About That Phase 3 PLANET HULK Movie Marvel Is Allegedly Developing...
Our good friend El Mayimbe of Latino Review has been on a scooping tear lately. Given his nearly perfect track record (and the fact that I know and respect him personally), I trust his reporting implicitly, and link to his stories the minute they're posted. I'll continue to do this. I mean, on rare occasions, even the trades get stuff wrong. It happens.
And this time, it happened to our pal El Mayimbe.
A few days after Mayimbe broke his big Super Bowl story (which detailed Marvel's Phase 2 and 3 plans for the Hulk), I had a discussion with an extremely well-connected source who claimed the scoop was "1,000% inaccurate". Mayimbe's story claimed THE AVENGERS 2 would conclude with Earth's Mightiest Heroes exiling an erratic Hulk to the planet Sakaar, thereby setting up a standalone PLANET HULK movie (in which Hulk would go all John Carter on some aliens). This would lead to a vengeful Hulk returning to Earth in THE AVENGERS 3, where he would likely do battle with some version of The Illuminati (i.e. the members to which Marvel owns the rights). According to my source, this just isn't happening - not as long as Marvel's got Mark Ruffalo committed to a six-picture deal as Bruce Banner. And that's the primary issue with PLANET HULK: Banner isn't in it at all (unless you count the WHAT IF... story where Banner is immediately killed upon reaching Sakaar).
To make sure, I went to a another source for confirmation, and they backed up every detail. PLANET HULK isn't happening.
I couldn't get either source to spill on Marvel's specific plans for a standalone Hulk movie post-AVENGERS 2, but I'm told that Ruffalo-as-Banner will be an integral part of that film. After two false starts with Banner, Marvel is thrilled with Ruffalo. The last thing they want to do is reduce his role. Sure, they could have Ruffalo play Hulk in mocap, but the Banner element would be gone - and this evidently is important to Marvel.
Just don't expect Marvel to comment officially on any of this. Their m.o. right now is to ignore rumors. In the future, when they've got something to announce, they'll probably do it via press release. At least they'll try to. And the non-trades will keep trying to make their lives miserable.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Microsoft's Reveal Of The Next XBOX Is Upon Us, And Streaming Here!! -- 299 total posts 299 posts
- Has STAR WARS EPISODE VII Landed Its First Non-OT Cast Member? -- 487 total posts 189 posts
- The New WOLVERINE Trailer Brings Forth More Jean Grey!! -- 177 total posts 177 posts
- Harry dives into STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS' spoilers to reveal the truth behind the blockbuster we're seeing! -- 1273 total posts 172 posts
- So which character is going to be the villain in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY!?! -- 150 total posts 150 posts
- Steven Seagal might be joining THE EXPENDABLES 3!! -- 264 total posts 111 posts
- Harry's 21st Picks & Peeks of 2013 has MEDIUM COOL, THE LAST STAND, THE BURNING, BATMAN, MIYAZAKI Blus and more!!! -- 79 total posts 79 posts
- So is JURASSIC PARK IV a remake or a reboot? Sam Neill thinks he has the answer! -- 75 total posts 75 posts
- Steven Spielberg to produce a live action Halo series for Microsoft! -- 58 total posts 58 posts
- Nordling Reviews STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS! Spoilers Abound! You Are Warned! -- 1358 total posts 52 posts