About That Phase 3 PLANET HULK Movie Marvel Is Allegedly Developing...
Our good friend El Mayimbe of Latino Review has been on a scooping tear lately. Given his nearly perfect track record (and the fact that I know and respect him personally), I trust his reporting implicitly, and link to his stories the minute they're posted. I'll continue to do this. I mean, on rare occasions, even the trades get stuff wrong. It happens.
And this time, it happened to our pal El Mayimbe.
A few days after Mayimbe broke his big Super Bowl story (which detailed Marvel's Phase 2 and 3 plans for the Hulk), I had a discussion with an extremely well-connected source who claimed the scoop was "1,000% inaccurate". Mayimbe's story claimed THE AVENGERS 2 would conclude with Earth's Mightiest Heroes exiling an erratic Hulk to the planet Sakaar, thereby setting up a standalone PLANET HULK movie (in which Hulk would go all John Carter on some aliens). This would lead to a vengeful Hulk returning to Earth in THE AVENGERS 3, where he would likely do battle with some version of The Illuminati (i.e. the members to which Marvel owns the rights). According to my source, this just isn't happening - not as long as Marvel's got Mark Ruffalo committed to a six-picture deal as Bruce Banner. And that's the primary issue with PLANET HULK: Banner isn't in it at all (unless you count the WHAT IF... story where Banner is immediately killed upon reaching Sakaar).
To make sure, I went to a another source for confirmation, and they backed up every detail. PLANET HULK isn't happening.
I couldn't get either source to spill on Marvel's specific plans for a standalone Hulk movie post-AVENGERS 2, but I'm told that Ruffalo-as-Banner will be an integral part of that film. After two false starts with Banner, Marvel is thrilled with Ruffalo. The last thing they want to do is reduce his role. Sure, they could have Ruffalo play Hulk in mocap, but the Banner element would be gone - and this evidently is important to Marvel.
Just don't expect Marvel to comment officially on any of this. Their m.o. right now is to ignore rumors. In the future, when they've got something to announce, they'll probably do it via press release. At least they'll try to. And the non-trades will keep trying to make their lives miserable.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Check Out Spidey and Electro in the First Clip from THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2! -- 59 total posts 59 posts
- Is one of these guys ready to play Dr. Victor Von Doom in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 182 total posts 51 posts
- ‘Nobody’s Interested In Your Texts!!’ President Barack Obama Takes On Zach Galifianakis BETWEEN TWO FERNS!! -- 67 total posts 32 posts
- Jason Sudeikis to star as the Laker lovin', disguise wearin' Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher in FLETCH WON! -- 92 total posts 20 posts
- The Rock ‘Em, Sock ‘Em Badassity Of TITANFALL Is Now Upon Us!! -- 76 total posts 17 posts
- International OCULUS Poster Has Arrived! -- 11 total posts 11 posts
- New Clip from CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER! -- 86 total posts 10 posts
- See The Flash's Full Costume For The New CW Show!! -- 74 total posts 8 posts
- Aliens look to Steve Martin to find them a new home planet in this extended teaser for HOME, entitled ALMOST HOME! -- 20 total posts 8 posts
- A New And Nice Clip From Darren Aronofsky’s NOAH!! + Emma Watson Introduces A New Trailer!! -- 130 total posts 8 posts