The First-Ever Pilot
Directed By Ridley Scott
Will Star Kyle Chandler!!
Kyle Chandler (“Friday Night Lights,” “Argo,” “Zero Dark Thirty”) will play a man who has no sex for Showtime’s “The Vatican,” the first TV pilot ever directed by Sir Ridley Scott.
The proposed series will follow Cardinal Thomas Duffy, the progressive archbishop of New York who finds himself in Rome dealing with Papal politics.
The pilot script is by Paul Attanasio, who previously created “Homicide: Life On The Street” and “Gideon’s Crossing.” He also scripted “Quiz Show,” “Disclosure,” “Donnie Brasco,” “Sphere,” “The Sum of All Fears,” and “The Good German.”
EMMY® AWARD WINNER KYLE CHANDLER SECURES LEAD ROLE IN THE VATICAN ON SHOWTIME®
Acclaimed Actors Matthew Goode And Sebastian Koch Also Join The Cast
LOS ANGELES, CA – (February 15, 2013) – Emmy Award winner Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights, Argo, Zero Dark Thirty) has been cast in the lead role of the drama pilot THE VATICAN, a provocative contemporary genre thriller about spirituality, power and politics – set against the modern-day political machinations within the Catholic church. Chandler will portray Cardinal Thomas Duffy, the charismatic yet enigmatic Archbishop of New York, whose progressive leanings excite some and alarm others within the hierarchy of the Catholic Church. Acclaimed actors Matthew Goode (A Single Man) and Sebastian Koch (A Good Day to Die Hard) have also joined the cast. THE VATICAN will begin production in 2013 and is being produced by Sony Pictures Television in association with SHOWTIME for series consideration. The announcement was made today by David Nevins, President of Entertainment, Showtime Networks Inc.
“Kyle Chandler is one of the most talented and sought-after actors working today, and was a fantastic creative partner through five seasons of Friday Night Lights," said Nevins. "With Kyle, Matthew Goode and Sebastian Koch, Ridley and Paul have put together a powerhouse cast to anchor this incredibly timely show.”
A beloved actor on the small and big screen, Chandler is best known to audiences for his Emmy-winning role as Coach Eric Taylor on Friday Night Lights. His film credits include Super 8, The Day the Earth Stood Still, King Kong, Broken City, and two Academy Award®-nominated films this year for Best Motion Picture, Argo and Zero Dark Thirty. His television roles include lead and guest starring roles on Early Edition, Homefront, What About Joan and Grey’s Anatomy. Chandler can next be seen in the feature film The Wolf of Wall Street, directed by Martin Scorsese.
Acclaimed actor Matthew Goode has been cast in the role of Papal Secretary Bernd Koch, the current Pope’s closest confidante – giving him a very powerful perch within the inner-circle of the Vatican. Goode’s feature film credits include Stoker opposite Nicole Kidman and Mia Wasikowska, A Single Man, Watchmen, Match Point, The Lookout, Brideshead Revisited and Chasing Liberty. He currently stars in the BBC miniseries Dancing on the Edge, which will air in the US later this year.
With appearances on stage, television and film, Sebastian Koch is one of Germany’s most successful actors, and will play Cardinal Marco Malerba, the Vatican's Secretary of State. Malerba is informally known as the "dark prince of the Curia" for his proven abilities to ruthlessly wield power within the Church hierarchy. Koch’s credits include a lead role in the 2007 Oscar® winner for Best Foreign Language Film The Lives of Others, as well as Sea Wolf, Paul Verhoeven's Black Book, Camelot, and the action thriller A Good Day to Die Hard.
THE VATICAN will explore the relationships and rivalries as well as the mysteries and miracles behind one of the world's most hidden institutions. Two–time Oscar nominee (Quiz Show, Donnie Brasco) and three-time Emmy nominee (House M.D.) Paul Attanasio wrote the hour-long script. Master of modern day cinema and triple Oscar nominee and Golden Globe®-winner Sir Ridley Scott (Gladiator, Prometheus) will direct the pilot – marking his first ever for television. Attanasio, Scott, and David Zucker (The Good Wife) will serve as executive producers.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- That rumor about Sony selling SPIDER-MAN? Don't you believe it for a second! -- 401 total posts 225 posts
- Holy Crossover!! Magneto’s Boy Quicksilver To Be In Whedon’s AVENGERS 2 And Singer’s X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST?? -- 197 total posts 197 posts
- Papa Vinyard thinks that HANGOVER: PART III was a paycheck grab for a buncha people who are already rich!! -- 173 total posts 173 posts
- The METALLICA THROUGH THE NEVER Teaser! -- 183 total posts 117 posts
- New MAN OF STEEL trailer makes me happy that Superman has severe red eye!!! -- 785 total posts 113 posts
- Next on the Reboot assemblyline? TIMECOP!! -- 141 total posts 97 posts
- Sandler, Piss, Barf, And Hayek Grace The New GROWN UPS 2 Trailer!! -- 90 total posts 90 posts
- Green-Band and Red-Band trailers for the new Jason Sudeikis & Jennifer Aniston VACATION ripoff, WE'RE THE MILLERS are here!! -- 87 total posts 87 posts
- Seems Coppola Is Gearing Up For A New Italian-American Epic!? -- 85 total posts 85 posts
- We have some new details on the POLTERGEIST remake/reboot/sequel!! -- 205 total posts 55 posts