Potter Producers Setting Sights On J.G. Ballard's The Drowned World!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. J.G. Ballard's very forward thinking The Drowned World celebrates its 50th anniversary this year and will also likely see itself adapted for the big screen, according to Deadline.
Ballard's work has already made two impressive films, Spielberg's Empire of the Sun and Cronenberg's Crash. Combine that with my personal love of the post-apocalyptic scene I get giddy at the thought of this work being adapted on a large scale.
With Jeffrey Clifford and David Heyman taking charge as producers (producers of the Harry Potter films) that seems pretty likely. Their run with Harry Potter has made them pretty well liked and respected around the WB lot, so I imagine if they've made it this far with this sci-fi project at Warners that it'd take something huge happening to take it off rails.
The book is about a future world (some 100+ years from today) where the ice caps have melted, flooding the world. The areas that aren't flooded have been taken back by mother nature. Humans are finding it harder and harder to live as fish, lizards and insects begin evolving at a faster rate, becoming the dominant species on earth.
A lot of the seeds of apocalyptic tropes are found here, way before they became the norm, including gangs of anarchists and mutated creatures.
Pretty rad, I have to say. Hope this one lines up someone great to write and direct.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 212 total posts 8 posts
- Fox Renews For Next Season THE MINDY PROJECT, THE FOLLOWING, BROOKLYN NINE-NINE And NEW GIRL!! -- 24 total posts 7 posts
- Karen Gillan has Night Terrors in this First OCULUS Clip! -- 5 total posts 5 posts
- Will the sun come out tomorrow!?! The first trailer for the remake of ANNIE is here! -- 567 total posts 5 posts
- Learn What Happens Next On HBO’s GAME OF THRONES!! -- 80 total posts 4 posts
- First clip from Jon Favreau's CHEF, premiering at SXSW! Favs vs. Twitter! -- 20 total posts 3 posts
- SXSW 2014: Jeremy Finds THAT GUY DICK MILLER A Warm, Worthy Tribute To A National Treasure! -- 9 total posts 3 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 3 total posts 3 posts
- AICN Legends: Quint chats up Kurt Russell about everything from Walt Disney to John Carpenter! -- 147 total posts 2 posts
- New Trailer for Jim Jarmusch's ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE! -- 2 total posts 2 posts