Ryan Reynolds honestly discusses the failure of Green Lantern when asked about his possible involvement in the Justice League film.
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. I love reading interviews where the interviewee throws out all sense of responsible career management and isn't afraid to tell the truth. It's one of the reasons I can't shit on Shia LaBeouf like so many talkbackers do. That dude spit in Spielberg's eye by being honest about his opinion of how Indy 4 turned out and that guy handed Shia his A-list status on a silver platter.
Ryan Reynolds recently did Empire's Podcast and had a little bit of that honesty I like so much in that chat, especially towards the bizarre and semi-insane attempt at a Green Lantern movie. When asked if he's been asked to be in the new Justice League film his response was:
Not yet. I don't know. If you're gonna do comic book movies in that vein, you really have to get them right. I believe that Joss Whedon is the guy that just nails it and Christopher Nolan obviously nails it. So if they were gonna do it like that, it would be an interesting thing to do. It's just that... working on Green Lantern, I saw how difficult it is make that concept palatable, and how confused it all can be when you don't really know exactly where you're going with it or you don't really know how to access that world properly - that world comic book fans have been accessing for decades and falling in love with. So at this point I have very little interest in joining that kind of world. But, you know, a great script and a good director can always turn that around.
It's not quite the Shia "Yeah, we messed up Indy 4" blunt, but he's basically saying they had no idea how to tap into that story and didn't know which end was up throughout production.
He was also asked about Deadpool and talked about the Deadpool one-off script by Rhett Rheese and Paul Wernick that he thinks is great, but doubts a studio will ever make.
I love Deadpool and there is a script that's in development. But it's so, so far into the R-rated zone... it's a nearly NC-17 world and I just don't know if the studio would ever risk their reputation doing it. We've been developing it and we would never wanna do it unless you could it that R-rated way, so...
You can read that full transcript here and I highly suggest you do. It's a great conversation.
What does this mean for Justice League? I get the feeling that WB doesn't know what kind of continuity they want, especially with the rumors of Bale returning as Batman. I don't think Reynolds was bad as Hal Jordan, but if I were a betting man I'd say WB will want to reinvent every non-Superman/Batman character in the film.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- A New And Nice Clip From Darren Aronofsky’s NOAH!! + Emma Watson Introduces A New Trailer!! -- 75 total posts 75 posts
- ‘You Are Of SHIELD??’ THOR’s Hot Pal Sif Joins AGENTS!! The Premiere Of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN!! Plus New NEW GIRL, BOY, BROOKLYN, BACHELOR, BAD GIRLS, MIND GAMES, TROPHY, TOSH, ORIGINALS, GOLDBERGS, GLEE, RIZZOLI, PERCEPTION, KROLL, LIARS, COUGAR, FISHER, FIRE, CONTAINER, TEEN MOM, CAPONES & VOICE!! KING Finale!! Syfy’s MY BIG FAT GEEK WEDDING!! Lauren Cohan & Jeff Goldblum on CRAIG!! Rachel Maddow On SETH!! Ronald D. Moore On LAST CALL!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 72 total posts 72 posts
- Li Bingbing Looks Mighty Stern In Her TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION Character Poster!! -- 67 total posts 67 posts
- Herc Is Underwhelmed By Cuaron’s Bad Robot Pilot BELIEVE!! -- 58 total posts 36 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 327 total posts 33 posts
- A New Poster Of Angelina Jolie As MALEFICENT!! -- 152 total posts 32 posts
- Jon Favreau Still Contemplating A Trip To The MAGIC KINGDOM! -- 58 total posts 32 posts
- New Clip from CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER! -- 28 total posts 28 posts
- See The Flash's Full Costume For The New CW Show!! -- 22 total posts 22 posts
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 341 total posts 22 posts