Ain't It Cool News Does April Fool's With Bruce Campbell & EVIL DEAD!!!
The Kidd here...
A couple of months ago, I reached out to Sony Pictures Entertainment, hoping to put together an exclusive screening of EVIL DEAD for our Ain't It Cool readers down here in South Florida. Following the release of the red-band trailer, anticipation and excitement for the film were at an all-time high, and what better way to view it than with a bunch of rabid fans of THE EVIL DEAD series who desperately wanted to see it as soon as they possibly could?
We opened up dialogue to see what we could put together when a few weeks later I got an email, telling me in no uncertain terms, that the studio had an idea.
What if we announced that we'd be showing a print of Sam Raimi's 1981 original THE EVIL DEAD and, to sweeten the pot, with Bruce Campbell (who shoots BURN NOTICE nearby) being in attendance to do a Q&A after the film? And taking place on April 1 - April Fool's Day - what if after a few minutes of showing the original, the film would break... and we'd offer in its place the chance to watch Fede Alvarez's 2013 version, EVIL DEAD?
Count me in.
And so began a process of concocting a credible story of legal hang-ups and wrangling, 35mm prints and broken promises that would lead our readers and THE EVIL DEAD fans out to the AMC Sunset Place 24 in South Miami with no idea as to what was waiting for them (We would also have THE EVIL DEAD for them afterwards, for those who really had their heart set on seeing it that night on the big screen).
But I didn't want this awesome opportunity to be just for those in, near, around or willing to travel to the Miami for this event, so the steps necessary were taken in order to capture the magic of Bruce Campbell for your own viewing enjoyment.
If you've never had the chance to see Bruce Campbell in action doing his thing, it's quite something. Even hosting the Q&A, I had no choice but to stand back and get out of the way, because once he gets on a roll, your best course of action is simply to direct traffic... and in two different Q&As, that is exactly what happened. Enjoy the hell out of this, as we're bringing you the full Q&As, which took place both before and after we pulled the old switcheroo. You just might want to be careful where you're watching it, as there is no shortage of expletives flying around throughout the course of the evening's events.
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Follow me on Twitter.
Like me on Facebook.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- A Provocative New Trailer For THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES!! Nic Cage, Tim Burton, Kevin Smith… -- 287 total posts 287 posts
- August Picks & Peeks 2014 Catch Up: DePalma, Jarmusch, Corman, Cuaron, Arau, Cosmotos, Brass, Huston + more! -- 159 total posts 159 posts
- Filed under "you're damn right it's 2014," Kevin Smith to direct Johnny Depp in YOGA HOSERS!! -- 286 total posts 96 posts
- Trailer for New Stephen King Thriller, A GOOD MARRIAGE! -- 80 total posts 72 posts
- Here’s Our First Official Image From The ANT-MAN Movie!! -- 305 total posts 33 posts
- Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg to Re-Team on New Film! -- 102 total posts 19 posts
- SHERLOCK’s Benedict Cumberbatch To Play Another Khan In Warner Bros’ JUNGLE BOOK Movie!! -- 108 total posts 19 posts
- Drew McWeeny Drops By For The Latest Episode Of "Fire Talk With Me"! Blu-ray Contest Winner Announced! -- 34 total posts 17 posts
- A Tuesday MiniDocback Brings DOCTOR WHO S8 Promo Images, Moffat's MicroSynopses For S8 Eps, A Look At The New York & Mexican Premieres Of ‘Deep Breath’, And More!! -- 30 total posts 17 posts
- FX Renews THE STRAIN For Season Two!! -- 17 total posts 17 posts