About That Phase 3 PLANET HULK Movie Marvel Is Allegedly Developing...
Our good friend El Mayimbe of Latino Review has been on a scooping tear lately. Given his nearly perfect track record (and the fact that I know and respect him personally), I trust his reporting implicitly, and link to his stories the minute they're posted. I'll continue to do this. I mean, on rare occasions, even the trades get stuff wrong. It happens.
And this time, it happened to our pal El Mayimbe.
A few days after Mayimbe broke his big Super Bowl story (which detailed Marvel's Phase 2 and 3 plans for the Hulk), I had a discussion with an extremely well-connected source who claimed the scoop was "1,000% inaccurate". Mayimbe's story claimed THE AVENGERS 2 would conclude with Earth's Mightiest Heroes exiling an erratic Hulk to the planet Sakaar, thereby setting up a standalone PLANET HULK movie (in which Hulk would go all John Carter on some aliens). This would lead to a vengeful Hulk returning to Earth in THE AVENGERS 3, where he would likely do battle with some version of The Illuminati (i.e. the members to which Marvel owns the rights). According to my source, this just isn't happening - not as long as Marvel's got Mark Ruffalo committed to a six-picture deal as Bruce Banner. And that's the primary issue with PLANET HULK: Banner isn't in it at all (unless you count the WHAT IF... story where Banner is immediately killed upon reaching Sakaar).
To make sure, I went to a another source for confirmation, and they backed up every detail. PLANET HULK isn't happening.
I couldn't get either source to spill on Marvel's specific plans for a standalone Hulk movie post-AVENGERS 2, but I'm told that Ruffalo-as-Banner will be an integral part of that film. After two false starts with Banner, Marvel is thrilled with Ruffalo. The last thing they want to do is reduce his role. Sure, they could have Ruffalo play Hulk in mocap, but the Banner element would be gone - and this evidently is important to Marvel.
Just don't expect Marvel to comment officially on any of this. Their m.o. right now is to ignore rumors. In the future, when they've got something to announce, they'll probably do it via press release. At least they'll try to. And the non-trades will keep trying to make their lives miserable.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- So The MAN OF STEEL Sequel Has (At Least) A Third Superhero In It... -- 648 total posts 107 posts
- Joe Dante's Making A New Movie Called BURYING THE EX And You Can Be A Part Of It! -- 43 total posts 38 posts
- Beatles' manager Brian Epstein to get his own flick, entitled THE FIFTH BEATLE! -- 61 total posts 34 posts
- WARCRAFT is getting its cast together! Adds Ben Foster, Dominic Cooper, Toby Kebbell, and more! -- 65 total posts 22 posts
- More Angry Volcano Action in this New Trailer for Pompeii! -- 65 total posts 20 posts
- A New 300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE Trailer Brings The Xerxes!! -- 69 total posts 17 posts
- SNL Christmas!! Titties And Dragons On SOUTH PARK!! Tyson Entrée On Antepenultimate SURVIVOR!! HOARDING Finale!! New BURNING LOVE, GIRL CODE, MODERN, MIDDLE, AHS, X, SOUP, PICKERS!! Herc’s Wednesday TV Talkback!! -- 46 total posts 15 posts
- More pics of zombied-out Aubrey Plaza in LIFE AFTER BETH! -- 50 total posts 15 posts
- Fan Of The 2010 Paul Bettany Angry Angel Movie LEGION?? Syfy Just Ordered To Series The TV Version!! -- 18 total posts 14 posts
- Rinko Kikuchi looks for the buried loot from FARGO in KUMIKO, THE TREASURE HUNTER (based on a true story)! -- 27 total posts 14 posts