Updated With Correction!! Forest Whitaker Is Resurrecting The Richard Pryor Biopic!!
The Kidd here...
A Richard Pryor biopic has been in development for a long time, 20 years in fact. Plenty of names have come and gone on the project with everyone from Scorsese to Kasi Lemmons to Bill Condon directing, and names like Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Marlon Wayans, Damon Wayans, Eddie Griffin and Mike Epps in the conversation to play the legendary comedian. The Condon-Marlon Wayans pairing was the most recent to give it a go before Condon's commitments to THE TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING DAWN films derailed that.
[Correction: The film was very much alive with Marlon Wayans as Richard Pryor pre-Condon's involvement in TWILIGHT under the Happy Madison shingle at Sony, but an unresolvable dispute between producer Chris Rock and Jennifer Pryor stemming from a Michael Vick-pitbull joke that Rock dropped on THE TONIGHT SHOW that offended Pryor's animal rescue sensibilities ultimately collapsed the project. Condon would eventually move on to do something else, which would wind up being TWILIGHT, and the film sat in limbo, nearly getting off the ground one more time with Condon directing from his script, but it just wasn't to be.]
However, it appears a new face has once again picked up the torch to try getting a Pryor film made. According to Deadline, it's Forest Whitaker's time to run with the project, as he is partnering up with Jennifer Pryor, Richard's widow, to try resurrecting a proposed film once again. Whitaker and Pryor will produce, alongside Significant Productions’ Nina Yang-Bongiovi, with Forest attempting to get a new script going.
Many others have tried before and failed, so we'll see if Whitaker can get this any higher off the ground than his predecessors. One thing is for sure... the names that used to be in line to play Pryor aren't going to work anymore due to age, so they're going to have to find someone else to fill those big shoes.
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Follow me on Twitter.
Like me on Facebook.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone loved the pure joy of discovering the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY!!! -- 411 total posts 410 posts
- Trailer for MUDBLOODS - Documentary About Real Life Muggle Quidditch Players! -- 247 total posts 151 posts
- International BIRDMAN Trailer Is Here!!! -- 178 total posts 50 posts
- Copernicus explores The Science of Star Wars! -- 40 total posts 40 posts
- Will Ferrell to play Russ Meyer in RUSS & ROGER GO BEYOND! -- 37 total posts 37 posts
- Alex Kurtzman (as in Kurtzman and Orci) to direct the MUMMY reboot...yay?!! -- 298 total posts 36 posts
- New Trailer For Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR Is Here! Let's Light This Candle! -- 461 total posts 32 posts
- EXCLUSIVE: Who's the voice of that stunning stinger character after the credits of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY? -- 25 total posts 25 posts
- Jeremy Talks GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, ANT-MAN And Comic Con With Kevin Feige! -- 310 total posts 23 posts
- Disney Taking The Ol' Bait-And-Switch Route With Teaser For INTO THE WOODS! -- 118 total posts 22 posts