UPDATE!! Project Reaches $3.5 Million On DAY THREE!! 27 Days To Go!! GREAT KANES OF NEPTUNE!! IT WORKED!! Fans Greenlight VERONICA MARS: THE MOTION PICTURE In 10 Hours!! Is Your Favorite Cancelled Series Next??
“Veronica Mars” mastermind Rob Thomas set a goal of financing a $2 million “Mars” movie within 30 days – and it took him way less than 30 hours.
Setting a movie kickstarter record, the project received its first $2 million in just under 10 hours from about 32,000 donors.
That averages out to about $62.50 per backer. $62.50 is almost exactly what I spend on comic books every month!
And with 29 days to go, Zeus only knows how swollen that budget is going to get.
Maybe they’ll have enough to hire Jeff Bridges or Michael Fassbender to play the mayor of Neptune. Maybe they’ll even have enough to pay for Amanda Seyfried to reprise the ghost of Lilly Kane.
In this age of streaming and DVRs, does this mark a major turning point for the motion picture and television business models?
Does this mean we might be soon be getting fan-financed movies built around “Firefly,” “Gilmore Girls,” “Twin Peaks,” “Buffy The Vampire Slayer,” “Pushing Daisies,” “Deadwood” or “Farscape”?
If the next “Star Trek” TV series doesn’t pull enough viewers to remain on the air, will fans be given the option of financing it themselves?
Can you see the gears turning in the brains of Chris Carter, Mitch Hurwitz and J. Michael Straczynski?
The “Veronica Mars” kickstarter exists because rightsholder Warner Bros. permitted it. Will Fox, Paramount, Universal and Disney prove as willing?
A lot will likely depend on the revenue this new “Veronica Mars” project generates from cinemas, Blu-rays, pay cable, basic cable and so on.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Microsoft's Reveal Of The Next XBOX Is Upon Us, And Streaming Here!! -- 306 total posts 306 posts
- Has STAR WARS EPISODE VII Landed Its First Non-OT Cast Member? -- 491 total posts 193 posts
- The New WOLVERINE Trailer Brings Forth More Jean Grey!! -- 183 total posts 183 posts
- Harry dives into STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS' spoilers to reveal the truth behind the blockbuster we're seeing! -- 1278 total posts 177 posts
- So which character is going to be the villain in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY!?! -- 159 total posts 159 posts
- Steven Seagal might be joining THE EXPENDABLES 3!! -- 274 total posts 121 posts
- So is JURASSIC PARK IV a remake or a reboot? Sam Neill thinks he has the answer! -- 109 total posts 109 posts
- Harry's 21st Picks & Peeks of 2013 has MEDIUM COOL, THE LAST STAND, THE BURNING, BATMAN, MIYAZAKI Blus and more!!! -- 94 total posts 94 posts
- Steven Spielberg to produce a live action Halo series for Microsoft! -- 82 total posts 82 posts
- New MAN OF STEEL trailer makes me happy that Superman has severe red eye!!! -- 81 total posts 81 posts