Quint's heading out to LA for Monsterpalooza this weekend!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. This Friday I’ll be headed to Los Angeles in order to take part in a rather geeky convention. I’ve heard of Monsterpalooza for a few years now and always wanted to go. It’s a big gathering of monster dorks, including top effects people who slave away building unique displays year upon year.
You may have seen some pictures of one of those displays last year. One of my favorites was a life size recreation of a young Rick Baker making up David Naughton during the making of An American Werewolf in London.
Mike Hill did that and had an interesting visitor during the con…
If I made that thing and had Rick Baker checking out my sculpt of his younger self I think I'd be crapping my pants a little bit. Hill also did this great set up of Jack Pierce making up Boris Karloff as The Mummy:
I’ll be there with my trusty camera and almost assuredly not enough money in my pocket. I hear the stuff for sale is mindblowingly cool, with a ton of dealer tables selling the craziest, coolest, sometimes one of a kind hand made monster memorabilia. Professional geeks like Jon Favreau and Guillermo del Toro are regular attendees, so that should show you how sweet the dealer floor is.
I’m also planning on hitting up the autograph alley area to perhaps grab a few interviews. There’s actually a lot of really interesting people showing up to sign stuff, including Ultraman’s Bin Furuya and Susumu Kurobe, Martin Landau, Linda Blair, Danny Glover, Ace Frehley, pretty much everybody from The Monster Squad, Julie Adams, all four (living) leads from Pet Sematary, Caroll Spinney, The Chiodo Brothers, Carl Gottlieb, Joe Alves (yay Jaws) and one of my favorite character actors Al Leong (Big Trouble in Little China, Die Hard, Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure, etc).
The con runs Friday-Sunday and you can find out more info and get tickets and all that stuff at their website.
I also hear the American Cinematheque is doing obscure film noir double features while I’m there, so I expect I’ll hit a couple of those as well.
Hope to see some of you guys at the convention! This is my first time, so be gentle with me!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 89 total posts 64 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 68 total posts 24 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 539 total posts 16 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 166 total posts 9 posts
- ‘There Is Only One Hell!!’ Stannis, Davos, Melissandre, Varys, Bran, Hodor, Reek And The Bastard Of Bolton Return For Tonight’s Big Second GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 353 total posts 6 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 149 total posts 6 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 96 total posts 6 posts
- In Many Ways We Need Each Other!! Graham & Lecter Reform Their Crimefighting Team On HANNIBAL!! New WHOSE, FIVE-0, BLOODS, UNFORGETTABLE, DIXIE, GUNS, LAST & SMACKDOWN!! Return Of THE WRITERS’ ROOM!! HANGER 1 Finale!! Shatner On CRAIG!! Herc’s Friday TV Talkback!! -- 23 total posts 3 posts
- Nordling Reviews TRANSCENDENCE! -- 205 total posts 2 posts
- 3rd week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: Welles,Wilder,Svankmajer, Mann,Jeong, Sirk,Trier & more!!! -- 146 total posts 2 posts