Kathleen Kennedy Embraces Transparency In The Making Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII!
The minute J.J. Abrams was tapped to direct STAR WARS EPISODE VII, fans began preparing for two-plus years of teasing and misdirection. This is how Abrams plays the game, and, thus far, it's worked wonders for him (even though the viral marketing payoffs have generally been forgettable). That said, it looks like Lucasfilm honcho Kathleen Kennedy might have other ideas. Skip to 1:15 for her comment on easing up on confidentiality (via ScreenSlam):
Kennedy is a smart, practical, insanely successful producer, so I wouldn't dare second guess her instincts. That said, I am concerned with this willingness to consider marketing campaigns in the crafting of the actual film. I feel that this "Mystery Box" preoccupation has significantly weakened a number of Abrams's movies (in particular SUPER 8 and *bzzt*). Just make your goddamn movie. The trailers and the TV spots will take care of themselves.
It'll be interesting to see how Lucasfilm engages fans during the making of these next three movies. My guess is that Kennedy will probably come around to Abrams's way of doing things.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Here’s A Video Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII’s Millennium Falcon, Highlighting One Little Detail… -- 410 total posts 409 posts
- Is DOCTOR STRANGE coming to us in July 2016?!! -- 409 total posts 213 posts
- Another New (And Rather Cool) INTERSTELLAR Poster!! -- 194 total posts 194 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 133 total posts 133 posts
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 94 total posts 94 posts
- Meet Bigfoot in this New Clip from EXISTS! -- 189 total posts 94 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 90 total posts 90 posts
- 3rd PICKS & PEEKS of Sept 2014: Crichton Blus, THE PARTY, Bloody Entertainment, GODZILLA 3D & More!!! -- 677 total posts 66 posts
- This Poster For INSIDIOUS CHAPTER 3 Is Creepy And Requires Reading!! -- 60 total posts 60 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 55 total posts 55 posts