About That Phase 3 PLANET HULK Movie Marvel Is Allegedly Developing...
Our good friend El Mayimbe of Latino Review has been on a scooping tear lately. Given his nearly perfect track record (and the fact that I know and respect him personally), I trust his reporting implicitly, and link to his stories the minute they're posted. I'll continue to do this. I mean, on rare occasions, even the trades get stuff wrong. It happens.
And this time, it happened to our pal El Mayimbe.
A few days after Mayimbe broke his big Super Bowl story (which detailed Marvel's Phase 2 and 3 plans for the Hulk), I had a discussion with an extremely well-connected source who claimed the scoop was "1,000% inaccurate". Mayimbe's story claimed THE AVENGERS 2 would conclude with Earth's Mightiest Heroes exiling an erratic Hulk to the planet Sakaar, thereby setting up a standalone PLANET HULK movie (in which Hulk would go all John Carter on some aliens). This would lead to a vengeful Hulk returning to Earth in THE AVENGERS 3, where he would likely do battle with some version of The Illuminati (i.e. the members to which Marvel owns the rights). According to my source, this just isn't happening - not as long as Marvel's got Mark Ruffalo committed to a six-picture deal as Bruce Banner. And that's the primary issue with PLANET HULK: Banner isn't in it at all (unless you count the WHAT IF... story where Banner is immediately killed upon reaching Sakaar).
To make sure, I went to a another source for confirmation, and they backed up every detail. PLANET HULK isn't happening.
I couldn't get either source to spill on Marvel's specific plans for a standalone Hulk movie post-AVENGERS 2, but I'm told that Ruffalo-as-Banner will be an integral part of that film. After two false starts with Banner, Marvel is thrilled with Ruffalo. The last thing they want to do is reduce his role. Sure, they could have Ruffalo play Hulk in mocap, but the Banner element would be gone - and this evidently is important to Marvel.
Just don't expect Marvel to comment officially on any of this. Their m.o. right now is to ignore rumors. In the future, when they've got something to announce, they'll probably do it via press release. At least they'll try to. And the non-trades will keep trying to make their lives miserable.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Here’s A Video Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII’s Millennium Falcon, Highlighting One Little Detail… -- 383 total posts 382 posts
- Is DOCTOR STRANGE coming to us in July 2016?!! -- 408 total posts 212 posts
- Another New (And Rather Cool) INTERSTELLAR Poster!! -- 185 total posts 185 posts
- Meet Bigfoot in this New Clip from EXISTS! -- 187 total posts 92 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 77 total posts 77 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 69 total posts 69 posts
- 3rd PICKS & PEEKS of Sept 2014: Crichton Blus, THE PARTY, Bloody Entertainment, GODZILLA 3D & More!!! -- 674 total posts 63 posts
- This Poster For INSIDIOUS CHAPTER 3 Is Creepy And Requires Reading!! -- 56 total posts 56 posts
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 52 total posts 52 posts
- Fox, Home Of GOTHAM, Makes Pilot Commitment To Project Based On DC Comics’ LUCIFER!! -- 108 total posts 49 posts