Writes The Hollywood Reporter’s Kim Masters:
NBC Entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt and his late night and alternative chief Paul Telegdy are said to be actively looking for a Fallon replacement at 12:35 a.m. One possibility is another Michaels protege, Seth Meyers of Saturday Night Live.
Telegdy oversees “America’s Got Talent,” which would explain why he’s interested in AGT judge Howard Stern possibly take over NBC’s “Late Night” once Jimmy Fallon takes over “The Tonight Show” sometime next year. But Stern has been poo-pooing the idea, half-joking on his Sirius XM radio show that NBC should be offering Stern “Tonight.”
It makes sense that Lorne Michaels, who will soon be producing “Saturday Night Live,” “Late Night” and “The Tonight Show,” would want a protégé like Meyer in the “Late Night” seat.
Meyers is probably an ever better choice than Stern. He whips off jokes with aplomb at the Weekend Update desk, and he’s been head writer at SNL since 2005.
And Michaels, whom I’ve long been calling the true king of late night, has a lot of clout at NBC. 11:30 p.m. repeats of “Saturday Night Live” routinely double the adults 18-49 audience of new episodes of “The Tonight Show With Jay Leno” (and “The Late Show With David Letterman” and “Jimmy Kimmel Live” and "The Daily Show" and "Conan").
In adults 18-49 new episodes of SNL have been beating everything on NBC – primetime or latenight – since the beginning of the year. (Though that’s likely to change on Monday when “The Voice” returns.)
If Michaels decides he wants “Late Night With Seth Meyers,” I’m guessing NBC will give it to him.
Find The Hollywood Reporter’s story on the matter here.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 61 total posts 29 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 367 total posts 27 posts
- Check Out This Trailer for British Sci-Fi Film THE ANOMALY! -- 19 total posts 19 posts
- Nordling Reviews TRANSCENDENCE! -- 164 total posts 16 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 12 total posts 12 posts
- New Images from Richard Linklater's BOYHOOD! -- 15 total posts 9 posts
- SINISTER 2 Has Found its Director! -- 27 total posts 6 posts
- The first trailer for Clint Eastwood's JERSEY BOYS is here! -- 82 total posts 6 posts
- Denzel Washington Walks In The Middle Of The Street In THE EQUALIZER Teaser Poster! -- 98 total posts 5 posts
- Set photos from the set of STAR WARS EPISODE VII in Abu Dhabi?! What's that big round disc they're rolling around?? -- 272 total posts 5 posts