New AFTER EARTH Trailer Makes A Decent Case For Giving M. Night Shyamalan Another Shot!
The last M. Night Shyamalan movie I liked was UNBREAKABLE. Beyond that, I found a good deal to admire in LADY IN THE WATER (Chris Doyle's cinematography, James Newton Howard's score and a talented ensemble cast led by Paul Giamatti make it worth watching at least once), but wrote him off after THE HAPPENING. There was a theory that Shyamalan needed to relinquish control as a writer and simply be a director, but that notion got shot to hell with THE LAST AIRBENDER, which is one of the worst big-budget studio movies ever made.
But Hollywood loves a comeback story, and what better way to get right with audiences than to team up with Will Smith, The Most Likable Man On the Planet? Sure, Will has stumbled in the past, but when he throws himself into a big summer movie, the results are rarely disappointing. AFTER EARTH was written by Gary Whitta and polished by Stephen Gaghan, two very capable fellows. It was shot by Peter Suschitzky, David Cronenberg's go-to (and the DP on EMPIRE STRIKES BACK). And James Newton Howard did the score. All good signs. Let's just assume that the IMDb is mistaken in listing Shyamalan as one of the writers on the movie. Instead, let's watch this new AFTER EARTH trailer, which makes it look better than INCHON.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 44 total posts 44 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 102 total posts 25 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 509 total posts 12 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 265 total posts 9 posts
- Papa Vinyard Saw THE HATEFUL EIGHT Script Reading Last Night And Here's His Review! -- 31 total posts 8 posts
- This Week's Saturday Shorts: Parkour, Compliments, and Getting Pooped on! -- 14 total posts 8 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 219 total posts 5 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 22 total posts 4 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 333 total posts 4 posts
- AICN HORROR looks at PROXY! THE LASHMAN! 13 SINS! CAMP DREAD! ROULETTE! POSEIDON REX! CONFINE! DEATH DO US PART! PSYCHOPHONY: AN EXPERIMENT IN EVIL! MONSTERS TV Series! HOWLS! & WOLF CREEK 2! -- 11 total posts 3 posts