Herc Swats Away
ABC’s RED WIDOW!!
A new ABC hourlong from writer-producer Melissa Rosenberg (all five “Twilight” vampire movies and many episodes of “Dexter”), “Red Widow” stars the fabulous Australian actress Radha Mitchell (“Pitch Black,” “Melinda and Melinda,” “Silent Hill,” “Surrogates”) as a suburban Bay Area soccer mom who finds herself forced to work for a Russian mobster (“ER” icon Goran Visnjic) to pay off a family debt after her drug-smuggling husband is murdered.
It packs perhaps a solid 25 minutes of plot into its 2-hour pilot.
It’s a great antidote to “The Sopranos,” “Breaking Bad” and “Boardwalk Empire,” reminding us that TV shows about organized crime can be incredibly boring too.
By turns dull and ludicrous, “Red Widow” is easily one of the weakest pilots to find its way to air in this or any other season. ABC ordered eight episodes; I’d be flabbergasted if we ever saw a ninth.
... the story doesn’t have enough oomph to get you past the credibility gaps. Combine that with a moralizing tendency that was probably necessary for broadcast-network prime time, and you’re left with pretty weak tea. …
... high-aspiring but poorly executed …
... staggers into an already listless mid-season Sunday on ABC with a premise borrowed from Dutch TV, a second-tier cast and consistently unconvincing writing throughout. … It takes two hours to lay all this out and about a minute to get that it's a snooze-fest. … This kind of writing is so bad is because it's convenient and not at all credible.
... Summarizing the show here makes me realize how “Red Widow” sounds either tedious or ridiculous, or some familiar combination of the two. But Mitchell’s coolly understated performance makes it all slightly more believable and worth a few episodes to see where it leads. …
... Bland and toothless … fails to come up with anything that's remotely interesting to watch. … Unlike a black widow, who mates and kills, "Red Widow" seems more likely to bore viewers to death.
... watching Mitchell as an actress trying to morph from a contented wife into a corrupt widow in a single sitting is painful. … If “Red Widow” were more psychologically twisty or more excessive and over-the-top, it could be more engaging. As it is, the show is ludicrous and not much fun.
… an off-putting start …
... Widow's indifferently performed, dishwater-dull opener give us no real clue as to who Marta is or what she wants — or why anyone would want to watch her pursue it.
... the middling execution hews closer to presenting a desperate housewife than bringing to mind “Breaking Bad.” …
10 p.m. Sunday. ABC.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 3rd PICKS & PEEKS of Sept 2014: Crichton Blus, THE PARTY, Bloody Entertainment, GODZILLA 3D & More!!! -- 389 total posts 389 posts
- Loki vs. King Kong in SKULL ISLAND! -- 269 total posts 269 posts
- A New Poster For Christopher Nolan’s INTERSTELLAR!! -- 195 total posts 195 posts
- Behold The Cool(ish) IMAX Poster For DRACULA UNTOLD!! -- 163 total posts 163 posts
- Check out this MASSIVE new HOBBIT: BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES banner!! -- 300 total posts 145 posts
- Hold off, Aaron Cross: Matt Damon's back as Jason Bourne! -- 226 total posts 111 posts
- Promo Images From DOCTOR WHO S08E05 - ‘Time Heist’!! -- 98 total posts 98 posts
- SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE Hires 20-Year-Old Cast Member!! -- 86 total posts 55 posts
- 2nd Sept 2014 PICKS & PEEKS Column: CAP 2, Pumpkinhead, Toho, Addams, Star Trek, Slashers, Comedy & Action+ -- 1805 total posts 52 posts
- Looks like they got the right Mann to play Audrey Griswald in the VACATION update! -- 134 total posts 52 posts