John Ary's Video Review Of G.I. JOE: RETALIATION!!
John Ary here with one hopeless toy collector's opinion of an action movie based on a 3.75-inch toyline.
I make no apologies for kind of liking G.I.Joe: The Rise of Cobra. It was a big dumb sci-fi adventure that played on my nostalgia for the Sunbow cartoon. It's a movie that I can't rationally defend for liking.
G.I. Joe: Retaliation is a slightly less dumb action movie that played on my nostalgia for Larry Hama's Marvel comic. This one I can only half-heartidly defend. The action is okay, with ninjas slinging themselves across mountain peaks, high-tech doodads killing people in semi-interesting ways, a fun jail break, James Carville giving speeches, and popular Joe characters engaging each other in one-on-one combat. Sounds cool, right?
Unfortunately, it always felt like the action was preparing to amp up for something bigger, something more epic, but the big giant climax never came. Characters die, stuff explodes and the disjointed story just keeps moving on. Director Jon Chu respects the source material, but the shoehorning in of extra Channing Tatum scenes and dialing back of the epic set pieces like Rise's Pit or Destro's Arctic base feels like studio meddling. Here's my immediate reaction after seeing the flick...
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 102 total posts 25 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 19 total posts 19 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 507 total posts 10 posts
- This Week's Saturday Shorts: Parkour, Compliments, and Getting Pooped on! -- 13 total posts 7 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 263 total posts 7 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 219 total posts 5 posts
- Papa Vinyard Saw THE HATEFUL EIGHT Script Reading Last Night And Here's His Review! -- 26 total posts 3 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 21 total posts 3 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 332 total posts 3 posts
- AICN HORROR looks at PROXY! THE LASHMAN! 13 SINS! CAMP DREAD! ROULETTE! POSEIDON REX! CONFINE! DEATH DO US PART! PSYCHOPHONY: AN EXPERIMENT IN EVIL! MONSTERS TV Series! HOWLS! & WOLF CREEK 2! -- 10 total posts 2 posts