Updated With Correction!! Forest Whitaker Is Resurrecting The Richard Pryor Biopic!!
The Kidd here...
A Richard Pryor biopic has been in development for a long time, 20 years in fact. Plenty of names have come and gone on the project with everyone from Scorsese to Kasi Lemmons to Bill Condon directing, and names like Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Marlon Wayans, Damon Wayans, Eddie Griffin and Mike Epps in the conversation to play the legendary comedian. The Condon-Marlon Wayans pairing was the most recent to give it a go before Condon's commitments to THE TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING DAWN films derailed that.
[Correction: The film was very much alive with Marlon Wayans as Richard Pryor pre-Condon's involvement in TWILIGHT under the Happy Madison shingle at Sony, but an unresolvable dispute between producer Chris Rock and Jennifer Pryor stemming from a Michael Vick-pitbull joke that Rock dropped on THE TONIGHT SHOW that offended Pryor's animal rescue sensibilities ultimately collapsed the project. Condon would eventually move on to do something else, which would wind up being TWILIGHT, and the film sat in limbo, nearly getting off the ground one more time with Condon directing from his script, but it just wasn't to be.]
However, it appears a new face has once again picked up the torch to try getting a Pryor film made. According to Deadline, it's Forest Whitaker's time to run with the project, as he is partnering up with Jennifer Pryor, Richard's widow, to try resurrecting a proposed film once again. Whitaker and Pryor will produce, alongside Significant Productions’ Nina Yang-Bongiovi, with Forest attempting to get a new script going.
Many others have tried before and failed, so we'll see if Whitaker can get this any higher off the ground than his predecessors. One thing is for sure... the names that used to be in line to play Pryor aren't going to work anymore due to age, so they're going to have to find someone else to fill those big shoes.
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Follow me on Twitter.
Like me on Facebook.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 296 total posts 146 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 300 total posts 19 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 575 total posts 9 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 225 total posts 5 posts
- MTV Movie Awards drops an opening scene from X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST! And it rocks! -- 317 total posts 4 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 194 total posts 4 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 249 total posts 3 posts
- This Week's Saturday Shorts: Parkour, Compliments, and Getting Pooped on! -- 2 total posts 2 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 195 total posts 2 posts
- Stallone Talks EXPENDABLES Casting Approach!! Nicholson!?!? -- 288 total posts 2 posts