Writes The Hollywood Reporter’s Kim Masters:
NBC Entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt and his late night and alternative chief Paul Telegdy are said to be actively looking for a Fallon replacement at 12:35 a.m. One possibility is another Michaels protege, Seth Meyers of Saturday Night Live.
Telegdy oversees “America’s Got Talent,” which would explain why he’s interested in AGT judge Howard Stern possibly take over NBC’s “Late Night” once Jimmy Fallon takes over “The Tonight Show” sometime next year. But Stern has been poo-pooing the idea, half-joking on his Sirius XM radio show that NBC should be offering Stern “Tonight.”
It makes sense that Lorne Michaels, who will soon be producing “Saturday Night Live,” “Late Night” and “The Tonight Show,” would want a protégé like Meyer in the “Late Night” seat.
Meyers is probably an ever better choice than Stern. He whips off jokes with aplomb at the Weekend Update desk, and he’s been head writer at SNL since 2005.
And Michaels, whom I’ve long been calling the true king of late night, has a lot of clout at NBC. 11:30 p.m. repeats of “Saturday Night Live” routinely double the adults 18-49 audience of new episodes of “The Tonight Show With Jay Leno” (and “The Late Show With David Letterman” and “Jimmy Kimmel Live” and "The Daily Show" and "Conan").
In adults 18-49 new episodes of SNL have been beating everything on NBC – primetime or latenight – since the beginning of the year. (Though that’s likely to change on Monday when “The Voice” returns.)
If Michaels decides he wants “Late Night With Seth Meyers,” I’m guessing NBC will give it to him.
Find The Hollywood Reporter’s story on the matter here.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Spoilery early review of MAN OF STEEL!! -- 63 total posts 31 posts
- Holy Crossover!! Magneto’s Boy Quicksilver To Speed About In Whedon’s AVENGERS 2 And Singer’s X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST?? -- 224 total posts 12 posts
- So where is FAST AND FURIOUS 7 going to take place!?! -- 94 total posts 7 posts
- Green-Band and Red-Band trailers for the new Jason Sudeikis & Jennifer Aniston VACATION ripoff, WE'RE THE MILLERS are here!! -- 96 total posts 4 posts
- Lance Henriksen On HANNIBAL!! Ruffalo On KIMMEL!! New WIPEOUT & ANGER!! The Premieres Of SAVE ME And HAVE TO GO!! AMERICAN BIBLE CHALLENGE And GOING TO HELL Finales!! Herc’s Thursday TV Talkback!! -- 20 total posts 4 posts
- Ron Howard's latest trailer sure is a RUSH!!! -- 33 total posts 4 posts
- Please Don't Scream At The New Trailer For Elijah Wood's MANIAC...You're So Beautiful!! -- 34 total posts 3 posts
- Papa Vinyard thinks that HANGOVER: PART III was a paycheck grab for a buncha people who are already rich!! -- 178 total posts 3 posts
- What is PACIFIC RIM's "Drift Space"? Find out in this Featurette! -- 117 total posts 2 posts
- A review of Refn and Gosling's ONLY GOD FORGIVES, direct from Cannes!! -- 21 total posts 2 posts