New AFTER EARTH Trailer Makes A Decent Case For Giving M. Night Shyamalan Another Shot!
The last M. Night Shyamalan movie I liked was UNBREAKABLE. Beyond that, I found a good deal to admire in LADY IN THE WATER (Chris Doyle's cinematography, James Newton Howard's score and a talented ensemble cast led by Paul Giamatti make it worth watching at least once), but wrote him off after THE HAPPENING. There was a theory that Shyamalan needed to relinquish control as a writer and simply be a director, but that notion got shot to hell with THE LAST AIRBENDER, which is one of the worst big-budget studio movies ever made.
But Hollywood loves a comeback story, and what better way to get right with audiences than to team up with Will Smith, The Most Likable Man On the Planet? Sure, Will has stumbled in the past, but when he throws himself into a big summer movie, the results are rarely disappointing. AFTER EARTH was written by Gary Whitta and polished by Stephen Gaghan, two very capable fellows. It was shot by Peter Suschitzky, David Cronenberg's go-to (and the DP on EMPIRE STRIKES BACK). And James Newton Howard did the score. All good signs. Let's just assume that the IMDb is mistaken in listing Shyamalan as one of the writers on the movie. Instead, let's watch this new AFTER EARTH trailer, which makes it look better than INCHON.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Two New AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic-Con Posters Reveal… -- 262 total posts 262 posts
- UPDATED! Has Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE Casting Search Gone To Phoenix? -- 152 total posts 152 posts
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 358 total posts 131 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen the new Interstellar trailer! Plus The Rock and Spongebob stuff! -- 117 total posts 117 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint talks about the surprisingly good 5-ish minutes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shown at the Con! -- 114 total posts 114 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 287 total posts 103 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 319 total posts 73 posts
- "This is a classic alternate reality situation...like FRINGE!" Get wet with the red-band trailer for HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 2! -- 118 total posts 65 posts
- Sam Raimi Producing THE LAST OF US Movie! Maisie Williams In Talk To Play Ellie! -- 46 total posts 46 posts
- Footage of discarded concept art, interviews with Tim Burton and Kevin Smith, and Nicolas Cage in flight in this trailer for THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES! -- 39 total posts 39 posts