About That Phase 3 PLANET HULK Movie Marvel Is Allegedly Developing...
Our good friend El Mayimbe of Latino Review has been on a scooping tear lately. Given his nearly perfect track record (and the fact that I know and respect him personally), I trust his reporting implicitly, and link to his stories the minute they're posted. I'll continue to do this. I mean, on rare occasions, even the trades get stuff wrong. It happens.
And this time, it happened to our pal El Mayimbe.
A few days after Mayimbe broke his big Super Bowl story (which detailed Marvel's Phase 2 and 3 plans for the Hulk), I had a discussion with an extremely well-connected source who claimed the scoop was "1,000% inaccurate". Mayimbe's story claimed THE AVENGERS 2 would conclude with Earth's Mightiest Heroes exiling an erratic Hulk to the planet Sakaar, thereby setting up a standalone PLANET HULK movie (in which Hulk would go all John Carter on some aliens). This would lead to a vengeful Hulk returning to Earth in THE AVENGERS 3, where he would likely do battle with some version of The Illuminati (i.e. the members to which Marvel owns the rights). According to my source, this just isn't happening - not as long as Marvel's got Mark Ruffalo committed to a six-picture deal as Bruce Banner. And that's the primary issue with PLANET HULK: Banner isn't in it at all (unless you count the WHAT IF... story where Banner is immediately killed upon reaching Sakaar).
To make sure, I went to a another source for confirmation, and they backed up every detail. PLANET HULK isn't happening.
I couldn't get either source to spill on Marvel's specific plans for a standalone Hulk movie post-AVENGERS 2, but I'm told that Ruffalo-as-Banner will be an integral part of that film. After two false starts with Banner, Marvel is thrilled with Ruffalo. The last thing they want to do is reduce his role. Sure, they could have Ruffalo play Hulk in mocap, but the Banner element would be gone - and this evidently is important to Marvel.
Just don't expect Marvel to comment officially on any of this. Their m.o. right now is to ignore rumors. In the future, when they've got something to announce, they'll probably do it via press release. At least they'll try to. And the non-trades will keep trying to make their lives miserable.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Cyborg is confirmed to appear in BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN, and we know who's going to play him! -- 248 total posts 11 posts
- UPDATED (17:15) with image of the cast in character! Meet Jon M. Chu's JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS!! -- 95 total posts 3 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 80 total posts 2 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 455 total posts 2 posts
- The Trailer For JESSABELLE! -- 24 total posts 2 posts
- Here's A Trailer For AS ABOVE SO BELOW!! Freaky Madness In The Catacombs Of Paris!! -- 29 total posts 1 post
- 4th Week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: SORCERER, GET CARTER, PAWNBROKER, Slasher horror & more!!! -- 175 total posts 1 post
- Clark Gregg navigates the world of Hollywood child actors with Sam Rockwell, Allison Janney, and William H. Macy in this TRUST ME trailer! -- 22 total posts 1 post
- SWEEPS DAY ONE!! Tammy 2 On The PARKS AND RECREATION Finale!! The Premieres Of BAD TEACHER And BLACK BOX!! New PORTLANDIA, ELEMENTARY, VIKINGS, BANG, HALF, MILLERS, CRAZY, KITCHEN, IDOL, JACK, GREY’S, VAMPIRE, REIGN, ANGER!! Sarah Hyland On LETTERMAN!! Gary Gulman On SETH!! SNL Digital Shorts!! Herc's Thursday TV Talkback!! -- 9 total posts 1 post
- THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN Is Now Called... -- 217 total posts 1 post