Writes The Hollywood Reporter’s Kim Masters:
NBC Entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt and his late night and alternative chief Paul Telegdy are said to be actively looking for a Fallon replacement at 12:35 a.m. One possibility is another Michaels protege, Seth Meyers of Saturday Night Live.
Telegdy oversees “America’s Got Talent,” which would explain why he’s interested in AGT judge Howard Stern possibly take over NBC’s “Late Night” once Jimmy Fallon takes over “The Tonight Show” sometime next year. But Stern has been poo-pooing the idea, half-joking on his Sirius XM radio show that NBC should be offering Stern “Tonight.”
It makes sense that Lorne Michaels, who will soon be producing “Saturday Night Live,” “Late Night” and “The Tonight Show,” would want a protégé like Meyer in the “Late Night” seat.
Meyers is probably an ever better choice than Stern. He whips off jokes with aplomb at the Weekend Update desk, and he’s been head writer at SNL since 2005.
And Michaels, whom I’ve long been calling the true king of late night, has a lot of clout at NBC. 11:30 p.m. repeats of “Saturday Night Live” routinely double the adults 18-49 audience of new episodes of “The Tonight Show With Jay Leno” (and “The Late Show With David Letterman” and “Jimmy Kimmel Live” and "The Daily Show" and "Conan").
In adults 18-49 new episodes of SNL have been beating everything on NBC – primetime or latenight – since the beginning of the year. (Though that’s likely to change on Monday when “The Voice” returns.)
If Michaels decides he wants “Late Night With Seth Meyers,” I’m guessing NBC will give it to him.
Find The Hollywood Reporter’s story on the matter here.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 164 total posts 64 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 167 total posts 30 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 112 total posts 21 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 77 total posts 21 posts
- Here’s A Video Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII’s Millennium Falcon, Highlighting One Little Detail… -- 423 total posts 12 posts
- Another New (And Rather Cool) INTERSTELLAR Poster!! -- 203 total posts 8 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 166 total posts 7 posts
- Muldoon Happily Gets Lost in THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 35 total posts 7 posts
- This Poster For INSIDIOUS CHAPTER 3 Is Creepy And Requires Reading!! -- 65 total posts 5 posts
- Quint is surprisingly quite fond of Kevin Smith's TUSK! Fantastic Fest 2014! -- 5 total posts 5 posts