This Week's SATURDAY SHORTS: A Feast Of Genre Goodness.
Hello ladies and gentlemen, your pal Muldoon here with this week's roundup of kickass shorts. This week we're hopping around a bit. Like a coked out rabbit, we're jumping from one crazy puff of fun right on to the next with these five shorts from all different genres (and all over the world), each with a distinct flavor that'll shock your system and immediately cleanse your palate. At any rate, you're in for a good time, so let's skip the jibber jabber and bounce right in - let's watch some cool stuff.
Go grab yourself some popcorn, lock your kids in a closet, kill the lights, relax and check out this little weekly film fest we've got ourselves here:
LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMOND
Let's kick this part off right with a healthy serving of Lou Diamond Phillips. From SATURDAY SHORTS alum, Mr. Joey Boukadakis (Check out DINNER WITH RAPHAEL) we have ten solid minutes of hawkwardness with a freaky knife weilding oddity of a fun character and some solid acting from John Patrick Jordan and Brian Thomas Smith. Like the short? Then go hit up Joey's site for more!
And gear shift time: Here we have a completely intriguing and well done bit of horror. It's got a distinct stop motion style, but... No... even that's too much of a label. This thing's incredible. It's grotesquely beautiful. Written & Directed by Nick Peterson, and produced by Jon Heder (Napoleon Dynamite) here's a twisted tale of "how a man's addictions can destroy the woman he loves." Be sure to hit up Nick's website if you like what you see, I sure as hell do. Keep 'em coming, Nick!
(Drama, Comedy, Sci-Fi)
From our Icelandic pal Logi Hilmarsson comes this bit of quality filmmaking. "Gravity is a Comically Tragic short film that playfully deals with the concept of "reality tunnels". On the surface it is about Friendship, Love, Space Aliens, Cocaine, and Handicap... Not necessarily in that order."
THE PEA MASTER
"The Pea Master is the world's greatest peashooter. He hits the big time when one of his trick shots goes viral and a documentary crew follow him to find out more about this unique skill. We explore the origin of his gift, the highs, the lows and what it means to have found the one thing that defines you in life." Here's a solid little flick from Andrew Milner that made me chuckle quite a bit (manly, manly chuckes though). It's good times, chech it out.
"Muldoon, this week's selection has been top notch. How can you possibly end it so quickly? What film are you going to leave me with?" Easy, superheroes - bam! Seriously, here's our last short of the week, a fun bit of superher-ness that's clearly been made through passion and determination. From Oliver Jones we have a SIN CITY vibed bit of crime fighting with a flare of old school Adam West BATMAN, minus the camp (yeah - you heard that right, chew on what that could possibly mean). The short was funded through Indiegogo, with a tiny big of the films budget supposedely coming from a Mr. Kevin Smith, which if you've never heard of him - he's the dude who plays the forensic assistant in DAREDEVIL or the voice of the diner cook in TMNT. At any rate - watch the film and just have fun.
And that's it guys and gals. I'll see you fine folks next week. But be sure to hit up past SATURDAY SHORTS if you're in a special kind of short watching mood:
If you have a short and think it belongs here or are on the fence about whether to send it in, please do send it in - I'd love to see what you've put together. I've already seen hundreds of fresh new filmmakers' shorts and like any good addict, I need more!
Shoot me an email at "Mike@aintitcool.com"
In the subject line include:
“SHORTS” + “Your film’s name” + “The film’s genre”
Then, in the body of the email, please include a synopsis of the film and any contact information you might think I need or would want published. The more info you send my way, the more info there is to put with your short.
Please don’t feel the need to submit multiple times.
Remember, the filmmakers might still be in the audience, so feel free to share your thoughts in Talkbacks below. (JUST DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE). I picked them, so you know I think highly of all of these, but how about you fine folks? How'd you like 'em?
- Mike McCutchen
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS, OUT OF THE FURNACE, FROZEN, NEBRASKA And The Latest WALKING DEAD And RETURNED, The First Big-Screen Wonder Woman and More!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 459 total posts 312 posts
- The Annual Official Fake BUTT-NUMB-A-THON 15 List!!! Plus other things like STANDBY news! -- 129 total posts 15 posts
- Disney can now make new Indiana Jones Movies!!! But what about Paramount? -- 380 total posts 11 posts
- Jerry Bruckheimer has returned to Paramount and Brett Ratner's BEVERLY HILLS COP IV is now on the way (again)! -- 183 total posts 7 posts
- SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES Writers Developing New TERMINATOR TV Series!! -- 84 total posts 6 posts
- Big SPOILERS for X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and APOCALYPSE as new rumors suggest a familiar face will be playing the role of APOCALYPSE!! -- 357 total posts 6 posts
- Lars Von Trier's NYMPHOMANIAC Gets Two Release Dates! -- 57 total posts 5 posts
- Two More NYMPHOMANIAC Posters... -- 83 total posts 2 posts
- Capone feels burned by the out-of-control acting in OUT OF THE FURNACE!!! -- 61 total posts 2 posts
- Trailer for REASONABLE DOUBT, Starring Dominic Cooper and Samuel L. Jackson! -- 33 total posts 2 posts