About That Phase 3 PLANET HULK Movie Marvel Is Allegedly Developing...
Our good friend El Mayimbe of Latino Review has been on a scooping tear lately. Given his nearly perfect track record (and the fact that I know and respect him personally), I trust his reporting implicitly, and link to his stories the minute they're posted. I'll continue to do this. I mean, on rare occasions, even the trades get stuff wrong. It happens.
And this time, it happened to our pal El Mayimbe.
A few days after Mayimbe broke his big Super Bowl story (which detailed Marvel's Phase 2 and 3 plans for the Hulk), I had a discussion with an extremely well-connected source who claimed the scoop was "1,000% inaccurate". Mayimbe's story claimed THE AVENGERS 2 would conclude with Earth's Mightiest Heroes exiling an erratic Hulk to the planet Sakaar, thereby setting up a standalone PLANET HULK movie (in which Hulk would go all John Carter on some aliens). This would lead to a vengeful Hulk returning to Earth in THE AVENGERS 3, where he would likely do battle with some version of The Illuminati (i.e. the members to which Marvel owns the rights). According to my source, this just isn't happening - not as long as Marvel's got Mark Ruffalo committed to a six-picture deal as Bruce Banner. And that's the primary issue with PLANET HULK: Banner isn't in it at all (unless you count the WHAT IF... story where Banner is immediately killed upon reaching Sakaar).
To make sure, I went to a another source for confirmation, and they backed up every detail. PLANET HULK isn't happening.
I couldn't get either source to spill on Marvel's specific plans for a standalone Hulk movie post-AVENGERS 2, but I'm told that Ruffalo-as-Banner will be an integral part of that film. After two false starts with Banner, Marvel is thrilled with Ruffalo. The last thing they want to do is reduce his role. Sure, they could have Ruffalo play Hulk in mocap, but the Banner element would be gone - and this evidently is important to Marvel.
Just don't expect Marvel to comment officially on any of this. Their m.o. right now is to ignore rumors. In the future, when they've got something to announce, they'll probably do it via press release. At least they'll try to. And the non-trades will keep trying to make their lives miserable.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 296 total posts 146 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 295 total posts 14 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 575 total posts 9 posts
- MTV Movie Awards drops an opening scene from X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST! And it rocks! -- 317 total posts 4 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 194 total posts 4 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 224 total posts 4 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 249 total posts 3 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 195 total posts 2 posts
- Stallone Talks EXPENDABLES Casting Approach!! Nicholson!?!? -- 288 total posts 2 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 117 total posts 2 posts