Finale Reshoot!! Another Clue To Why AMC Changed WALKING DEAD Showrunners Again??
Word is original “Walking Dead” showrunner Frank Darabont got the boot midway through season two because AMC didn’t like the first season-two episode he wrote (indeed, most of that episode wound up on the cutting room floor).
Now comes word that a big chunk of third season finale -- script credited to outgoing showrunner Glen Mazzara -- was scrapped and reshot from a new script written (without onscreen credit) by Scott Gimple, who takes over as the series’ showrunner starting with season four.
The reshot scenes were those that focused on the locked room containing tied-up Andrea and the mortally-wounded Milton.
Dallas Roberts, who played Milton, compared and contrasted the Mazzara and Girmple versions of the script for Entertainment Weekly:
Originally, the beating scene that started the episode wasn’t there. Originally, I showed up and was led into the room where Andrea was and I took the tools out – the instruments of torture that were laid on the table — and then he shot me in the stomach, completely unexpectedly. And then I was left to bleed out in the same idea basically — you’re going to kill her now. There was a lot more of Milton trying to open the door and him trying to free her from the chains. And then there was a section where he was going to wrap the chain around the neck and try to choke her to death before he turned so she wouldn’t have to deal with Walker Milton, or Biter Milton, as it were.
And then at the end of that, it was just Tyreese and someone else who found her. Rick and Daryl and Michonne weren’t there. So it was essentially the same idea, except you saw me taking chunks out of Laurie Holden in that version. And then they called us back a few months later to reshoot it and made all those changes. So now you’re not sure if I’ve gotten her until after that door opens, and I think that’s probably why they did it.
While in the broadcast version Milton permanently lost his trademark eyeglasses during The Governor’s opening-scene enhanced interrogation, the publicity stills showing a bespectacled zombie Milton are actually from the discarded Mazzara version.
Gimple, hired by Darabont at the start of season two, wrote two of this year’s most acclaimed episodes: “Clear,” featuring the three-years-later return of Lennie James as Morgan Jones; and “This Sorrowful Life,” depicting the final exit of Michael Rooker’s Merle Dixon.
Find all of EW’s debrief of Roberts here.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 298 total posts 162 posts
- A New Poster Of Angelina Jolie As MALEFICENT!! -- 70 total posts 70 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 145 total posts 67 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 279 total posts 64 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 65 total posts 27 posts
- New BATES, BONES, BEAST, BRAIN, BEING, BELIEVE, BITTEN!! BACHELOR & BEAST Finales!! MOTHER, MOLLY, MORTY, MAYNE, KILL, VOICE, DALLAS, SWITCHED, FOSTERS, ROADSHOW, INTELLIGENCE, STARCROSSED, FOLLOWING, WOLF, RAW, & LOST GIRL!! The Return Of THE PEOPLE’S COUCH!! Emily Mortimer On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 19 total posts 19 posts
- Papa Vinyard's Oscar Sunday: MANHATTAN MELODRAMA (1934) -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- 'We Mustn’t Disappoint Father!!' Check Out The Size Of Dany’s Dragons In The Latest Trailer For GAME OF THRONES Season Four!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 316 total posts 15 posts
- Quint thinks Nick Stoller's NEIGHBORS is heartfelt, hysterical and all kinds of messed up! SXSW 2014! -- 10 total posts 10 posts