Writes The Hollywood Reporter’s Kim Masters:
NBC Entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt and his late night and alternative chief Paul Telegdy are said to be actively looking for a Fallon replacement at 12:35 a.m. One possibility is another Michaels protege, Seth Meyers of Saturday Night Live.
Telegdy oversees “America’s Got Talent,” which would explain why he’s interested in AGT judge Howard Stern possibly take over NBC’s “Late Night” once Jimmy Fallon takes over “The Tonight Show” sometime next year. But Stern has been poo-pooing the idea, half-joking on his Sirius XM radio show that NBC should be offering Stern “Tonight.”
It makes sense that Lorne Michaels, who will soon be producing “Saturday Night Live,” “Late Night” and “The Tonight Show,” would want a protégé like Meyer in the “Late Night” seat.
Meyers is probably an ever better choice than Stern. He whips off jokes with aplomb at the Weekend Update desk, and he’s been head writer at SNL since 2005.
And Michaels, whom I’ve long been calling the true king of late night, has a lot of clout at NBC. 11:30 p.m. repeats of “Saturday Night Live” routinely double the adults 18-49 audience of new episodes of “The Tonight Show With Jay Leno” (and “The Late Show With David Letterman” and “Jimmy Kimmel Live” and "The Daily Show" and "Conan").
In adults 18-49 new episodes of SNL have been beating everything on NBC – primetime or latenight – since the beginning of the year. (Though that’s likely to change on Monday when “The Voice” returns.)
If Michaels decides he wants “Late Night With Seth Meyers,” I’m guessing NBC will give it to him.
Find The Hollywood Reporter’s story on the matter here.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Sony Says Fuck It, Announces Release Dates For THE SINISTER SIX And THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3! -- 258 total posts 258 posts
- From The Wasteland Emerges A MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Teaser Poster! -- 146 total posts 146 posts
- Behold The Blazing New Poster For THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES!! -- 143 total posts 143 posts
- Could These International TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES Posters Win Over A Skeptical 7(ish) Year Old?? -- 135 total posts 135 posts
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay to bring you MANIMAL: THE MOVIE! -- 218 total posts 77 posts
- 4th Week of July 2014 PICKS & PEEKS: Werewolves, BLUE RUIN, Nordic Noir, ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE + more! -- 235 total posts 77 posts
- Idris Elba to play one of Guy Ritchie's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE! -- 397 total posts 71 posts
- Aye! The Next PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN Film Has An Official Release Date!! -- 68 total posts 68 posts
- "I would never order an alcoholic beverage on the bridge..." Trailer for SPACE STATION 76 has its heart firmly in place and its tongue firmly in cheek! -- 106 total posts 57 posts
- Learn Which Movie Star Just Signed On To HBO’s Jonathan Nolan/Bad Robot Pilot WESTWORLD!! -- 46 total posts 46 posts