New EPIC Trailer Is All About Its Star Cast, Less About The Actual Movie!!
The Kidd here...
Just yesterday, I was talking about the practice of animated film's overbilling their voice casts in attempts to draw in fans of their stars to see a movie they might not ordinarily see. "Oh, this has Kevin Spacey in it...? Well, animated flicks aren't my thing, but if I can listen to him..."
I think it's a distraction to hear actors rather than characters in a film of this nature, and, while those distinct voices can sometimes work to a film's benefit - yeah, you can obviously tell Jack Black is Kung Fu Panda, but that character is built into that voice - you can't tell me you sat there during THE INCREDIBLES, able to pick Craig T. Nelson up right off the bat (Samuel L. Jackson, that's a different story).
Then we come to something like the new trailer for EPIC, which completely disregards any semblance of telling me what the film is about in order to starfuck for two minutes and change. See... I would have never known Steven Tyler was in this movie, and from the sound of it, he looks to actually blend into whoever he's playing, but they felt the need to call plenty of attention to it. Am I supposed to take a movie that features a character played by Pitbull seriously? I already never want to touch a Bud Light whenever his music strikes up on those commercials. Let's be clear... this isn't the same as watching Colin Farrell or Amanda Seyfried on-screen, so billing them as if they are is a bit ridiculous.
EPIC has a very weird vibe though, as it feels there are two different movies going on here - one is a serious adventure between good and evil between these strange forest creatures, and the other has a wise-cracking slug. Visually it's impressive, but this thing looks to be a bit all over the place. What do you think?
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Follow me on Twitter.
Like me on Facebook.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Nordling Reviews STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS! Spoilers Abound! You Are Warned! -- 907 total posts 675 posts
- UPDATE The Friday Docback Calls 'The Name of the Doctor'!! DOCTOR WHO's S7 Finale Arrives This Weekend!! Now With Glen's Ultra-Brief, SPOILER FREE MiniReview!! -- 218 total posts 153 posts
- Hey! Fat Face! Here's The New Teaser To ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND CONTINUES! -- 151 total posts 151 posts
- The big screen adaptation of ASSASSIN'S CREED has been given a release date!!! -- 161 total posts 147 posts
- Mr. Beaks Reviews STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS! -- 1169 total posts 110 posts
- Harry gets seriously geeky on the very geeky cool STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS! Can't wait for the next one! & See this again! -- 1453 total posts 106 posts
- Capone reviews STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS and considers the art of messing with canon and why it doesn't bother him!!! -- 490 total posts 98 posts
- AVENGERS 2 might be filming in SOUTH AFRICA, does this mean that Black Panther is going to be a part of the action!?! -- 330 total posts 84 posts
- Harry dives into STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS' spoilers to reveal the truth behind the blockbuster we're seeing! -- 55 total posts 55 posts
- Did you guys like RED 2? Oh it's not out yet, well who cares?? Get ready for RED 3 anyways!!! -- 110 total posts 53 posts