Jim Gillespie Returns To Directing With TAKE DOWN!!
The Kidd here...
Okay, admit it... many of you don't even know who Jim Gillespie is. You couldn't put a face to the name if you had a gun to your head, and you certainly couldn't recall the movies associated with him. I had to do my own research to get some more details on the guy, but Gillespie was the man behind the camera for the 90s slasher hit I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER, which tried to capitalize on all the interest in the genre that SCREAM generated at the time. If you recall, you could throw a rock during that period and hit a teen slasher horror flick... that's how many of them seemed to be rushing to theatres then. It's not a great film by any means, but, as someone right in that target age bracket back in '97, you really couldn't go wrong with a film that featured Jennifer Love Hewitt and Sarah Michelle Gellar then and there... even if it does have a killer fisherman.
Following I KNOW WHAT YOU DID, Gillespie wasn't involved with its less memorable sequel, and went on to make a pair of movies only a handful of people have seen - EYE SEE YOU, the Sylvester Stallone crime thriller that didn't see a limited U.S. release until three full years after its international run, and VENOM, a voodoo horror film that only took in $881, 779 at the box office. That last picture was back in 2005, meaning Gillespie hasn't directed a feature length film in eight years.
Well, someone must have really liked his earlier work, as Gillespie is heading back to the director's chair to helm TAKE DOWN from a script written by Alexander Ignon, who is best known for RANSOM. According to Variety, TAKE DOWN would showcase an international cast of teens sent away from their billionaire parents to a boarding school out in the middle of nowhere. A group of kidnappers take the school hostage though, and it's up to these kids to fight back against their captors. So kind of like TOY SOLDIERS, I guess.
No casting has taken place just yet, but if they get the right mix of youngsters for this, it could be fun on some level.
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Follow me on Twitter.
Like me on Facebook.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 180 total posts 44 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 307 total posts 6 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 82 total posts 4 posts
- Spring Forward With Lauren Cohen & Sonequa Martin-Green On TALKING DEAD!! Data Brokers On 60 MINUTES!! The Premieres Of Fox’s COSMOS, Lohan’s LINDSAY & Carolla’s CATCH A CONTRATOR!! The Returns Of BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, ONCE & REVENGE!! New GIRLS, ISLAND, AMAZING, SHAMELESS, FIANCE, WIVES, AX!! KARDASHIANS & LOOKING Finales!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 6 total posts 3 posts
- SXSW 2014: Nordling Reviews BOYHOOD! -- 7 total posts 2 posts
- Lena Dunham Hosts SNL!! Sagan COSMOS Marathon On NGC!! New UNIVERSE, OUTRAGEOUS ACTS OF SCIENCE & BLACK SAILS!! SWAMP PAWN, RAISING WHITLEY, SCORNED, COPS & CRAZY HEARTS Finales!! Hallmark’s A RING BY SPRING!! Lifetime’s A TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 34 total posts 2 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 40 total posts 2 posts
- A newly remastered 4K print of THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE is coming just in time for its 40th anniversary!! -- 70 total posts 1 post
- Merrick Stands Up In The Milky Way To Be Pummeled By The Greatness Of COSMOS: A SPACETIME ODYSSEY!! -- 43 total posts 1 post
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 216 total posts 1 post