Bob Odenkirk and Ben Stiller Reteam For IFC’s Sketch Comedy Series THE BIRTHDAY BOYS!!
Bob Odenkirk (“Mr. Show,” “Breaking Bad”) and Ben Stiller (“Tower Heist,” “The Watch”), who worked together on SNL in 1989 before writing and starring in 1992’s “The Ben Stiller Show,” are reteaming to produce IFC’s “The Birthday Boys.”
IFC has ordered 10 episodes of the series, which will star Odenkirk alongside the Birthday Boys sketch comedy troupe.
IFC GREENLIGHTS NEW ORIGINAL COMEDY SERIES THE BIRTHDAY BOYS
Executive Produced by Bob Odenkirk and Ben Stiller
NEW YORK, NY – March 7, 2013 – IFC has greenlit ten half-‐hour episodes of The Birthday Boys, a new scripted original sketch comedy to join the network’s “Always on. Slightly off.” line-‐up later this year. Executive produced by Bob Odenkirk (Breaking Bad, Mr. Show) and Ben Stiller (The upcoming The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Zoolander), The Birthday Boys features the Los Angeles comedy group of the same name (UCB Theatre Los Angeles, Just for Laughs Festival) along with Odenkirk.
“The Birthday Boys are too good to just be making viral videos. They are funny enough to fill time between episodes of Portlandia,” said Ben Stiller. “I’m thrilled to be working with Bob Odenkirk again on a TV project. We try to do something every 20 years or so."
Said Bob Odenkirk, “The Birthday Boys are a super funny and fresh new comic voice. I will try not to slow them down.”
The series is in the classic vein of absurd/silly/smart/funny variety shows (Mr. Show, Monty Python), featuring sketches that twist real-‐life moments and cultural touchstones. An early episode tackles such issues as eggs, toilet paper and computers.
The Birthday Boys comedy group includes Jefferson Dutton, Dave Ferguson, Mike Hanford, Tim Kalpakis, Matt Kowalick, Mike Mitchell and Chris VanArtsdalen—whose combined credits include Parks and Recreation, The Office, Conan, Comedy Bang! Bang!, and Portlandia.
“Bob is iconic in the sketch world and we’re thrilled to take him back to his roots with such an incredibly talented sketch troupe,” said Jennifer Caserta, president and general manager of IFC. “We’ve received great recognition for airing Mr. Show and The Ben Stiller Show and are confident our audience will find The Birthday Boys similarly fresh, smart and original.”
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 3rd PICKS & PEEKS of Sept 2014: Crichton Blus, THE PARTY, Bloody Entertainment, GODZILLA 3D & More!!! -- 450 total posts 36 posts
- Loki vs. King Kong in SKULL ISLAND! -- 296 total posts 20 posts
- Behold The Cool(ish) IMAX Poster For DRACULA UNTOLD!! -- 170 total posts 6 posts
- Meryl Streep Bewitches the First INTO THE WOODS Poster! -- 57 total posts 6 posts
- A New Poster For Christopher Nolan’s INTERSTELLAR!! -- 207 total posts 5 posts
- 12 TIFF reviews from 'garbageman33' covers everything from Gyllenhaal in NIGHTCRAWLER to Baumbach's WHILE WE'RE YOUNG! -- 6 total posts 4 posts
- The New Trailer For THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY PART 1 Hints That The Movie Is Freakin’ Huge!! -- 284 total posts 4 posts
- Paramount has set release dates for the last two films in it's new TERMINATOR: GENISYS trilogy! -- 253 total posts 4 posts
- Check out this MASSIVE new HOBBIT: BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES banner!! -- 303 total posts 3 posts
- Here come a remake that will really make you feel old - Sony is fast tracking a remake to I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER! -- 130 total posts 3 posts