New Characters, New Case And New Creator For FX’s 2014 10-Episode Miniseries FARGO!!
FX has given the greenlight to a 10-episode miniseries called “Fargo,” but it remains to be seen how much it will resemble the Coen Bros.’ 1996 big-screen masterpiece.
While the Coens are producing the mini, due to air early next year, the series is masterminded by Noah Hawley, who in recent years created two horrible ABC shows -- “The Unusuals” and “My Generation.”
Also, FX’s press release indicates that the miniseries will share the movie’s Minnesota setting, but will also “follow a new case and new characters.”
For immediate release
FX ORDERS ITS FIRST LIMITED SERIES
Novelist/Writer Noah Hawley Adapted the Series for Television from the Award-Winning and Acclaimed Feature Film of the Same Title
Noah Hawley, Joel & Ethan Coen and Warren Littlefield to Serve as Executive Producers
FX Productions and MGM Television and to Produce 10 Episodes Production begins This Fall and the Series Is Slated to Premiere in Spring of 2014
NEW YORK, March 28, 2013 – FX has ordered its first limited series, Fargo, from MGM Television. The series is adapted by novelist/writer Noah Hawley from the award-winning film of the same title. Warren Littlefield and Joel & Ethan Coen will serve as Executive Producers on the series, it was announced today by John Landgraf, President and General Manager, FX Networks.
FX’s Fargo, a 10-episode limited series inspired by the film, will follow an all-new “true crime” story. The series will follow a new case and new characters, all entrenched in the trademark humor, murder and “Minnesota nice” that has made the film an enduring classic.
“For years, people have tried to adapt this Academy Award®-winning gem into a TV series with no success,” said Landgraf. “I have always loved Fargo and I was skeptical about this as a series, but Noah Hawley’s script made me a believer. This script is so good and so true to the tone of the original movie.”
“MGM Television is thrilled to be producing a fresh and exciting re-envisioning of Fargo for FX’s television audience. With the stellar creative team lead by Noah Hawley, Joel & Ethan Coen and Warren Littlefield, we are re-imagining one of the most iconic titles from MGM’s rich film library,” said Roma Khanna, President Television and Digital, MGM. “FX is the perfect partner for the series and we look forward to working with them on our shared vision of captivating audiences within the unique world of Fargo.”
Written by Noah Hawley (The Unusuals, My Generation) and executive produced by Hawley, Joel & Ethan Coen (True Grit, A Serious Man, No Country for Old Men) and Warren Littlefield (The Unusuals), Fargo is produced by MGM Television and FX Productions. MGM Television will be the lead studio and will handle worldwide distribution of the series outside of the U.S. and Canada.
Fargo, released in 1996, was nominated for seven Academy Awards® and won for Best Original Screenplay for Joel & Ethan Coen and Best Actress for Frances McDormand. It was named as one of the 100 Greatest American Movies by the American Film Institute. A wildly unique blend of comedy, drama and thriller, the film starred Frances McDormand as a pregnant Minnesota police chief pursuing two bumbling criminals hired by a car salesman to kidnap his wife.
Last year, FX announced that it would be producing miniseries and limited series through FX Productions. The network has had tremendous success with traditional drama series, with most of its dramas running seven seasons. By entering the limited series business, FX can produce dramatic programs that have shorter runs – one, two or three seasons – and offer talented filmmakers more freedom.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 59 total posts 59 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 106 total posts 29 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 277 total posts 21 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 512 total posts 15 posts
- Papa Vinyard Saw THE HATEFUL EIGHT Script Reading Last Night And Here's His Review! -- 35 total posts 12 posts
- This Week's Saturday Shorts: Parkour, Compliments, and Getting Pooped on! -- 14 total posts 8 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 219 total posts 5 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 22 total posts 4 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 333 total posts 4 posts
- AICN HORROR looks at PROXY! THE LASHMAN! 13 SINS! CAMP DREAD! ROULETTE! POSEIDON REX! CONFINE! DEATH DO US PART! PSYCHOPHONY: AN EXPERIMENT IN EVIL! MONSTERS TV Series! HOWLS! & WOLF CREEK 2! -- 11 total posts 3 posts