And The Director Of JURASSIC PARK IV Is...
Beaks here with some moderately surprising news. Last night, Drew McWeeny floated the possibility of Steven Spielberg returning to the JURASSIC PARK franchise. I thought he might've been on to something there - and, actually, with the fourth installment of the series thirteen months away from release, it's possible Spielberg's already done a good deal of directing in previsualization. In any event, the up-and-coming Mr. Trevorrow, who enjoyed critical and small-scale commercial success with his indie debut SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED, will guide the film through principal photography.
The strengths of a director like Trevorrow shouldn't be underestimated on a massive project like this. Getting actors (especially young actors) to convey the proper sense of awe, shock and sheer terror will be crucial to selling the sure-to-be-jaw-dropping visual effects. The second unit will see to it that the action/stunts/etc. are top shelf; whether the characters register as anything more than potential dino fodder will be up to Trevorrow (and, obviously, screenwriters Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver).
According to Deadline, Trevorrow got the job because Spielberg and company "felt he was a good match for the material, having grown up a huge fan of the trilogy and part of a new generation of directors steeped in all things dinosaur." This is about as big a step up from first to second feature as I've ever seen. It'll be an amazing learning experience for Trevorrow. If he impresses his masters, he's set for a good long while in Hollywood.
JURASSIC PARK IV hits theaters on June 13, 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Has STAR WARS EPISODE VII Landed Its First Non-OT Cast Member? -- 392 total posts 94 posts
- Steven Seagal might be joining THE EXPENDABLES 3!! -- 213 total posts 60 posts
- Harry dives into STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS' spoilers to reveal the truth behind the blockbuster we're seeing! -- 1159 total posts 58 posts
- Harry's 21st Picks & Peeks of 2013 has MEDIUM COOL, THE LAST STAND, THE BURNING, BATMAN, MIYAZAKI Blus and more!!! -- 28 total posts 28 posts
- John Ary's Video Review Of The New CAPTAIN AMERICA (1990) Blu-ray!! -- 191 total posts 19 posts
- Nordling Reviews STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS! Spoilers Abound! You Are Warned! -- 1322 total posts 16 posts
- Trailer For Alejandro Jodorowsky's THE DANCE OF REALITY Is Filled With Hauntingly Surreal Imagery! -- 42 total posts 13 posts
- Kurt Russell and Timothy Olyphant sign up to throw a BONE TOMAHAWK!!! -- 106 total posts 12 posts
- STAR WARS REBELS Coming To Disney XD Fall 2014!! Chock Full-O-McQuarrie!?!? -- 180 total posts 12 posts
- Very Funny Red-Band Trailer Makes A Profanely Convincing Case For THE KINGS OF SUMMER! -- 28 total posts 10 posts