Kathleen Kennedy Embraces Transparency In The Making Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII!
The minute J.J. Abrams was tapped to direct STAR WARS EPISODE VII, fans began preparing for two-plus years of teasing and misdirection. This is how Abrams plays the game, and, thus far, it's worked wonders for him (even though the viral marketing payoffs have generally been forgettable). That said, it looks like Lucasfilm honcho Kathleen Kennedy might have other ideas. Skip to 1:15 for her comment on easing up on confidentiality (via ScreenSlam):
Kennedy is a smart, practical, insanely successful producer, so I wouldn't dare second guess her instincts. That said, I am concerned with this willingness to consider marketing campaigns in the crafting of the actual film. I feel that this "Mystery Box" preoccupation has significantly weakened a number of Abrams's movies (in particular SUPER 8 and *bzzt*). Just make your goddamn movie. The trailers and the TV spots will take care of themselves.
It'll be interesting to see how Lucasfilm engages fans during the making of these next three movies. My guess is that Kennedy will probably come around to Abrams's way of doing things.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who wants to see one of GODZILLA's opponents from the new film!?! (In toy form) -- 168 total posts 8 posts
- Robin Williams May Return As Mrs. Doubtfire! -- 52 total posts 3 posts
- 3rd Official X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST trailer hits - and it is a big one!!! -- 498 total posts 2 posts
- 3rd week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: Welles,Wilder,Svankmajer, Mann,Jeong, Sirk,Trier & more!!! -- 128 total posts 2 posts
- Trailer for IF I STAY, Starring Chloe Grace Moretz! -- 57 total posts 2 posts
- Denzel Washington Walks In The Middle Of The Street In THE EQUALIZER Teaser Poster! -- 31 total posts 1 post