AICN Toys: Retro ALIEN, Jumbo 4-LOM And Dengar, WALKING DEAD Minimates, And More!!
John Ary here with a quick look at a few toylines that are making news this week... As always click on the photos for an embiggened look...
RETRO ALIEN ACTION FIGURES FROM SUPER7
Even though Ridley Scott aimed his first sci-fi/horror film squarely at adults, it didn’t stop merchandisers in 1979 from making a wide array of toys and games based on his iconic monster. There had been a series of 3.75-inch action figures planned, but the line never got off the ground. Thankfully the guys over at Super7 tracked down the prototypes, the reference material and the permissions to recreate that abandoned toy line. Ash, Ripley, Kane, Dallas (not pictured) and The Big Chap (the alien) will each come with accessories and period-authentic blister card packaging. Look for each figure to run you $19.99 when they release in either August or September.
JUMBO 4-LOM AND DENGAR FROM GENTLE GIANT LTD.
Two more galactic bounty hunters will soon get the JUMBO figure treatment. 4-Lom, the ambitious protocol droid that overwrote his own programming to embark on a life of crime and Dengar, the only guy who can boast that Boba Fett was the best man at his wedding, will both stand 12-inches tall and come with embiggened versions of their original Kenner accessories. Gentle Giant digitally scanned the original 3.75-inch Kenner toys and then reproduced these bad boys using roto and injection molding techniques. Each figure will also come packed in a 1980 Empire Strikes Back-inspired blister card, featuring original front and “45 back” artwork, in a re-sealable plastic outer clam shell. Both of these fellas will begin collecting bounties in December.
RETRO 8-INCH and 12-INCH BATMAN FROM FIGURES TOY COMPANY
Toy collectors who loved the original Mego action figures of the 70′s and 80′s will want to be on the look out for a new wave of retro Batman action figures soon. Figures Toy Company, who specializes in 8-inch and 12-inch toys including the recent KISS figures and Mad Monster series, will release a wave dedicated to the classic versions of Batman, Robin, Joker and Riddler. Each character features a cloth costume, 16 points of articulation and a reusable plastic protective case with full-color backing card. Future series will include Penguin, Catwoman, Bruce Wayne, Dick Grayson, Batgirl and more characters that Mego never released. Look for wave 1 to swing into action in July. Also the company acquired the license to make a wave of figures based on original 1966 TV show. They've released a teaser pic showing off the head sculpts of a Cesar Romero Joker and a Vincent Price Egghead. The company also plans to produce The Penguin, Catwoman, Dick Grayson, Bruce Wayne, King Tut, Mr. Freeze, Shame, Bookworm, Mad Hatter, Batman (with removable cowl), Robin (with removable mask), The Joker in prison baseball outfit, The Joker in opera outfit, & The Joker in grey suit. These will be available in both an 8-inch and 12-inch scale.
GEARS OF WAR 3 SERIES 2 FROM NECA
The heroes from Gears of War 3 have returned in a second round of 3.75-inch action figures. NECA has included Marcus Fenix, Augustus Cole (Cole Train) and Dominic Santiago (Dom) in the wave. These meatheads feature more than 20 points of articulation, their accessories from the game and blister card packaging. Look for these to hit toy shelves in June.
THE WALKING DEAD COMIC SERIES 4 FROM DIAMOND SELECT
The Governor and his lieutenants reunite with some of the people who hated them the most. The Governor and Gabe, Michonne vs Bruce, Lori (with baby Judith) and partially flayed Shoulder Zombie, and a prison doctor with Woodbury defector Alice make up the wave. Look for each of these 2-inch figure two-packs to release this summer.
And finally this week, I happened to run across this video showing the very first Masters of the Universe toy commercial that Mattel ever produced. I'm digging the hand-drawn animation style...
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 485 total posts 204 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 300 total posts 150 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 328 total posts 82 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 66 total posts 66 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 225 total posts 35 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 255 total posts 35 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 590 total posts 24 posts
- Papa Vinyard Saw THE HATEFUL EIGHT Script Reading Last Night And Here's His Review! -- 23 total posts 23 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 18 total posts 18 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 209 total posts 16 posts