Writes The Hollywood Reporter’s Kim Masters:
NBC Entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt and his late night and alternative chief Paul Telegdy are said to be actively looking for a Fallon replacement at 12:35 a.m. One possibility is another Michaels protege, Seth Meyers of Saturday Night Live.
Telegdy oversees “America’s Got Talent,” which would explain why he’s interested in AGT judge Howard Stern possibly take over NBC’s “Late Night” once Jimmy Fallon takes over “The Tonight Show” sometime next year. But Stern has been poo-pooing the idea, half-joking on his Sirius XM radio show that NBC should be offering Stern “Tonight.”
It makes sense that Lorne Michaels, who will soon be producing “Saturday Night Live,” “Late Night” and “The Tonight Show,” would want a protégé like Meyer in the “Late Night” seat.
Meyers is probably an ever better choice than Stern. He whips off jokes with aplomb at the Weekend Update desk, and he’s been head writer at SNL since 2005.
And Michaels, whom I’ve long been calling the true king of late night, has a lot of clout at NBC. 11:30 p.m. repeats of “Saturday Night Live” routinely double the adults 18-49 audience of new episodes of “The Tonight Show With Jay Leno” (and “The Late Show With David Letterman” and “Jimmy Kimmel Live” and "The Daily Show" and "Conan").
In adults 18-49 new episodes of SNL have been beating everything on NBC – primetime or latenight – since the beginning of the year. (Though that’s likely to change on Monday when “The Voice” returns.)
If Michaels decides he wants “Late Night With Seth Meyers,” I’m guessing NBC will give it to him.
Find The Hollywood Reporter’s story on the matter here.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 382 total posts 16 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 203 total posts 12 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 21 total posts 4 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 627 total posts 4 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 303 total posts 4 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 312 total posts 3 posts
- Two More BIG BROTHER Nominations!! The Return Of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN!! MI6 On PBS!! FALLING SKIES Finale!! New MANHATTAN, MASTERS, NAKED, RAY, RECKLESS, BEACHFRONT, BREATHLESS, KARDASHIANS, WIPEOUT!! No STRAIN This Week!! No LEFTOVERS Finale Either!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 23 total posts 2 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 349 total posts 2 posts
- Don't count Andy Serkis' JUNGLE BOOK out just yet! He's scored Batman, Galadriel, Moneypenny, and Smaug for his cast! -- 97 total posts 2 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 1 total post 1 post