Someone Signed, Someone Signed, Someone Signed To Direct Elton John's Biopic Tonight!
When Elton John first announced his self-produced biopic (does that make it an autobiopic?) ROCKETMAN back in 2011, the smart money was on the musician hiring a promising young commercial/music video director to oversee the production. While it'd be nice to see EJ team with an established musical director, unfortunately there just aren't too many of those around, and, even if there were, the notoriously demanding musician would probably want more control than they'd be willing to cede.
Enter Michael Gracey, an up-and-coming stylist with a knack for staging musical numbers as a means of selling potato chips, bottled water and iced tea. If he's the man standing in the way of Adam Shankman's version of ROCKETMAN, then god bless him. He'll be working from a script by BILLY ELLIOT's Lee Hall, but, most importantly, utilizing the Elton John songbook to dramatize the tumultuous story of a prodigiously gifted musician. Elton has never shied away from addressing his personal struggles via song (aided immesurably by the lyrics of Bernie Taupin), so this might not be a complete gloss. And if it is, it'll at least sound great!
The next big step is finding someone to play Elton John. It has been suspected for some time that an offer will go out to Justin Timberlake, who has proven quite adept at playing the young Elton. He's definitely my first choice. Here's hoping they the producers and agents can make it work.
Here's producer Steve Hamilton Shaw's desciption of the film:
It will be as unique as Elton’s life, told in a non-linear and hyper-visual manner that will transport people through the many intense experiences, some wonderful, some not, that helped define Elton as an artist, musician and man.
And here's JT as EJ in the video for "This Train Don't Stop There Anymore" (off the very good SONGS FROM THE WEST COAST).
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 216 total posts 102 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 226 total posts 71 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 131 total posts 53 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 129 total posts 27 posts
- Co-Director Anthony Russo Is Teasing, What, Exactly, Regarding CAPTAIN AMERICA 3?? -- 221 total posts 24 posts
2012-2014 -- 47 total posts 17 posts
- New Poster for OPEN WINDOWS! -- 17 total posts 17 posts
- This Trailer For The New SHAUN THE SHEEP Movie Doesn’t Look Too Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Here’s BBC’s Synopsis Of DOCTOR WHO S08E03: “Robots of Sherwood’ !! -- 70 total posts 14 posts
- Martin Scorsese May Make A Film About One Of America's Greatest Bands! Gabba Gabba Hey! -- 231 total posts 14 posts