Rest In Peace Annette Funicello
Hey guys. Quint here. Annette Funicello died today at the age of 70 and I thought I’d say a few words about her.
Annette was one of those rare pop culture icons to mean different things to different generations. For my parent’s generation, she was the hot Mouseketeer who helped kickstart the hormones of a whole lot of ‘50s boys. She matured at the same time as my folks’ generation and became the go-to beach babe to star alongside Frankie Avalon in films like BEACH PARTY, MUSCLE BEACH PARTY, BIKINI BEACH and BEACH BLANKET BINGO.
For my generation, Annette was more of a reference, a lyric in GREASE (“Would you pull that crap with Annette?”) or a filthy conversation in STAND BY ME. But I became very aware of her as a personality thanks to two things: Pee-Wee’s Christmas Special, where Pee-Wee forced her and Frankie Avalon to make Christmas cards while he and the rest of the playhouse had fun, and the insanely good and under-seen lampoon of her Beach Party days BACK TO THE BEACH.
Back to the Beach is so good. It takes an surprisingly honest look at what happens when a couple of big deal teen stars enter middle age, especially when these two teen stars were known for their wholesome images and have to live in the kind of filthy ‘80s.
What’s great about the movie is that it’s goofy, full of cheese and crazy cameos (everybody from Pee-Wee to Don Knotts to Stevie Ray Vaughn), but when you get to know the early Frankie and Annette Beach flicks you realize that there’s a deeper satire at work here. The old beach party flicks were almost always about a good couple that argues, flirts around to make the other jealous and then have to come back together at the end and that’s exactly the story here, except instead of a couple of lovelorn teenagers it’s an old married couple.
I loved Back to the Beach as a kid and still do, as a matter of fact. I’ll be throwing it on in the background as I finish up today’s work.
It’s a rare star that can keep pop culture relevance over a couple of generations, but Annette did that. From her Mouseketeer days (she was one of the only cast members to be personally selected by Walt Disney himself) to her success as a singer with Tall Paul, O Dio Mio, Train of Love and Pineapple Princess to her late in life activism to bring awareness to Multiple Sclerosis and other Neurological diseases, Ms. Funicello made a splash at every stage of her life, not content to disappear into obscurity like so many teen stars.
My thoughts are with Ms. Funicello’s friends, family and fans.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 313 total posts 234 posts
- Today's STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Status Report: Casting "Almost Complete", Second Unit Shooting Underway! -- 333 total posts 77 posts
- IT'S A SMALL WORLD: THE MOVIE directed by Jon Turteltaub is a real thing Disney wants to make! -- 86 total posts 66 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 311 total posts 63 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 416 total posts 59 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 48 total posts 48 posts
- ‘So Who Wants To Go First??’ Amy Acker Is The Cellist In Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ELSEWHERE & ER On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! New AWKWARD, SWAP, BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, TOSH, GLEE, FIRE, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL, FARGO, FISHER & VOICE!! CONTAINER Finale!! Don Rickles On KIMMEL!! Natalie Dormer On SETH!! Stephen Colbert On LETTERMAN!! Elizabeth Warren On THE DAILY SHOW!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 168 total posts 40 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 39 total posts 39 posts
Learn What’s Ahead
For GAME OF THRONES!! -- 60 total posts 38 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 28 total posts 28 posts