It seems likely that we'll see Luke Skywalker in the new Star Wars Trilogy! Mark Hamill speaks!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Right now the new Star Wars is like an exciting puzzle. Every few days we're given a new piece and we're trying to figure out how everything's going to fit together.
Last week's big piece was that Harrison Ford was likely to return as Han Solo, which means today's news that Mark Hamill is likely to return as Luke Skywalker isn't much of a surprise, but an interesting indicator of things to come.
We all knew that George Lucas met with Carrie Fisher and Hamill before the sale of Lucasfilm and many fans (including myself) speculated that meant he was giving them a heads up to get into fighting shape to return to a galaxy far, far away.
Turns out that was mostly right. According to Hamill, Lucas told them about the sale and their proposed involvement in the new trilogy, but that if they didn't want to return they'd "write them out" ie kill them off screen like Hicks in Alien 3.
Hamill told Entertainment Tonight that no contracts have been signed, but it seems clear that neither Hamill nor Fisher wanted to be killed off since they're both slated to meet with Kathleen Kennedy and screenwriter Michael Arndt in the near future.
Hamill further speculates he'd take on an Obi-Wan style mentor position and the films will be about the trio's kids, but it's only speculation at this point... however, he was around when Lucas had meticulously mapped out the further Skywalker adventures and from we know of his framework the next trilogy would indeed introduce their kids, but I hope they're not going to treat the old guard like cameos. That I wouldn't be in favor of, but if Luke, Han and Leia play a huge part in the next trilogy... well, goddamnit, I'm excited about Star Wars again.
When can we start the "bring back Lando" petition?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Could These International TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES Posters Win Over A Skeptical 7(ish) Year Old?? -- 111 total posts 111 posts
- Behold The Blazing New Poster For THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES!! -- 82 total posts 82 posts
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay to bring you MANIMAL: THE MOVIE! -- 213 total posts 72 posts
- Sony Says Fuck It, Announces Release Dates For THE SINISTER SIX And THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3! -- 69 total posts 69 posts
- Idris Elba to play one of Guy Ritchie's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE! -- 391 total posts 64 posts
- "I would never order an alcoholic beverage on the bridge..." Trailer for SPACE STATION 76 has its heart firmly in place and its tongue firmly in cheek! -- 101 total posts 52 posts
- Aye! The Next PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN Film Has An Official Release Date!! -- 45 total posts 45 posts
- Learn Which Movie Star Just Signed On To HBO’s Jonathan Nolan/Bad Robot Pilot WESTWORLD!! -- 37 total posts 37 posts
- 4th Week of July 2014 PICKS & PEEKS: Werewolves, BLUE RUIN, Nordic Noir, ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE + more! -- 193 total posts 35 posts
- Edgar Wright's Next Project Revealed! -- 140 total posts 32 posts