JJ Abrams talks STAR WARS EPISODE VII with EMPIRE!
Hey folks, Harry here - I've just returned from JURASSIC PARK 3D, more on that soon, but I got home and lickety split discovered that JJ has opened up a bit about STAR WARS EPISODE VII - and as we start barrelling towards the release of STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS... it's going to get a little crazy. Now, JJ doesn't reveal anything in the article, but for the first time we're getting a sense of his excitement. When talking about the universes of STAR TREK & STAR WARS - the key thing that he told EMPIRE that really confirms my belief in JJ is this: "The movies, the worlds could not be more different but that feeling that there’s something amazing here is the thing that they share."
A lot of folks criticized JJ's STAR TREK for borrowing a bit too much from the STAR WARS universe - but frankly if you had watched the STAR TREK Animated Series or read the Star Trek novels... you'd know that JJ, noted STAR WARS fan, was simply making STAR TREK more cinematic - which in Science Fiction / Fantasy terms kinda is gonna take you in STAR WARS' direction - BUT - his STAR TREK was still very definitely STAR TREK.
STAR WARS is a fantasy first and foremost - and it doesn't require the adherence to physics and logic the way STAR TREK tends to want to. That JJ understands this, well, it's the number one reason why I think he's perfect for the project. He gets it. That might not be fully evident in the EMPIRE piece which is the beginning of a very long run of articles where JJ will do his best to avoid specifics. I think the most important thing is JJ cops to the fact that Spielberg knows everything that is going on with STAR WARS - so... obviously we need to strap Steven down, administer the right drugs and we'll know everything. SO... Who's gonna get the Beard to talk?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Superman & Lois Lane get wet together!!! BATMAN VS SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE!!! -- 205 total posts 140 posts
- Capone examines how THE NOVEMBER MAN takes the weakest James Bond and makes him a killer spy!!! -- 62 total posts 62 posts
- Ridley Scott Says The BLADE RUNNER Sequel Is Written And It’s… -- 408 total posts 52 posts
- Mike Epps Is Lee Daniels's Richard Pryor! -- 97 total posts 36 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 261 total posts 32 posts
- Fox To Remake LAURA With A Screenplay By James Ellroy! -- 40 total posts 19 posts
- Copernicus interviews Andy Weir, author of THE MARTIAN -- Ridley Scott's next film! -- 17 total posts 17 posts
- Lionsgate to bring us Arnold Schwarzenegger vs. zombies in MAGGIE come early 2015! -- 199 total posts 16 posts
- A Trailer And Poster For THE PYRAMID, Produced By Alexandre Aja!! -- 78 total posts 8 posts
- A Newish Spot For David Fincher’s GONE GIRL Is Now Online!! -- 56 total posts 6 posts