Annette Kellerman From SXSW 2013: MALADIES!!
Maladies is the story of James (James Franco), a former soap opera star who is living with his slightly deranged sister Patricia (Fallon Goodson). Also living with the siblings is Catherine (Catherine Keener), a somewhat eccentric artist and close friend of James. The film takes place in the early 60's in a time when mental illness wasn't exactly a normal topic of discussion much less treated as a true illness. Moreover, homosexuals, cross-dressers and others who didn't fit society's norms were lumped into the mentally ill category as well.
Though his sister's condition is subtle yet apparent, James himself appears to suffer from "maladies" of his own. A running commentary by a voice in his head paired with some borderline strange behavior shows us that James is always on the edge of losing it completely. When it is revealed early on that the perfectly sane Catherine is gay and a transvestite, an interesting question of what is normal and what is not is dramatically presented.
Director Carter (no typo- one name) beautifully tells this small but powerful tale about a group of loved ones and their so-called demons. Though the film doesn't follow a traditional narrative, Carter weaves together a story that is as entertaining as it is poignant. The film is beautifully shot and employs dazzling mid-century modern production design befitting a director who is also an conceptual artist.
Terrific performances by Catherine Keener, James Franco, and Fallon Goodson ground the film and further elevate this contemplative art piece.
Franco shows the complexity of his character with a perfectly nuanced performance that is never too over the top. Keener beautifully portrays her character's tortured repression without asking for her pity. Fallon's take on the quirky Patricia is subtle and fun with just the right amount of dramatic flair when her character eventually becomes the unexpected voice of reason.
Carter has delivered a film that is beautiful, thought-provoking and intelligently artistic.
- Rebecca Elliott
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Is one of these guys ready to play Dr. Victor Von Doom in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 123 total posts 123 posts
- A New And Nice Clip From Darren Aronofsky’s NOAH!! + Emma Watson Introduces A New Trailer!! -- 122 total posts 122 posts
- ‘You Are Of SHIELD??’ THOR’s Hot Pal Sif Joins AGENTS!! The Premiere Of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN!! Plus New NEW GIRL, BOY, BROOKLYN, BACHELOR, BAD GIRLS, MIND GAMES, TROPHY, TOSH, ORIGINALS, GOLDBERGS, GLEE, RIZZOLI, PERCEPTION, KROLL, LIARS, COUGAR, FISHER, FIRE, CONTAINER, TEEN MOM, CAPONES & VOICE!! KING Finale!! Syfy’s MY BIG FAT GEEK WEDDING!! Lauren Cohan & Jeff Goldblum on CRAIG!! Rachel Maddow On SETH!! Ronald D. Moore On LAST CALL!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 117 total posts 117 posts
- Li Bingbing Looks Mighty Stern In Her TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION Character Poster!! -- 98 total posts 98 posts
- New Clip from CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER! -- 74 total posts 74 posts
- Jason Sudeikis to star as the Laker lovin', disguise wearin' Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher in FLETCH WON! -- 72 total posts 72 posts
- See The Flash's Full Costume For The New CW Show!! -- 66 total posts 66 posts
- The Rock ‘Em, Sock ‘Em Badassity Of TITANFALL Is Now Upon Us!! -- 59 total posts 59 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 341 total posts 47 posts
- Another Talented Filmmaker Joins The DOCTOR STRANGE Directin' Derby! -- 44 total posts 44 posts