Annette Kellerman From SXSW 2013: MALADIES!!
Maladies is the story of James (James Franco), a former soap opera star who is living with his slightly deranged sister Patricia (Fallon Goodson). Also living with the siblings is Catherine (Catherine Keener), a somewhat eccentric artist and close friend of James. The film takes place in the early 60's in a time when mental illness wasn't exactly a normal topic of discussion much less treated as a true illness. Moreover, homosexuals, cross-dressers and others who didn't fit society's norms were lumped into the mentally ill category as well.
Though his sister's condition is subtle yet apparent, James himself appears to suffer from "maladies" of his own. A running commentary by a voice in his head paired with some borderline strange behavior shows us that James is always on the edge of losing it completely. When it is revealed early on that the perfectly sane Catherine is gay and a transvestite, an interesting question of what is normal and what is not is dramatically presented.
Director Carter (no typo- one name) beautifully tells this small but powerful tale about a group of loved ones and their so-called demons. Though the film doesn't follow a traditional narrative, Carter weaves together a story that is as entertaining as it is poignant. The film is beautifully shot and employs dazzling mid-century modern production design befitting a director who is also an conceptual artist.
Terrific performances by Catherine Keener, James Franco, and Fallon Goodson ground the film and further elevate this contemplative art piece.
Franco shows the complexity of his character with a perfectly nuanced performance that is never too over the top. Keener beautifully portrays her character's tortured repression without asking for her pity. Fallon's take on the quirky Patricia is subtle and fun with just the right amount of dramatic flair when her character eventually becomes the unexpected voice of reason.
Carter has delivered a film that is beautiful, thought-provoking and intelligently artistic.
- Rebecca Elliott
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 182 total posts 178 posts
- A Badass GAME OF THRONES Sword Guy Has Apparently Been Cast In STAR WARS EPISODE VII!! -- 126 total posts 126 posts
- See Luke Evans' Kinect Bats In This New DRACULA UNTOLD Trailer!! -- 98 total posts 98 posts
- This New Trailer For MONSTERS: DARK CONTINENT Is Looking Promising!! -- 86 total posts 86 posts
- BBC Issues DOCTOR WHO: ‘Robot of Sherwood’ Promo Images!! + DOCTOR WHO EXTRAs For ‘Deep Breath’ And ‘Into the Dalek’ Are Now On YouTube!! -- 49 total posts 49 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 747 total posts 33 posts
- AICN COMICS PODCAST reviews GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! WAYWARD! SUNDOWNERS! & More! -- 21 total posts 21 posts
- Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling to bust some heads as Shane Black's NICE GUYS in July 2016! -- 19 total posts 19 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 431 total posts 18 posts
- The DRUNK HISTORY Finale!! HOUDINI Finale!! ROYAL PAINS Finale!! RIZZOLI & ISLES Finale!! HARD KNOCKS Finale!! New TALENT, CARTER, GEAR, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR, WIZARD!! The Chenbot On LETTERMAN!! Brienne Of Tarth On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 18 total posts 18 posts