John Ary's Video Review Of G.I. JOE: RETALIATION!!
John Ary here with one hopeless toy collector's opinion of an action movie based on a 3.75-inch toyline.
I make no apologies for kind of liking G.I.Joe: The Rise of Cobra. It was a big dumb sci-fi adventure that played on my nostalgia for the Sunbow cartoon. It's a movie that I can't rationally defend for liking.
G.I. Joe: Retaliation is a slightly less dumb action movie that played on my nostalgia for Larry Hama's Marvel comic. This one I can only half-heartidly defend. The action is okay, with ninjas slinging themselves across mountain peaks, high-tech doodads killing people in semi-interesting ways, a fun jail break, James Carville giving speeches, and popular Joe characters engaging each other in one-on-one combat. Sounds cool, right?
Unfortunately, it always felt like the action was preparing to amp up for something bigger, something more epic, but the big giant climax never came. Characters die, stuff explodes and the disjointed story just keeps moving on. Director Jon Chu respects the source material, but the shoehorning in of extra Channing Tatum scenes and dialing back of the epic set pieces like Rise's Pit or Destro's Arctic base feels like studio meddling. Here's my immediate reaction after seeing the flick...
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First Trailer for EDGE OF TOMORROW, Starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt! -- 317 total posts 61 posts
- I'd watch Simon Pegg and Monty Python in ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING! -- 84 total posts 38 posts
- Is Jason Clarke Our New John Connor? -- 231 total posts 38 posts
- THE PURGE 2 to be headed up by Frank Grillo! -- 54 total posts 26 posts
- Our First Sense Of Uni's FAST AND THE FURIOUS 7 Strategy?? -- 148 total posts 22 posts
- A Poster For The Badass Looking GODZILLA!! -- 166 total posts 19 posts
- Peter Jackson Says Hobbitses Stalled His TINTIN Sequel - But... -- 18 total posts 18 posts
- Samuel L. Jackson in Talks for David Yates' TARZAN! -- 112 total posts 17 posts