Bob Odenkirk and Ben Stiller Reteam For IFC’s Sketch Comedy Series THE BIRTHDAY BOYS!!
Bob Odenkirk (“Mr. Show,” “Breaking Bad”) and Ben Stiller (“Tower Heist,” “The Watch”), who worked together on SNL in 1989 before writing and starring in 1992’s “The Ben Stiller Show,” are reteaming to produce IFC’s “The Birthday Boys.”
IFC has ordered 10 episodes of the series, which will star Odenkirk alongside the Birthday Boys sketch comedy troupe.
IFC GREENLIGHTS NEW ORIGINAL COMEDY SERIES THE BIRTHDAY BOYS
Executive Produced by Bob Odenkirk and Ben Stiller
NEW YORK, NY – March 7, 2013 – IFC has greenlit ten half-‐hour episodes of The Birthday Boys, a new scripted original sketch comedy to join the network’s “Always on. Slightly off.” line-‐up later this year. Executive produced by Bob Odenkirk (Breaking Bad, Mr. Show) and Ben Stiller (The upcoming The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Zoolander), The Birthday Boys features the Los Angeles comedy group of the same name (UCB Theatre Los Angeles, Just for Laughs Festival) along with Odenkirk.
“The Birthday Boys are too good to just be making viral videos. They are funny enough to fill time between episodes of Portlandia,” said Ben Stiller. “I’m thrilled to be working with Bob Odenkirk again on a TV project. We try to do something every 20 years or so."
Said Bob Odenkirk, “The Birthday Boys are a super funny and fresh new comic voice. I will try not to slow them down.”
The series is in the classic vein of absurd/silly/smart/funny variety shows (Mr. Show, Monty Python), featuring sketches that twist real-‐life moments and cultural touchstones. An early episode tackles such issues as eggs, toilet paper and computers.
The Birthday Boys comedy group includes Jefferson Dutton, Dave Ferguson, Mike Hanford, Tim Kalpakis, Matt Kowalick, Mike Mitchell and Chris VanArtsdalen—whose combined credits include Parks and Recreation, The Office, Conan, Comedy Bang! Bang!, and Portlandia.
“Bob is iconic in the sketch world and we’re thrilled to take him back to his roots with such an incredibly talented sketch troupe,” said Jennifer Caserta, president and general manager of IFC. “We’ve received great recognition for airing Mr. Show and The Ben Stiller Show and are confident our audience will find The Birthday Boys similarly fresh, smart and original.”
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Spoilery early review of MAN OF STEEL!! -- 510 total posts 92 posts
- Capone believes that FAST & FURIOUS 6 is the best in a bizarre, crowded franchise!!! -- 127 total posts 61 posts
- Beware Epileptics - we have a new motion poster for the upcoming remake of CARRIE! -- 111 total posts 51 posts
- MAN OF STEEL TV Spot #6 - I give up, I'm just dying to see this thing! -- 49 total posts 49 posts
HERCULES ON THE RADIO!!
Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks About The New WOLVERINE Trailer, Soderbergh’s CANDELABBRA, FURIOUS 6, HANGOVER III, EPIC, GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN And More!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT/11pm ET!! -- 38 total posts 38 posts
- New trailer for Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara's upcoming western, AIN'T THEM BODIES SAINTS!! -- 75 total posts 34 posts
- The INDY 500 Featurette about TURBO proves that Ferrari moves at a Snail's Pace! -- 37 total posts 30 posts
- Harry dives into STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS' spoilers to reveal the truth behind the blockbuster we're seeing! -- 1499 total posts 28 posts
- Capone makes the case that THE HANGOVER PART III is neither a comedy nor a movie!!! -- 86 total posts 27 posts
- The Friday Docback Revisits DOCTOR WHO Season 7!! A Fuller Review Of 'The Name of the Doctor,' And More!! -- 101 total posts 26 posts