Peter Berg To Produce And Perhaps Direct A Derek Boogaard Biopic
The tragic life of a professional hockey enforcer is going to get a sober-minded examination from Peter Berg. According to Deadline, the director is teaming with Focus Features to make a film centered on the hard-hitting career of Derek Boogaard, a feared tough guy who died tragically at the age of twenty-eight from an accidental overdose of prescription pills and alcohol.
Boogaard suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a degenerative brain disease that can be exacerbated by repetitive blows to the head. Boogaard's case of CTE was especially severe. After a rough-and-tumble string of seasons with the Minnesota Wild and the New York Rangers, he found himself dealing with memory loss and crushing depression. This condition haunts many athletes after they retire from contact sports, and while it's been the subject of many investigative articles and documentaries, a high-profile Hollywood film could put CTE on the public's radar in a big way. Given the popularity of contact sports, it's important that we learn more about CTE, so that we can treat it more effectively and, perhaps one day, prevent it from progressing to the stage where it makes living one's life unbearable.
Up-and-coming screenwriter Ryan Condal (HERCULES: THE THRACIAN WARS) is currently working on the script. If you're interested in learning more about CTE, I highly recommend checking out Steve James's 2012 documentary HEAD GAMES.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 222 total posts 143 posts
- Today's STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Status Report: Casting "Almost Complete", Second Unit Shooting Underway! -- 310 total posts 54 posts
- IT'S A SMALL WORLD: THE MOVIE directed by Jon Turteltaub is a real thing Disney wants to make! -- 65 total posts 45 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 291 total posts 43 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 386 total posts 29 posts
- ‘So Who Wants To Go First??’ Amy Acker Is The Cellist In Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ELSEWHERE & ER On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! New AWKWARD, SWAP, BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, TOSH, GLEE, FIRE, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL, FARGO, FISHER & VOICE!! CONTAINER Finale!! Don Rickles On KIMMEL!! Natalie Dormer On SETH!! Stephen Colbert On LETTERMAN!! Elizabeth Warren On THE DAILY SHOW!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 152 total posts 24 posts
Learn What’s Ahead
For GAME OF THRONES!! -- 41 total posts 19 posts
- 4th Week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: SORCERER, GET CARTER, PAWNBROKER, Slasher horror & more!!! -- 128 total posts 17 posts
- A thief will elude capture using interstellar teleportation in Doug Liman's RAILHEAD! -- 25 total posts 15 posts
- Tina Fey and Amy Poehler's THE NEST is now set to take on Luke Skywalker and friends in December 2015! -- 34 total posts 12 posts