Werner Herzog Courting James Franco For His Gertrude Bell Biopic, QUEEN OF THE DESERT (Though, Sadly, Not For The Title Role)!
Though Deadline's Michael Fleming Jr. undercuts his latest "exclusive" by noting that he's "not certain it's going to happen", let's nonetheless consider the gonzo potential of a fearless performer like James Franco working with the great Werner Herzog. Though it'd be a supporting performance in Herzog's long-in-development Gertrude Bell biopic, QUEEN OF THE DESERT, Franco just seems like Herzog's type of actor, i.e. willing to push so far that you worry for his mental well-being. Obviously, you want to point to Herzog's legendary collaborations with Klaus Kinski, but, for a more recent example of an actor giving his bizarro all for the director, just look at Michael Shannon in the deeply underrated MY SON, MY SON, WHAT HAVE YE DONE.
Franco would take over the role of Henry Cadogan from the recently-exited Jude Law. Cadogan was a British diplomat with whom Bell fell in love whilst traveling the Middle East in the early 20th century. Naomi Watts will star as Bell, while Robert Pattinson has been handed the unenviable task of playing T.E. Lawrence.
Fleming notes that Herzog and his producers could be in a rush to get this film made, as Ridley Scott has a Gertrude Bell biopic in development at Fox with Angelina Jolie attached. If this ultimately falls through (as Fleming indicates it might), I'm all for Herzog and Franco running off to South America to make AGUIRRE GOES BANANAS.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 179 total posts 43 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 306 total posts 5 posts
- Spring Forward With Lauren Cohen & Sonequa Martin-Green On TALKING DEAD!! Data Brokers On 60 MINUTES!! The Premieres Of Fox’s COSMOS, Lohan’s LINDSAY & Carolla’s CATCH A CONTRATOR!! The Returns Of BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, ONCE & REVENGE!! New GIRLS, ISLAND, AMAZING, SHAMELESS, FIANCE, WIVES, AX!! KARDASHIANS & LOOKING Finales!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 6 total posts 3 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 81 total posts 3 posts
- SXSW 2014: Nordling Reviews BOYHOOD! -- 7 total posts 2 posts
- A newly remastered 4K print of THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE is coming just in time for its 40th anniversary!! -- 70 total posts 1 post
- Merrick Stands Up In The Milky Way To Be Pummeled By The Greatness Of COSMOS: A SPACETIME ODYSSEY!! -- 43 total posts 1 post
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 216 total posts 1 post
- 'There’s No Going Home For Me!!' The New Promo For Fox’s 24: LIVE ANOTHER DAY!! -- 12 total posts 1 post
- Sam Raimi to produce an adaptation of THE LAST OF US!!! -- 155 total posts 1 post