And The Director Of JURASSIC PARK IV Is...
Beaks here with some moderately surprising news. Last night, Drew McWeeny floated the possibility of Steven Spielberg returning to the JURASSIC PARK franchise. I thought he might've been on to something there - and, actually, with the fourth installment of the series thirteen months away from release, it's possible Spielberg's already done a good deal of directing in previsualization. In any event, the up-and-coming Mr. Trevorrow, who enjoyed critical and small-scale commercial success with his indie debut SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED, will guide the film through principal photography.
The strengths of a director like Trevorrow shouldn't be underestimated on a massive project like this. Getting actors (especially young actors) to convey the proper sense of awe, shock and sheer terror will be crucial to selling the sure-to-be-jaw-dropping visual effects. The second unit will see to it that the action/stunts/etc. are top shelf; whether the characters register as anything more than potential dino fodder will be up to Trevorrow (and, obviously, screenwriters Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver).
According to Deadline, Trevorrow got the job because Spielberg and company "felt he was a good match for the material, having grown up a huge fan of the trilogy and part of a new generation of directors steeped in all things dinosaur." This is about as big a step up from first to second feature as I've ever seen. It'll be an amazing learning experience for Trevorrow. If he impresses his masters, he's set for a good long while in Hollywood.
JURASSIC PARK IV hits theaters on June 13, 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- JJ Abrams reveals a rusted out, beat up awesome looking X-Wing in new video! -- 525 total posts 139 posts
- Idris Elba to play one of Guy Ritchie's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE! -- 309 total posts 131 posts
- 4th Week of July 2014 PICKS & PEEKS: Werewolves, BLUE RUIN, Nordic Noir, ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE + more! -- 86 total posts 86 posts
- For your viewing pleasure, a 5-minute clip of Star Lord and his GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! -- 225 total posts 80 posts
- Edgar Wright's Next Project Revealed! -- 66 total posts 66 posts
- Could This Be The (Barebones) Plot Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII?! SPOILERS! -- 1494 total posts 51 posts
- A Recently Recovered Gene Roddenberry Interview Leads To A Kickstarter About The Early Days Of STAR TREK!! -- 49 total posts 49 posts
Longest. Marathon. Ever.
FXX To Air All 25 Years Of THE SIMPSONS Over 12 Days Starting Aug. 21!! -- 82 total posts 49 posts
Only Seven Episodes
Of LOUIE Next Year!! -- 59 total posts 49 posts
- A Preview Of SQUICKERWONKERS!! A New Book From LOST’s Evangeline Lilly - She's Bringing It To Comic Con This Week!! -- 45 total posts 45 posts