Jesse L. Martin's Decade-Long Quest To Play Marvin Gaye May Be At An End!
In February of 2008, I wrote a news item for C.H.U.D. about Lauren Goodman's Marvin Gaye biopic, SEXUAL HEALING, being on the verge of principal photography, thanks in part to James Gandolfini coming onboard to produce and play British music promoter Freddy Cousaert. At the center of this film was Jesse L. Martin, who originated the role of Tom Collins in the New York Theatre Workshop/Broadway production of RENT before going on to star in a zillion LAW & ORDER episodes as Detective Ed Green. Martin had been ferociously pursuing the role of Marvin Gaye for years. It was his dream part. But while most people believed Martin was ideal casting, it was difficult convincing financiers to invest in a music biopic starring a guy best known for busting perps on television. So the project basically fell apart, dashing Martin's dreams.
Last year, SEXUAL HEALING almost went into production with Julien Temple directing and Lenny Kravitz in the lead. No one save for the money people liked this casting, but Martin hadn't gotten any more popular in the interim, so this seemed like the best shot to get the film made. Thankfully, Gaye's son, Marvin Gaye III, pitched a fit, which evidently helped get Kravitz off the project. And now, five years later, we're back to Jesse L. Martin.
I'm still not a huge fan of a Gaye biopic focusing almost exclusively on his brief career resurgence in the early 1980s (cut short by Marvin's father, who shot and killed his own son), but I'm rooting for the very talented Martin to do do something extraordinary with this performance. Gaye's life followed an erratic trajectory: exhilarating highs, unfathomable lows and very little in between. Here's hoping they don't dwell on the misery. (And that they can get the rights to at least some of Gaye's Motown recordings from Barry Gordy, who is reportedly holding out to produce a Gaye biopic of his own.) There's a great story to be told here.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 266 total posts 152 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 272 total posts 117 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 182 total posts 104 posts
- New Poster for OPEN WINDOWS! -- 95 total posts 95 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 74 total posts 74 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 65 total posts 65 posts
- This Trailer For The New SHAUN THE SHEEP Movie Doesn’t Look Too Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!! -- 52 total posts 52 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 151 total posts 49 posts
- Co-Director Anthony Russo Is Teasing, What, Exactly, Regarding CAPTAIN AMERICA 3?? -- 234 total posts 37 posts
- AICN HORROR looks at EXTRATERRESTRIAL! SAVAGELAND! REVELATION TRAIL! THE POSESSION OF MICHAEL KING! THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE! SLOPPY THE PSYCHOTIC! MY FAIR ZOMBIE! THE FORBIDDEN GIRL! MOEBIUS! TWILIGHT ZONE 1985! SUFFER THE CHILDREN Book Review! & cast your vote for PRESIDENT WOLFMAN! -- 36 total posts 36 posts