New EPIC Trailer Is All About Its Star Cast, Less About The Actual Movie!!
The Kidd here...
Just yesterday, I was talking about the practice of animated film's overbilling their voice casts in attempts to draw in fans of their stars to see a movie they might not ordinarily see. "Oh, this has Kevin Spacey in it...? Well, animated flicks aren't my thing, but if I can listen to him..."
I think it's a distraction to hear actors rather than characters in a film of this nature, and, while those distinct voices can sometimes work to a film's benefit - yeah, you can obviously tell Jack Black is Kung Fu Panda, but that character is built into that voice - you can't tell me you sat there during THE INCREDIBLES, able to pick Craig T. Nelson up right off the bat (Samuel L. Jackson, that's a different story).
Then we come to something like the new trailer for EPIC, which completely disregards any semblance of telling me what the film is about in order to starfuck for two minutes and change. See... I would have never known Steven Tyler was in this movie, and from the sound of it, he looks to actually blend into whoever he's playing, but they felt the need to call plenty of attention to it. Am I supposed to take a movie that features a character played by Pitbull seriously? I already never want to touch a Bud Light whenever his music strikes up on those commercials. Let's be clear... this isn't the same as watching Colin Farrell or Amanda Seyfried on-screen, so billing them as if they are is a bit ridiculous.
EPIC has a very weird vibe though, as it feels there are two different movies going on here - one is a serious adventure between good and evil between these strange forest creatures, and the other has a wise-cracking slug. Visually it's impressive, but this thing looks to be a bit all over the place. What do you think?
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Follow me on Twitter.
Like me on Facebook.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who has been offered the directing gig on Legendary's SKULL ISLAND!?! -- 171 total posts 147 posts
- THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES Trailer Has Arrived! -- 501 total posts 111 posts
- KILL BILL: THE WHOLE BLOODY AFFAIR to get a limited theatrical release in 2015?! -- 211 total posts 107 posts
- 5th Week of July 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: LYNCH - HERZOG - JAA - ARONOFSKY - KASDAN - WOODSTOCK!!! -- 73 total posts 73 posts
- Harry says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is better than German Chocolate Cake & means it!!! -- 673 total posts 71 posts
- George R.R. Martin Scales Back HBO Activity To Focus On Completing WINDS OF WINTER!! -- 86 total posts 40 posts
- Eva Green in Talks for Tim Burton's MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN! -- 98 total posts 34 posts
- Watch Quickly!! Some Test Footage From Tim Miller And Ryan Reynolds’ DEADPOOL Movie!! -- 173 total posts 28 posts
- Help Robert Meyer Burnett And Mark A. Altman Kickstart A Series Revisitation Of Their Ode To Geekosity, FREE ENTERPRISE!! -- 29 total posts 28 posts
- Stern's TALENT!! New DRUNK, TYRANT, NATHAN, CARTER, GEAR, STORAGE, SHIPPING, LOSS, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR & PAINS!! WIFE SWAP & DEGRASSI Finales!! Chris Pratt & Judy Greer On LETTERMAN!! Maggie Gyllenhaal & Lee Pace On SETH!! Jamie Chung On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 28 total posts 28 posts