Hercules Says The CW’s CULT Is Unlikely To Garner A Following!!
A tale of murder and television, "Cult" is masterminded by writer-producer Rockne S. O’Bannon, who previously created “SeaQuest,” “Farscape,” “The Triangle,” and the 21st century “V" remake.
“Cult” airs on The CW, and it deals with a different series called “Cult,” also apparently airing on The CW. (Does it bring in better ratings than “90210” and “Nikita”?)
It’s a messy, confusing pilot and not a very entertaining one. Apparently the superfan brother of a disgraced investigative journalist is kidnapped because he’s close to unraveling some sort of secret code embedded in the “Cult” TV show. Were fans kidnapped who figured out early that everybody was really dead during season six of “Lost”?
Is there a bigger secret, like President Obama was really born on the Planet Kolob or Altair 4? Why embed clues to that in a CW drama? And for whom?
And where in the real world are these ridiculous TV-fandom cafes the show seems to be depicting?
I really can’t see any of this going anywhere good or interesting enough for “Cult” to outlast “Emily Owens M.D.”
But please don’t take my word for it. Its pilot has been online for at least a week:
... The scariest thing about this mildly ominous thriller may be the shameless heights to which it takes network self-promotion. …
... "Cult" could work over time, but it could also implode because it's a very high-concept show. In other words, it depends heavily on the gimmick of the show within a show, refracted by social media. Beyond the gimmick, will there be enough to maintain our interest? If not, "Cult" could easily wind up as one TV show in search of an audience.
... the concept of The CW's new drama series "Cult" is strong. But the execution is weak. … Tuesday's premiere offers no cause to clamor for more.
... too messy and unnecessarily complex to be the show it could and should be. The premiere is a crowded and sometimes confusing piece of work, with too many back stories, exposition awkwardly stuffed into the dialogue, and an excess of meta-reference. Show creator Rockne S. O’Bannon tries to give us pieces of the show-within-the-show right away, causing a traffic jam of material. …
... Unfortunately, most everything we can see in Tuesday's pilot, and everything we know about CW, screams "no." Why would you trust the folks at CW to manage a show-within-a-show when "show" alone generally escapes them? …
... sounds like a good idea on paper and, alas, that's probably where it should have stayed. … falls victim to its confusing mumbo-jumbo and indifferent casting. …
9 p.m. Tuesday. The CW.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Alex Kurtzman (as in Kurtzman and Orci) to direct the MUMMY reboot...yay?!! -- 155 total posts 56 posts
- New Trailer For Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR Is Here! Let's Light This Candle! -- 287 total posts 42 posts
- HBO Greenlights New Class Warfare Miniseries From THE WIRE Mastermind David Simon!! -- 73 total posts 37 posts
- Jeremy Talks GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, ANT-MAN And Comic Con With Kevin Feige! -- 164 total posts 26 posts
- Trailer for NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM 3...yeah, you're welcome! -- 180 total posts 19 posts
- First Poster for THE HATEFUL EIGHT Arrives, Confirming 2015 Release! -- 140 total posts 17 posts
- Find Out How E.T. Nearly Killed Video Games In Trailer For Zak Penn's Documentary, ATARI: GAME OVER! -- 370 total posts 14 posts
- Is a New TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE Film in the Works? -- 43 total posts 14 posts
- NBC Hires A PILF To Play Peter Pan Opposite Walken’s Captain Hook!! -- 27 total posts 11 posts
- New Images Invite You INTO THE WOODS! -- 44 total posts 6 posts