Jesse L. Martin's Decade-Long Quest To Play Marvin Gaye May Be At An End!
In February of 2008, I wrote a news item for C.H.U.D. about Lauren Goodman's Marvin Gaye biopic, SEXUAL HEALING, being on the verge of principal photography, thanks in part to James Gandolfini coming onboard to produce and play British music promoter Freddy Cousaert. At the center of this film was Jesse L. Martin, who originated the role of Tom Collins in the New York Theatre Workshop/Broadway production of RENT before going on to star in a zillion LAW & ORDER episodes as Detective Ed Green. Martin had been ferociously pursuing the role of Marvin Gaye for years. It was his dream part. But while most people believed Martin was ideal casting, it was difficult convincing financiers to invest in a music biopic starring a guy best known for busting perps on television. So the project basically fell apart, dashing Martin's dreams.
Last year, SEXUAL HEALING almost went into production with Julien Temple directing and Lenny Kravitz in the lead. No one save for the money people liked this casting, but Martin hadn't gotten any more popular in the interim, so this seemed like the best shot to get the film made. Thankfully, Gaye's son, Marvin Gaye III, pitched a fit, which evidently helped get Kravitz off the project. And now, five years later, we're back to Jesse L. Martin.
I'm still not a huge fan of a Gaye biopic focusing almost exclusively on his brief career resurgence in the early 1980s (cut short by Marvin's father, who shot and killed his own son), but I'm rooting for the very talented Martin to do do something extraordinary with this performance. Gaye's life followed an erratic trajectory: exhilarating highs, unfathomable lows and very little in between. Here's hoping they don't dwell on the misery. (And that they can get the rights to at least some of Gaye's Motown recordings from Barry Gordy, who is reportedly holding out to produce a Gaye biopic of his own.) There's a great story to be told here.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Two New AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic-Con Posters Reveal… -- 290 total posts 290 posts
- UPDATED! Has Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE Casting Search Gone To Phoenix? -- 172 total posts 172 posts
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 361 total posts 134 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint talks about the surprisingly good 5-ish minutes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shown at the Con! -- 119 total posts 119 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen the new Interstellar trailer! Plus The Rock and Spongebob stuff! -- 118 total posts 118 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 290 total posts 106 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 319 total posts 73 posts
- "This is a classic alternate reality situation...like FRINGE!" Get wet with the red-band trailer for HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 2! -- 123 total posts 70 posts
- Footage of discarded concept art, interviews with Tim Burton and Kevin Smith, and Nicolas Cage in flight in this trailer for THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES! -- 56 total posts 56 posts
- Sam Raimi Producing THE LAST OF US Movie! Maisie Williams In Talk To Play Ellie! -- 50 total posts 50 posts