New Characters, New Case And New Creator For FX’s 2014 10-Episode Miniseries FARGO!!
FX has given the greenlight to a 10-episode miniseries called “Fargo,” but it remains to be seen how much it will resemble the Coen Bros.’ 1996 big-screen masterpiece.
While the Coens are producing the mini, due to air early next year, the series is masterminded by Noah Hawley, who in recent years created two horrible ABC shows -- “The Unusuals” and “My Generation.”
Also, FX’s press release indicates that the miniseries will share the movie’s Minnesota setting, but will also “follow a new case and new characters.”
For immediate release
FX ORDERS ITS FIRST LIMITED SERIES
Novelist/Writer Noah Hawley Adapted the Series for Television from the Award-Winning and Acclaimed Feature Film of the Same Title
Noah Hawley, Joel & Ethan Coen and Warren Littlefield to Serve as Executive Producers
FX Productions and MGM Television and to Produce 10 Episodes Production begins This Fall and the Series Is Slated to Premiere in Spring of 2014
NEW YORK, March 28, 2013 – FX has ordered its first limited series, Fargo, from MGM Television. The series is adapted by novelist/writer Noah Hawley from the award-winning film of the same title. Warren Littlefield and Joel & Ethan Coen will serve as Executive Producers on the series, it was announced today by John Landgraf, President and General Manager, FX Networks.
FX’s Fargo, a 10-episode limited series inspired by the film, will follow an all-new “true crime” story. The series will follow a new case and new characters, all entrenched in the trademark humor, murder and “Minnesota nice” that has made the film an enduring classic.
“For years, people have tried to adapt this Academy Award®-winning gem into a TV series with no success,” said Landgraf. “I have always loved Fargo and I was skeptical about this as a series, but Noah Hawley’s script made me a believer. This script is so good and so true to the tone of the original movie.”
“MGM Television is thrilled to be producing a fresh and exciting re-envisioning of Fargo for FX’s television audience. With the stellar creative team lead by Noah Hawley, Joel & Ethan Coen and Warren Littlefield, we are re-imagining one of the most iconic titles from MGM’s rich film library,” said Roma Khanna, President Television and Digital, MGM. “FX is the perfect partner for the series and we look forward to working with them on our shared vision of captivating audiences within the unique world of Fargo.”
Written by Noah Hawley (The Unusuals, My Generation) and executive produced by Hawley, Joel & Ethan Coen (True Grit, A Serious Man, No Country for Old Men) and Warren Littlefield (The Unusuals), Fargo is produced by MGM Television and FX Productions. MGM Television will be the lead studio and will handle worldwide distribution of the series outside of the U.S. and Canada.
Fargo, released in 1996, was nominated for seven Academy Awards® and won for Best Original Screenplay for Joel & Ethan Coen and Best Actress for Frances McDormand. It was named as one of the 100 Greatest American Movies by the American Film Institute. A wildly unique blend of comedy, drama and thriller, the film starred Frances McDormand as a pregnant Minnesota police chief pursuing two bumbling criminals hired by a car salesman to kidnap his wife.
Last year, FX announced that it would be producing miniseries and limited series through FX Productions. The network has had tremendous success with traditional drama series, with most of its dramas running seven seasons. By entering the limited series business, FX can produce dramatic programs that have shorter runs – one, two or three seasons – and offer talented filmmakers more freedom.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 179 total posts 24 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 128 total posts 14 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 83 total posts 5 posts
- Here’s BBC’s Synopsis Of DOCTOR WHO S08E03: “Robots of Sherwood’ !! -- 61 total posts 5 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 105 total posts 3 posts
- Co-Director Anthony Russo Is Teasing, What, Exactly, Regarding CAPTAIN AMERICA 3?? -- 200 total posts 3 posts
2012-2014 -- 32 total posts 2 posts
- Our first look at the main character from Pixar's INSIDE OUT! -- 102 total posts 1 post
- Just How Conjoined Is Sarah Paulson In AHS FREAK SHOW?? See For Yourself!! -- 44 total posts 1 post
- Martin Scorsese May Make A Film About One Of America's Greatest Bands! Gabba Gabba Hey! -- 218 total posts 1 post