Herc Swats Away
ABC’s RED WIDOW!!
A new ABC hourlong from writer-producer Melissa Rosenberg (all five “Twilight” vampire movies and many episodes of “Dexter”), “Red Widow” stars the fabulous Australian actress Radha Mitchell (“Pitch Black,” “Melinda and Melinda,” “Silent Hill,” “Surrogates”) as a suburban Bay Area soccer mom who finds herself forced to work for a Russian mobster (“ER” icon Goran Visnjic) to pay off a family debt after her drug-smuggling husband is murdered.
It packs perhaps a solid 25 minutes of plot into its 2-hour pilot.
It’s a great antidote to “The Sopranos,” “Breaking Bad” and “Boardwalk Empire,” reminding us that TV shows about organized crime can be incredibly boring too.
By turns dull and ludicrous, “Red Widow” is easily one of the weakest pilots to find its way to air in this or any other season. ABC ordered eight episodes; I’d be flabbergasted if we ever saw a ninth.
... the story doesn’t have enough oomph to get you past the credibility gaps. Combine that with a moralizing tendency that was probably necessary for broadcast-network prime time, and you’re left with pretty weak tea. …
... high-aspiring but poorly executed …
... staggers into an already listless mid-season Sunday on ABC with a premise borrowed from Dutch TV, a second-tier cast and consistently unconvincing writing throughout. … It takes two hours to lay all this out and about a minute to get that it's a snooze-fest. … This kind of writing is so bad is because it's convenient and not at all credible.
... Summarizing the show here makes me realize how “Red Widow” sounds either tedious or ridiculous, or some familiar combination of the two. But Mitchell’s coolly understated performance makes it all slightly more believable and worth a few episodes to see where it leads. …
... Bland and toothless … fails to come up with anything that's remotely interesting to watch. … Unlike a black widow, who mates and kills, "Red Widow" seems more likely to bore viewers to death.
... watching Mitchell as an actress trying to morph from a contented wife into a corrupt widow in a single sitting is painful. … If “Red Widow” were more psychologically twisty or more excessive and over-the-top, it could be more engaging. As it is, the show is ludicrous and not much fun.
… an off-putting start …
... Widow's indifferently performed, dishwater-dull opener give us no real clue as to who Marta is or what she wants — or why anyone would want to watch her pursue it.
... the middling execution hews closer to presenting a desperate housewife than bringing to mind “Breaking Bad.” …
10 p.m. Sunday. ABC.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Alex Kurtzman (as in Kurtzman and Orci) to direct the MUMMY reboot...yay?!! -- 155 total posts 56 posts
- New Trailer For Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR Is Here! Let's Light This Candle! -- 287 total posts 42 posts
- HBO Greenlights New Class Warfare Miniseries From THE WIRE Mastermind David Simon!! -- 73 total posts 37 posts
- Jeremy Talks GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, ANT-MAN And Comic Con With Kevin Feige! -- 164 total posts 26 posts
- Trailer for NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM 3...yeah, you're welcome! -- 180 total posts 19 posts
- First Poster for THE HATEFUL EIGHT Arrives, Confirming 2015 Release! -- 140 total posts 17 posts
- Find Out How E.T. Nearly Killed Video Games In Trailer For Zak Penn's Documentary, ATARI: GAME OVER! -- 370 total posts 14 posts
- Is a New TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE Film in the Works? -- 43 total posts 14 posts
- NBC Hires A PILF To Play Peter Pan Opposite Walken’s Captain Hook!! -- 27 total posts 11 posts
- New Images Invite You INTO THE WOODS! -- 44 total posts 6 posts