Hercules Says The CW’s CULT Is Unlikely To Garner A Following!!
A tale of murder and television, "Cult" is masterminded by writer-producer Rockne S. O’Bannon, who previously created “SeaQuest,” “Farscape,” “The Triangle,” and the 21st century “V" remake.
“Cult” airs on The CW, and it deals with a different series called “Cult,” also apparently airing on The CW. (Does it bring in better ratings than “90210” and “Nikita”?)
It’s a messy, confusing pilot and not a very entertaining one. Apparently the superfan brother of a disgraced investigative journalist is kidnapped because he’s close to unraveling some sort of secret code embedded in the “Cult” TV show. Were fans kidnapped who figured out early that everybody was really dead during season six of “Lost”?
Is there a bigger secret, like President Obama was really born on the Planet Kolob or Altair 4? Why embed clues to that in a CW drama? And for whom?
And where in the real world are these ridiculous TV-fandom cafes the show seems to be depicting?
I really can’t see any of this going anywhere good or interesting enough for “Cult” to outlast “Emily Owens M.D.”
But please don’t take my word for it. Its pilot has been online for at least a week:
... The scariest thing about this mildly ominous thriller may be the shameless heights to which it takes network self-promotion. …
... "Cult" could work over time, but it could also implode because it's a very high-concept show. In other words, it depends heavily on the gimmick of the show within a show, refracted by social media. Beyond the gimmick, will there be enough to maintain our interest? If not, "Cult" could easily wind up as one TV show in search of an audience.
... the concept of The CW's new drama series "Cult" is strong. But the execution is weak. … Tuesday's premiere offers no cause to clamor for more.
... too messy and unnecessarily complex to be the show it could and should be. The premiere is a crowded and sometimes confusing piece of work, with too many back stories, exposition awkwardly stuffed into the dialogue, and an excess of meta-reference. Show creator Rockne S. O’Bannon tries to give us pieces of the show-within-the-show right away, causing a traffic jam of material. …
... Unfortunately, most everything we can see in Tuesday's pilot, and everything we know about CW, screams "no." Why would you trust the folks at CW to manage a show-within-a-show when "show" alone generally escapes them? …
... sounds like a good idea on paper and, alas, that's probably where it should have stayed. … falls victim to its confusing mumbo-jumbo and indifferent casting. …
9 p.m. Tuesday. The CW.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- You're going to have to wait until 2017 to fly again with Hiccup and Toothless in HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 3! -- 38 total posts 11 posts
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 228 total posts 10 posts
- WIRE Reunion!! Clarke Peters Joins Winona Ryder, James Belushi, Daniel Stern, Alfred Molina, Catherine Keener And Oscar Isaac For David Simon’s HBO Class-Warfare Miniseries SHOW ME A HERO!! -- 19 total posts 8 posts
- Guillermo del Toro and Legendary Teaming Up with YouTube for Halloween Short Films Project! -- 38 total posts 7 posts
- A Badass GAME OF THRONES Sword Guy Has Apparently Been Cast In STAR WARS EPISODE VII!! -- 164 total posts 5 posts
- Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling to bust some heads as Shane Black's NICE GUYS in July 2016! -- 42 total posts 5 posts
- Ridley Scott Says The BLADE RUNNER Sequel Is Written And It’s… -- 470 total posts 4 posts
- BBC Issues DOCTOR WHO: ‘Robot of Sherwood’ Promo Images!! + DOCTOR WHO EXTRAs For ‘Deep Breath’ And ‘Into the Dalek’ Are Now On YouTube!! -- 81 total posts 4 posts
-- 25 total posts 3 posts
- New Red-Band Trailer For ABCs OF DEATH 2 Ain't Fucking Around! -- 36 total posts 2 posts