DreamWorks Is Taking On The Church Sex Abuse Cover-Up!!
The Kidd here...
This is going to be a tough one for DreamWorks Pictures to pull off, but the studio and Participant Media have secured the rights to the Boston Globe's investigation of the Catholic Church, which pulled back the curtain on the priest sex abuse they had been covering up.
The Hollywood Reporter reports that Tom McCarthy (WIN WIN and THE VISITOR) is lined up to direct and co-write along with Josh Singer (THE FIFTH ESTATE) after the life rights to the Globe's "Spotlight Team" were acquired. The untitled film would center around the paper's reporters and editors who, through interviews and review of a countless number of documents, were able to break the story of the Church's cover-up attempts that had kept the pedophilic abuse under wraps in order to protect the institution and not the victims.
The team won a Pulitzer Prize for its coverage, but, once again, this is a very delicate line to walk for a motion picture. I think there is a compelling story to be told here, but let's remember there really are no heroes in any of this. Yes, the Globe's team brought these atrocities to light, but no film should aim to paint them as the victors in this story, as, even with their reporting, the actions of these priests over decades remain.
I have no doubt they'll treat this subject matter with the utmost respect, but, as a film, it's going to come down to execution as to how it winds up playing.
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Follow me on Twitter.
Like me on Facebook.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 453 total posts 172 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 298 total posts 148 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 324 total posts 78 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 51 total posts 51 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 251 total posts 31 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 213 total posts 23 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 587 total posts 21 posts
- Papa Vinyard Saw THE HATEFUL EIGHT Script Reading Last Night And Here's His Review! -- 17 total posts 17 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 14 total posts 14 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 128 total posts 13 posts