Bob Odenkirk and Ben Stiller Reteam For IFC’s Sketch Comedy Series THE BIRTHDAY BOYS!!
Bob Odenkirk (“Mr. Show,” “Breaking Bad”) and Ben Stiller (“Tower Heist,” “The Watch”), who worked together on SNL in 1989 before writing and starring in 1992’s “The Ben Stiller Show,” are reteaming to produce IFC’s “The Birthday Boys.”
IFC has ordered 10 episodes of the series, which will star Odenkirk alongside the Birthday Boys sketch comedy troupe.
IFC GREENLIGHTS NEW ORIGINAL COMEDY SERIES THE BIRTHDAY BOYS
Executive Produced by Bob Odenkirk and Ben Stiller
NEW YORK, NY – March 7, 2013 – IFC has greenlit ten half-‐hour episodes of The Birthday Boys, a new scripted original sketch comedy to join the network’s “Always on. Slightly off.” line-‐up later this year. Executive produced by Bob Odenkirk (Breaking Bad, Mr. Show) and Ben Stiller (The upcoming The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Zoolander), The Birthday Boys features the Los Angeles comedy group of the same name (UCB Theatre Los Angeles, Just for Laughs Festival) along with Odenkirk.
“The Birthday Boys are too good to just be making viral videos. They are funny enough to fill time between episodes of Portlandia,” said Ben Stiller. “I’m thrilled to be working with Bob Odenkirk again on a TV project. We try to do something every 20 years or so."
Said Bob Odenkirk, “The Birthday Boys are a super funny and fresh new comic voice. I will try not to slow them down.”
The series is in the classic vein of absurd/silly/smart/funny variety shows (Mr. Show, Monty Python), featuring sketches that twist real-‐life moments and cultural touchstones. An early episode tackles such issues as eggs, toilet paper and computers.
The Birthday Boys comedy group includes Jefferson Dutton, Dave Ferguson, Mike Hanford, Tim Kalpakis, Matt Kowalick, Mike Mitchell and Chris VanArtsdalen—whose combined credits include Parks and Recreation, The Office, Conan, Comedy Bang! Bang!, and Portlandia.
“Bob is iconic in the sketch world and we’re thrilled to take him back to his roots with such an incredibly talented sketch troupe,” said Jennifer Caserta, president and general manager of IFC. “We’ve received great recognition for airing Mr. Show and The Ben Stiller Show and are confident our audience will find The Birthday Boys similarly fresh, smart and original.”
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 147 total posts 17 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 40 total posts 11 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 18 total posts 10 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 109 total posts 8 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 16 total posts 7 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 75 total posts 7 posts
- Director Colin Trevorrow Talks The Bigger Picture Of JURASSIC WORLD!! -- 71 total posts 7 posts
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 398 total posts 6 posts
- "Where do you stand on Michael Buble?" "His windpipe?" Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon have more celebrity impressions up their sleeves in THE TRIP TO ITALY trailer! -- 28 total posts 6 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 343 total posts 6 posts