This Week's SATURDAY SHORTS: A Feast Of Genre Goodness.
Hello ladies and gentlemen, your pal Muldoon here with this week's roundup of kickass shorts. This week we're hopping around a bit. Like a coked out rabbit, we're jumping from one crazy puff of fun right on to the next with these five shorts from all different genres (and all over the world), each with a distinct flavor that'll shock your system and immediately cleanse your palate. At any rate, you're in for a good time, so let's skip the jibber jabber and bounce right in - let's watch some cool stuff.
Go grab yourself some popcorn, lock your kids in a closet, kill the lights, relax and check out this little weekly film fest we've got ourselves here:
LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMOND
Let's kick this part off right with a healthy serving of Lou Diamond Phillips. From SATURDAY SHORTS alum, Mr. Joey Boukadakis (Check out DINNER WITH RAPHAEL) we have ten solid minutes of hawkwardness with a freaky knife weilding oddity of a fun character and some solid acting from John Patrick Jordan and Brian Thomas Smith. Like the short? Then go hit up Joey's site for more!
And gear shift time: Here we have a completely intriguing and well done bit of horror. It's got a distinct stop motion style, but... No... even that's too much of a label. This thing's incredible. It's grotesquely beautiful. Written & Directed by Nick Peterson, and produced by Jon Heder (Napoleon Dynamite) here's a twisted tale of "how a man's addictions can destroy the woman he loves." Be sure to hit up Nick's website if you like what you see, I sure as hell do. Keep 'em coming, Nick!
(Drama, Comedy, Sci-Fi)
From our Icelandic pal Logi Hilmarsson comes this bit of quality filmmaking. "Gravity is a Comically Tragic short film that playfully deals with the concept of "reality tunnels". On the surface it is about Friendship, Love, Space Aliens, Cocaine, and Handicap... Not necessarily in that order."
THE PEA MASTER
"The Pea Master is the world's greatest peashooter. He hits the big time when one of his trick shots goes viral and a documentary crew follow him to find out more about this unique skill. We explore the origin of his gift, the highs, the lows and what it means to have found the one thing that defines you in life." Here's a solid little flick from Andrew Milner that made me chuckle quite a bit (manly, manly chuckes though). It's good times, chech it out.
"Muldoon, this week's selection has been top notch. How can you possibly end it so quickly? What film are you going to leave me with?" Easy, superheroes - bam! Seriously, here's our last short of the week, a fun bit of superher-ness that's clearly been made through passion and determination. From Oliver Jones we have a SIN CITY vibed bit of crime fighting with a flare of old school Adam West BATMAN, minus the camp (yeah - you heard that right, chew on what that could possibly mean). The short was funded through Indiegogo, with a tiny big of the films budget supposedely coming from a Mr. Kevin Smith, which if you've never heard of him - he's the dude who plays the forensic assistant in DAREDEVIL or the voice of the diner cook in TMNT. At any rate - watch the film and just have fun.
And that's it guys and gals. I'll see you fine folks next week. But be sure to hit up past SATURDAY SHORTS if you're in a special kind of short watching mood:
If you have a short and think it belongs here or are on the fence about whether to send it in, please do send it in - I'd love to see what you've put together. I've already seen hundreds of fresh new filmmakers' shorts and like any good addict, I need more!
Shoot me an email at "Mike@aintitcool.com"
In the subject line include:
“SHORTS” + “Your film’s name” + “The film’s genre”
Then, in the body of the email, please include a synopsis of the film and any contact information you might think I need or would want published. The more info you send my way, the more info there is to put with your short.
Please don’t feel the need to submit multiple times.
Remember, the filmmakers might still be in the audience, so feel free to share your thoughts in Talkbacks below. (JUST DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE). I picked them, so you know I think highly of all of these, but how about you fine folks? How'd you like 'em?
- Mike McCutchen
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 147 total posts 17 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 40 total posts 11 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 19 total posts 11 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 78 total posts 10 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 111 total posts 10 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 17 total posts 8 posts
- Director Colin Trevorrow Talks The Bigger Picture Of JURASSIC WORLD!! -- 71 total posts 7 posts
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 398 total posts 6 posts
- "Where do you stand on Michael Buble?" "His windpipe?" Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon have more celebrity impressions up their sleeves in THE TRIP TO ITALY trailer! -- 28 total posts 6 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 343 total posts 6 posts