2 posts
- Is Tarantino about to make Jennifer Lawrence one of THE HATEFUL EIGHT!?! -- 163 total posts 2 posts